Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
So in the evening last night I did see some lightning. Overnight my car stopped charging, interrupted. This morning, no light on my wall charger. Reset the breaker and it started charging. Now a couple hours later, i got the same message. Called home and the light is out on the charger. Any ideas?

What charger are you using 110v or 240v? If 240v you may have to adjust the amp down on the car. I used my dryer plug which is only rated for 24 amp but when I plugged in the car it initially was set for 40 amp.

Also a 110v plug on a 15 amp circuit died on me I had to switch it to an outlet on a 20 amp circuit.

So in the evening last night I did see some lightning. Overnight my car stopped charging, interrupted. This morning, no light on my wall charger. Reset the breaker and it started charging. Now a couple hours later, i got the same message. Called home and the light is out on the charger. Any ideas?
Is there no light on the HPWC or is there a red light? If no light, the issue is with your breaker tripping and there is no power to the WC. If there is a red light on the WC, there is a fault in the WC. In that case, use the rest button on the WC rather than the breaker. My WC started showing a red light at various times (although never while charging) and eventually totally failed. I now have a $550 piece of junk after just over 2 years of use and a one year warranty.

If the problem is at the breaker, it could be the breaker itself or could be caused by the car pulling too hard and demanding more amps than the breaker allows. If this is a new problem, check the charge setting in the car and make sure it is no more than 80% of the breaker rating. There have been occasions were the setting got inadvertently changed. It is also possible that the breaker needs to be replaced.

Is there no light on the HPWC or is there a red light? If no light, the issue is with your breaker tripping and there is no power to the WC. If there is a red light on the WC, there is a fault in the WC. In that case, use the rest button on the WC rather than the breaker. My WC started showing a red light at various times (although never while charging) and eventually totally failed. I now have a $550 piece of junk after just over 2 years of use and a one year warranty.

If the problem is at the breaker, it could be the breaker itself or could be caused by the car pulling too hard and demanding more amps than the breaker allows. If this is a new problem, check the charge setting in the car and make sure it is no more than 80% of the breaker rating. There have been occasions were the setting got inadvertently changed. It is also possible that the breaker needs to be replaced.

No light on the charger.

Its set to 40 amps. It charges for a bit then stops. Going to try lowering the amps

This happened to me as well with my HPWC at 100A, tried lowering to 60A, then 40A, didn't matter, it always tripped.

Root cause was a badbus bar on the panel, they changed the location of the circuit breaker to avoid the bad part of the busbar and haven't had issues since, even at 100A.
Went through many circuit breakers trying to figure out the issue on that one though.

• Informative
Reactions: AmateurX
If there is a power failure while you are charging there can be an up to 30 minute delay to resume charging when power returns. That is in the EV charging spec to avoid every car in town resuming charging at the same time which could destabilize the grid.

This happened to me as well with my HPWC at 100A, tried lowering to 60A, then 40A, didn't matter, it always tripped.

Root cause was a badbus bar on the panel, they changed the location of the circuit breaker to avoid the bad part of the busbar and haven't had issues since, even at 100A.
Went through many circuit breakers trying to figure out the issue on that one though.

How did you diagnose this? Have the eletrician come back out and look at it?

How did you diagnose this? Have the eletrician come back out and look at it?
There was a terrible smell and the circuit breakers were basically melting in the back. No arcing happened, but the circuit breaker would heat up and trip after about 15 minutes of charge. The electricians kept replacing the breaker and until they moved the circuit up one on the busbar it kept recurring. Now it doesn't happen any more, even when I charged at 80A.

Its set to 40 amps. It charges for a bit then stops. Going to try lowering the amps
What is the rating of the breaker? If set for 40 amps, the breaker must be rated for at least 50 amps and must not have anything else on the circuit. If it charges and then trips, you either are pulling too many amps or have a bad breaker. How old is the breaker box? If very old, you may need to replace the breaker.

What is the rating of the breaker? If set for 40 amps, the breaker must be rated for at least 50 amps and must not have anything else on the circuit. If it charges and then trips, you either are pulling too many amps or have a bad breaker. How old is the breaker box? If very old, you may need to replace the breaker.

I believe we have 80 amp breaker, its about 14 years old

Not really. There would be a light on HPWC in case of bad grounding. No light means no power (or a broken HPWC of course).
Yes, you are right, and I was explaining myself very bad.
The bad grounding I was referring to is related to the heating and tripping of the breaker, not to the HPWC.
But he says that everything else is OK in the house, so maybe my suggestion is just plainly wrong.

A bad ground will not cause the breaker to trip. In a properly wired system there is zero current flowing in the ground wire.

Breakers do go bad. When I bought my house a circuit in the kitchen would trip with a few amps flowing. The outlet showed burn marks so at some point the previous owner had caused a dead short on that circuit. Replacing the breaker solved the problem.

Trying to charge now set at 30 amps, but that didnt work. And now resetting the circuit for the hpwc doesnt power the wall charger. No more green light.
It looks like you have 2 choices. If you are comfortable, replace the breaker and see if that resolves the problem. If not, call an electrician to trouble shoot the problem. It sounds like the breaker has gone bad if it will not reset. Just be aware that there could be additional problems that are not immediately obvious, so be careful and take it step by step. Good luck!