Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC can I use it on a 50 amp breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the confusion. Initially electrician thought I didnt have the ability for the 100 amp but after realizing he could us the second sub panel he thought it was appropriate to install 100 amp breaker and set the dips to 80 to be ultra safe since I dont need the top end speed of the hpwc

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. Initially electrician thought I didnt have the ability for the 100 amp but after realizing he could us the second sub panel he thought it was appropriate to install 100 amp breaker and set the dips to 80 to be ultra safe since I dont need the top end speed of the hpwc

If you are putting in the wire and breaker for a 100A circuit, by all means, set the dip switches to 100A. If you wish to use lower charge rates normally, you can set that on the "Charging" control screen on the 17". The MS will remember that current setting for that location. If you ever wish to charge at 80A (80% of 100A), the MS will let you set the current up to that level with the 100A dip setting in the HPWC.

Leave yourself the option to charge occasionally at the full 80A rate that is possible from your 100A CB, if you ever need to. The NEC has plenty of margin built in; you don't have to add more.