Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's Your AC Holding Up? My Compressor's Loud, Failed 3 Times in 3 Years, and Struggles to Cool. Also "same" repair jumped from $1,195 → $2,030.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all.

Have a 2017 S 75D with ~185k on the clock. Very pleased with the car but running into systemic AC issues - specifically compressor (part number 1063369-00-J) failures - see my prior post on the subject for more info.

What's currently happening: AC compressor is becoming louder and louder and the ability for the car to cool is waning. Yes, it still blows cool air but a setting of "65" is more akin to "72" temperature wise and certainly no where near the prior levels when I took delivery of the car or after having the AC system serviced.

What's frustrating is I've been here before with a similar failure pattern, replaced the condenser and desiccant bag, only to have the part re-fail on what appears to be a yearly basis with 2022 being the third instance of this.

While I understand parts fail, I suspect three similar failures of the same part - the compressor - in three years seems excessive. Not an AC tech by any means but I suspect there's some underlying cause (e.g. slow coolant leak?) which is causing the downstream failure of the compressor. Tesla's fix in the past has just been to replace the compressor and desiccant bag, and while I do not mind replacing these parts if they are indeed failing, I also want to know why they are chronically failing as yearly replacement of a compressor seems outside any reasonable expitation.

Moreover, the invoice for the same request has jumped from ~$1.1k → $2k not withstanding inflation (i.e. Tesla's labor rate went from $165 → $215 from 2021 → 2022), I'm struggling to understand how the same service is almost double what is was prior...assuming the SC did not throw everything on an invoice as a 'worst case' and will then modify needed items off as the repairs get underway.

I'm also struggling to understand why a "J" part number is being replaced with an "H", but can follow up with the SC on this one.

But the real crux is I don't think Tesla's correctly IDing the route causes of the annual compressor failures and while replacement of the part """fixes""" the symptom, it does not appear to resolve the underlying issue and crusing through the just-drop-2k-per-annum-on-replacing-compressors doesn't strike me as a reasonable solution.

Can post a YT video if anyone wants to hear the issue and would greatly appreciate any experiences other members have had in dealing with the Tesla HVAC.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AC Compressor Comparison redacted.pdf
    289.2 KB · Views: 205
I had tremendous problems with my AC when I first got the car in 2013 and even when working it was really loud (super loud humming noise). Somewhere along the way the compressor got replaced after the compressor completely failed (on a road trip to Charleston in the summer unfortunately) after which, things have generally been good. Lately on super hot muggy days (aren't they all like that lately though?) the a/c will blow tepid air and I've theorized that the coolant line is iced over, so I turn the a/c off for 3-4 minutes and then back on, seems to work.

At any rate, on my early Model S 85, 3 things have been consistently frustrating cabin temperature regulation (much better tho over the past few years), defroster, and windshield sprayers.

Upvote 0
Greetings all.

Have a 2017 S 75D with ~185k on the clock. Very pleased with the car but running into systemic AC issues - specifically compressor (part number 1063369-00-J) failures - see my prior post on the subject for more info.

What's currently happening: AC compressor is becoming louder and louder and the ability for the car to cool is waning. Yes, it still blows cool air but a setting of "65" is more akin to "72" temperature wise and certainly no where near the prior levels when I took delivery of the car or after having the AC system serviced.

What's frustrating is I've been here before with a similar failure pattern, replaced the condenser and desiccant bag, only to have the part re-fail on what appears to be a yearly basis with 2022 being the third instance of this.

While I understand parts fail, I suspect three similar failures of the same part - the compressor - in three years seems excessive. Not an AC tech by any means but I suspect there's some underlying cause (e.g. slow coolant leak?) which is causing the downstream failure of the compressor. Tesla's fix in the past has just been to replace the compressor and desiccant bag, and while I do not mind replacing these parts if they are indeed failing, I also want to know why they are chronically failing as yearly replacement of a compressor seems outside any reasonable expitation.

Moreover, the invoice for the same request has jumped from ~$1.1k → $2k not withstanding inflation (i.e. Tesla's labor rate went from $165 → $215 from 2021 → 2022), I'm struggling to understand how the same service is almost double what is was prior...assuming the SC did not throw everything on an invoice as a 'worst case' and will then modify needed items off as the repairs get underway.

I'm also struggling to understand why a "J" part number is being replaced with an "H", but can follow up with the SC on this one.

But the real crux is I don't think Tesla's correctly IDing the route causes of the annual compressor failures and while replacement of the part """fixes""" the symptom, it does not appear to resolve the underlying issue and crusing through the just-drop-2k-per-annum-on-replacing-compressors doesn't strike me as a reasonable solution.

Can post a YT video if anyone wants to hear the issue and would greatly appreciate any experiences other members have had in dealing with the Tesla HVAC.

Thanks!
If the system is low on charge slightly it will still cool but it wont cool the compressor ..i would make sure the refrigerant charge is correct and then look at the suction pressure and discharge temp of compressor to find out what's going on....i dont know the spec on the software but im sure its programmed with a big window to prevent false codes ..if the suction pressure is allowed to be near a vacuum for along time it will damage the compressor

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was waiting in line in Tesla Service Center yesterday and there was a guy in front of me the with exactly the same problem. Technicial immediately advised to replace the compressor, and since his Model S was out of warranty, there was a significant bill attached to it. Is it a common issue with pre-heatpump Teslas?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Upvote 0
Greetings all.

Thanks!
Very interesting story. I think we should form a committee and get to the bottom of this. I have a 2016 model X and was charged 1850 for a AC replacement in 9/2022, because the AC was blowing hot air. No DC charging reduced warning sign, nothing. 5 months and 5K miles later, the AC is blowing hot air again...complete failure! TESLA will comp the AC unit, but refrigerant, "flush" and "searching for a leak" comes out to 1300 Dollars....that's a total of 3100 bucks in 5 months...am I dreaming?

Upvote 0
Apologies for the bump - don't think I can edit my OP to include these links. Similar issues cropping up in the MX forum.

Upvote 0

[SX] HVCC A/C compressor internal failure resulting in metallic debris in desiccant filter and A/C system​

Description

Firmware Details
Steps To Test
Steps To Fix

Effects
Causes

DESCRIPTION​

The Halla Visteon Climate Control (HVCC) A/C compressor has an internal mechanical condition, resulting in the presence of metallic debris in the desiccant filter and the A/C system. If this issue is present, there may be unexpected compressor noise, the A/C may not function as expected, or reversed lines on Model X may be present.

Metallic debris can result from the following internal compressor conditions:
  • Bearing condition
  • Scroll fin condition
  • Scroll plating flaking
The most common condition is flaking of the scroll plating caused by a supplier manufacturing situation.
  • Clean point: A/C compressors produced on April 8th, 2016.
Suspect Serial Numbers:
552eac50-04ae-46cb-b7af-4e1a783a45ab.jpg

932aea52-eb24-44c4-acbd-e9aae87c0b84.jpg

FIRMWARE DETAILS​

Upvote 0
I have a 2016.5 refresh P100D S
AC blows cold for about 40 minutes and then it will just blow lukewarm air for 10 or 15 minutes and then go back to blowing cold no codes not sure what the issue is scheduled an appointment but I’m wondering if they just remove the front bumper and clean some debris if this will fix the issue Also possible could have a leak or coolant could be low any ideas?
I do see lovers opening and closing

Upvote 0
You need more info on AC data from the can bus ..you need at least the discharge temp of the compressor and what the condenser fan % on is and I would say the suction pressure of the compressor with those data reading I guarantee we can see your compressor failures before they happen .. the compressor is super simple and very reliable .. but it needs refrigerant for cooling and lubrication if you have a lower shutter stuck closed the discharge temp will be high but won’t throw a code but eventually over time will damage from high compressor temp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One more thing if you leave the AC on fan 1 or 2 that compressor is going cycle on and off a bunch ..if your going use the AC leave it on at least 8 or 11 so when the compresor is running it says running and doesn’t cycle on and off thru it’s start up routine I would set it for the lowest setting every time

Upvote 0
You need more info on AC data from the can bus ..you need at least the discharge temp of the compressor and what the condenser fan % on is and I would say the suction pressure of the compressor with those data reading I guarantee we can see your compressor failures before they happen .. the compressor is super simple and very reliable .. but it needs refrigerant for cooling and lubrication if you have a lower shutter stuck closed the discharge temp will be high but won’t throw a code but eventually over time will damage from high compressor temp
Is this for my situation?
I just received notification this am from Tesla service that a remote analysis says front louvre replacement but I can see them opening closing. I still think it’s a small leak and low on coolant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have changed old A/C compressors myself on multiple cars with great success. Never had a premature failure after doing the work. What I will say is that working on an A/C requires surgical cleanliness and strict adherence to best practices and being very thorough.

Most Tesla SC's can't even do a 4 wheel alignment and get the steering wheel straight, so I wouldn't trust them to do anything right with an A/C compressor change.

I think they are the root cause of your problems. I personally would do the work myself, using new parts from the Tesla parts counter, and take it to them for any computer programming, if needed, after it's all done. For non DIYer's, maybe you can find a competent shop in your area to do the work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 2021 heat pump model 3 had a failed compressor earlier this year. It kept making rumbling noises and wouldn’t cool the car. Eventually the car would not supercharge because the battery would overheat. Took 3 trips to the service center (2 hours away) before they finally diagnosed it as a failed compressor and then replaced it. Very annoying and not particularly reassuring considering the car runs out of warranty in a year or so…

Upvote 0
Lol I have no idea who
@MobileClimate is replying to since 3-4 of us are having issues 🎱
See my post if you have anybideas
Thx in advance 👍

I have a 2016.5 refresh P100D S
AC blows cold for about 40 minutes and then it will just blow lukewarm air for 10 or 15 minutes and then go back to blowing cold no codes not sure what the issue is scheduled an appointment but I’m wondering if they just remove the front bumper and clean some debris if this will fix the issue Also possible could have a leak or coolant could be low any ideas?
I do see lovers opening and closing

Upvote 0
I have changed old A/C compressors myself on multiple cars with great success. Never had a premature failure after doing the work. What I will say is that working on an A/C requires surgical cleanliness and strict adherence to best practices and being very thorough.

Most Tesla SC's can't even do a 4 wheel alignment and get the steering wheel straight, so I wouldn't trust them to do anything right with an A/C compressor change.

I think they are the root cause of your problems. I personally would do the work myself, using new parts from the Tesla parts counter, and take it to them for any computer programming, if needed, after it's all done. For non DIYer's, maybe you can find a competent shop in your area to do the work.
I had tesla do a 4 wheel alignment for $500 about 2 months ago and ..3 weeks later I check for a rattle underneath and there sat the jam nut for the tie rod end loose..I was like great

Upvote 0