Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to you repair/paint wheel rim rashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TJGreen1955

Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2022
USA
I've got a wheel rim rash from hitting the curb as I turned into my parking spot. Any suggestions on what to use to paint it? I thought of buying a black paint kit from Tesla, but prefer not to since my car is blue. Thank you.

I purchased Zink Wheels' Touch-Up Paint for Tesla Tesla Model Y 20" Induction wheels to repair a minor unintentional :mad: self inflicted curbie, and it matched my rim perfectly. Instructions are detailed and the paint is easy to apply and stays permanent.
1660491755441.png

Man, am I disappointed that I spent $2K on the induction wheel option. What moron engineer designed a costly wheel in which the rim itself protrudes out further than the tire? All you have to do is touch the curb lightly while rolling and the finish is wasted. Even though I'm generally pretty careful, sometimes it just happens. The aluminum alloy used is so soft that it gets shredded so easily. I've been smoothing the lumps out with a sanding block and then using a paint pen to make it black again. Works fairly well to the casual observer. Until you touch the curb again. Terribly disappointed with such a poor design from this otherwise outstanding company.

Reactions: KurtSanders
Man, am I disappointed that I spent $2K on the induction wheel option. What moron engineer designed a costly wheel in which the rim itself protrudes out further than the tire? All you have to do is touch the curb lightly while rolling and the finish is wasted. Even though I'm generally pretty careful, sometimes it just happens. The aluminum alloy used is so soft that it gets shredded so easily. I've been smoothing the lumps out with a sanding block and then using a paint pen to make it black again. Works fairly well to the casual observer. Until you touch the curb again. Terribly disappointed with such a poor design from this otherwise outstanding company.

Its not really the design of the wheel that makes it protrude. Its because Tesla fits a smaller tire from the factory for that "stretched look". My guess is that its mostly for aesthetics and aerodynamics second. You can buy larger sized tires that will easily protect the rim as many on this forum have already done.

Here's an example from: Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

IMG_3193.JPG

Another example from your own thread from last year: Poorly Designed Induction Wheels

CF1F04F8-C868-40FD-A3EE-7F2686CFE2DF.jpeg

Reactions: nate704
I guess I can spend $1500 to replace already good tires just to fix a problem that never should be in the first place. Sorry I don't know what a 'stretched' look is.

Function is beauty. But sadly it's fashion before function.
Your complaint is valid but it's not the fault of the wheel design or some "moron engineer" as you initially stated. All tires need to be regularly replaced anyways so it's something you can do eventually without incurring extra cost.

I think this "stretched tire" is not for "fashion". here is my theory:

When Tesla designed the car and wheels, Tesla had to fill the wheel well with proper wheel with good width and offset. If you put too narrow wheel, the overall look of the car will be weird and unbalanced. So, they installed the wider wheels, but decided to put the narrow tires to increase the EPA range numbers..

Hi guys.
Got a new M3 with the 18” aero wheels. A moment of distraction and I now I am looking at the right front and rear rims with scratches.
Has anyone had to live through this ? I am looking to see which paint would best match the rim. I’d like to do the whole thing by myself and that YouTube was very helpful. Just trying to figure out which paint to use.
Thanks a lot for your replies.