Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's your ride handling the winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still haven't hit snow in Boston.

But the studded Nokain Hakkas are ready (with one full size spare in the trunk just in case )!

While we are on it, my winter loadout:
  • 20,000 or 30,000 (forget which) tow strap
  • Hitches, D-clips, ext for hooking up to strap
  • Ractcheting straps
  • Shovel
  • 2 traction grips
  • Jug of salt ice melt
  • Extra gloves
  • 2 scrapers, 1 brush
  • Blanket
  • Backup jacket
  • Backup clothes
  • 3 day survival kit, with enough tools to survive indefinitely
  • Full size spare (as mentioned above)

I took the advice of others on the forum and when it snowed I set the acceleration on chill and the regen to low. My AWD with the stock 19's did great. Granted the roads were not as bad as we sometimes get, but no complaints so far. I have had the car outside on several cold mornings (in the teens) and have not had any door or window issues. I do preheat liberally since I like a warm car when I get in. First time with no regen took some getting used to, but I quickly adjusted to braking like it's not an electric car.

Unfortunately, I'm on 20s, waiting on tires/wheels from an early November order from @Tsportline, but in the meantime on ice it's super dangerous.

I also had to remind myself it's a heavy car. Less than a quarter mile from my house I almost plowed into the back of a minivan and I was only going 20 mph but couldn't stop. Although, it handled like a champ and allowed me to steer into the opposite lane (luckily no oncoming traffic.) I didn't end up stopping until half a car length ahead of the front of the minivan :eek:.

No matter how advanced the car is, we're still at the mercy of physics and the grip of your tires.

• Informative
Reactions: ronin
Few weeks ago with ice slush storm in NYC my stock P- Model 3 was great. 19 inch wheels. Summer tires. No problems at all with slabs of ice on Grand Central during rush hour. Took it slow of course....

I have winter set up of 18 Tesla wheels and Hakka 3s. The car does not do nearly as well as my previous BMWs and Audis with similar set up. The only thing different is the higher tire pressure which Tesla service people told me is important given the weight of the car. I ran my snow tires on earlier cars around 34psi, and the M3 is at 44. I am bit worried since I am in Salt Lake City and drive up the canyons several times a week in the snow.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
I'm not impressed yet by our M3 AWD's performance. With 19s and the original tires, I found the car sliding on a slightly icy curve at 20 mph, very disconcerting as my other cars haven't done that. After a long search for either Blizzak or Michelin snows in a suitable size, and a long wait for the special order, I installed slightly different sized Blizzaks. While it is now better, I still can spin the wheels easily, so I will next change acceleration to chill on snow - and standard when on dry pavement.

• Informative
I have now driven my AWD with the stock 19's in the snow several times. It has handled just fine for me. I have noticed that the traction control allows more wheel spin than other cars before it kicks in (enough to even slip sideways a little), but once it kicks in it is solid and corrects right away. It takes some getting used to the "looser" feeling of driving in the snow with it, but it has been just fine for me. If you get freaked out when you feel any slip, you will not like driving it in the snow, but once you get used to the feel of the way the system allows a little slip before kicking in you will be fine. A software update could potentially improve the responsiveness of the system and give people more confidence in slippery conditions.

• Informative
1st post!
I live in Saskatchewan. It is -33 this morning. I am currently debating model 3 ownership.
I have no inside room in my shop to park a car so it will be outside.
It is snowy and cold for 6 months so winter performance is a big concern. I am concerned about ground clearance (I do not live in a city) and battery performance. If I drive to my brother in laws farm for example in this cold will it have enough range to heat the car if it sits outside all night and still get back home ((130km)?

I live in Truckee CA - P3D but intentionally kept 18s. I took summers off and only run winter tires now. Car is rock solid in poor conditions and have driven over Donner Pass twice in the snow and sketchy conditions. Obviously an M3 in deep snow is a no go due to low clearance but winter tires, low regen and common winter sense it is solid in slick conditions

• Informative
Looks like that started at a previous chip in the glass.
That started at a chip. I had the exact same thing happen to me in a mini-van I rented in Toronto CA in the winter. I warned the rental guy it would crack when hit by defrost and he said oh it will be fine. I made him sign it off. Then north or TO absolutely happened - defrost on and 5 minutes later a crack starting at the chip.

Drove in the snow yesterday, AERO wheels with Blizzarks. RWD. The car handled fine, similar to my only other RWD car I used to have (Mercedes E350). You would want to put winter tires on it for sure. It's a heavy car, but gets plenty of grip.

Ricohman, you should be fine driving to the farm and back (and parking overnight) in low temps. 260 km should be doable even in super cold temps. Do you have access to even a standard outlet on the farm? It may not do much charging at that temperature, but it will help keep battery warm (it is my understanding that it will first use power to keep the battery temp up, then, if there is anything left, it goes to charging).

• Informative
1st post!
I live in Saskatchewan. It is -33 this morning. I am currently debating model 3 ownership.
I have no inside room in my shop to park a car so it will be outside.
It is snowy and cold for 6 months so winter performance is a big concern. I am concerned about ground clearance (I do not live in a city) and battery performance. If I drive to my brother in laws farm for example in this cold will it have enough range to heat the car if it sits outside all night and still get back home ((130km)?
I loose around 50 miles (80km) when I park the car outside for 12 hour in temps between -7 and 0 (20 - 30F). Local service center says it is normal. So, make sure to plug in at night.

Still haven't hit snow in Boston.

But the studded Nokain Hakkas are ready (with one full size spare in the trunk just in case )!

While we are on it, my winter loadout:
  • 20,000 or 30,000 (forget which) tow strap
  • Hitches, D-clips, ext for hooking up to strap
  • Ractcheting straps
  • Shovel
  • 2 traction grips
  • Jug of salt ice melt
  • Extra gloves
  • 2 scrapers, 1 brush
  • Blanket
  • Backup jacket
  • Backup clothes
  • 3 day survival kit, with enough tools to survive indefinitely
  • Full size spare (as mentioned above)

I think you’re ready for the apocalypse!

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7
Drove in the snow yesterday, AERO wheels with Blizzarks. RWD. The car handled fine, similar to my only other RWD car I used to have (Mercedes E350). You would want to put winter tires on it for sure. It's a heavy car, but gets plenty of grip.

Ricohman, you should be fine driving to the farm and back (and parking overnight) in low temps. 260 km should be doable even in super cold temps. Do you have access to even a standard outlet on the farm? It may not do much charging at that temperature, but it will help keep battery warm (it is my understanding that it will first use power to keep the battery temp up, then, if there is anything left, it goes to charging).

Depending on what is plugged in I may be able to. It would be a longish cord though. I do have two 240V outlets in my shop for welders so leaving home fully charged should not be a problem.
I need to speak with a local Tesla owner but they are thin around here.