Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Tesla demo FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care about any demo videos from anyone including Tesla. Hollywood makes better videos.

Sure, I agree. Except we don't have it in our hands, nor does the public, and the people likely to get earliest access have quite a lot invested in Tesla (tons of referrals, expensive cars, or whatever). So our best alternative is to see a thorough demo. I'll also say that even though I'm an investor, I take everything that the investors at the event say with a grain of salt because they also have a strong bias.

I want CUSTOMER TESTIMONIALS. In the dozens and hundreds. I have that in plenty for Tesla Autopilot 2.5 - over 386 Youtube videos by John Tesla-owner Doe driven by AP in highways, back roads, windy mountains, rain etc..

I'm after facts here. Testimonials rely too much on the person testifying. Look at how many people say NoA works flawlessly for them, when there are dozens of us here in this thread that can reliably reproduce errors.

Here is mine: My Model 3 AP is so bloody damn good, it drives me close to 90% of my travel. I really don't care for the rest 10% to make it to FSD. I am very satisfied with AP in its current form.

My point proven. You live in a state with extremely simplistic interstates, and your roads don't exactly undulate very much. In my case, I can drive on one of several roads near me where the road dips and climbs over a short distance. The radar unit obviously sees a wall or tarmac and hits the brakes so I don't crash. But it's just a hill, and I'm approaching its base while descending another hill.

I'm satisfied with EAP/NoAP on long stretches of 3-4 lane interstate for the most part. I'm not satisfied with the acceleration and deceleration while changing lanes. I'm not satisfied with the apparently random distance from the vehicle in front of me that TACC decides to slow down, and I'm very much not happy with the hysteresis of TACC when following a vehicle that slows and speeds up frequently because the driver sucks.

These might seem like nits to pick, but they make my passengers motion sick. As long as it does that, it's not usable.

Another positive testimony from the test drives:
upload_2019-4-23_6-22-31.png

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
I knew you won't call out a weak video. What i tell u? you never change.

No, I admit the video is not as impressive as a Mobileye or Waymo demo but at the same time, still think it is a good video. The two things are not mutually exclusive. The video shows a huge improvement over what Autopilot used to do.

Last edited:
Sure, I agree. Except we don't have it in our hands, nor does the public, and the people likely to get earliest access have quite a lot invested in Tesla (tons of referrals, expensive cars, or whatever). So our best alternative is to see a thorough demo. I'll also say that even though I'm an investor, I take everything that the investors at the event say with a grain of salt because they also have a strong bias.

I'm after facts here. Testimonials rely too much on the person testifying. Look at how many people say NoA works flawlessly for them, when there are dozens of us here in this thread that can reliably reproduce errors.

My point proven. You live in a state with extremely simplistic interstates, and your roads don't exactly undulate very much. In my case, I can drive on one of several roads near me where the road dips and climbs over a short distance. The radar unit obviously sees a wall or tarmac and hits the brakes so I don't crash. But it's just a hill, and I'm approaching its base while descending another hill.

I'm satisfied with EAP/NoAP on long stretches of 3-4 lane interstate for the most part. I'm not satisfied with the acceleration and deceleration while changing lanes. I'm not satisfied with the apparently random distance from the vehicle in front of me that TACC decides to slow down, and I'm very much not happy with the hysteresis of TACC when following a vehicle that slows and speeds up frequently because the driver sucks.

These might seem like nits to pick, but they make my passengers motion sick. As long as it does that, it's not usable.
I guess you are one of those who say, glass is 1/100th empty?

For me it works, and it is true I am guessing for over 90% of Tesla drivers. I will take that.. There is always for someone somewhere it doesn't work.

If it is not a pre-planned route, don't you think the FSD will be production now and in my hands? because it is still in development, they are doing a pre-determined route

If its a per-determined route what is the point of the demo? Waymo can drive on its own today and Tesla is claiming their technology is better. I was expecting something more impressive.

@Bladerskb Yesterday, Tesla proved that they are catching up fast. They have great hardware, they have great camera vision, they don't need LIDAR, they have great fleet learning. And the videos and testimonies show that Tesla has very promising self-driving that is almost feature complete. And Tesla will be able to deploy their software to more cars much quicker than anyone else. So you can question my integrity, and cherry pick youtube videos, but you are winning battles only to lose the war. At the end of the day, Tesla is pushing forward and will probably deploy L3+ self-driving to all their cars in a couple years while the stupid legacy auto makers are twiddling their thumbs.

And you said it yourself, the auto makers are too dumb to take advantage of what Mobileye has. So Mobileye will probably sit on a ready to go, state of the art, FSD kit that only a handful of auto makers actually deploy. And Waymo is only interested in local ride sharing. What good is their huge advantage in tech if they can't deploy it fast enough?

Reactions: generalenthu
Have you tried slowing down the video and focusing on the visuals on the screen? The intersection/stop sign/stop light tracking is really fascinating to watch.
Not sure about the person you are targeting but I would think the many short sellers here aren’t interested in your suggestion. Ever wonder what will be on the tombstone of a short? How about: Made lots of money rooting for the failure and misery of others, but contributed nothing to the world.

I have participated in a lot of different message boards going back to the old Usenet days, but never remember seeing these huge numbers of vermin who have no interest in the topic except to see its ultimate failure.

Last edited:
Not sure about the person you are targeting but I would think short sellers aren’t interested in your suggestion. Ever wonder what will be on the tombstone of a short? How about; Make lots of money rooting for the failure and misery of others.

Being a short seller isn't a permanent affliction! It's always possible for an individual to reverse their positions, especially if they see themselves losing money.

Being a short seller isn't a permanent affliction! It's always possible for an individual to reverse their positions, especially if they see themselves losing money.
Playing the stock market or gambling in Vegas is one thing but stalking a company and/or spending significant time trying to undermine them is quite another.

Back to the topic. I enjoyed the presentations by Tesla staff yesterday, but Elon reminded me of Elvis the last time I saw him perform, albeit 100 pounds lighter. Burnout wouldn’t be a surprise but hopefully it doesn’t become even more serious.It also occurred to me he may be dreading tomorrow’s report on the first quarter.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced at all that this shows a major step towards FSD at all. The Waymo system is way ahead of what was shown here.

There was very little traffic on the local roads, there was no cross traffic at any stop that the car had to wait for, nor were there any pedestrians or bicycles. The killer (literally) is going to be all the corner cases and they didn't show anything close to one.

The proof will be in the pudding. Time to watch them release features over the rest of the year. If FSD purchasers begin getting "feature complete" L2/L3 system at the end of the year, that will begin changing minds.

Right now all you can do is trust that the hardware software approach is correct. (or not ;))