Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC: Silver vs Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2018-11-30_16-16-3.png upload_2018-11-30_16-17-5.png

I am about to order one, however, does anybody know if there are internal differences between the two? I'm assuming there is more to them then just a color change, otherwise, i would think they could have just made different skins for color preference. I know the silver is the older version and is available it two lengths so just wondering what changes were made. .

To the best of my knowledge and my eyes, the only difference is the faceplate that snaps in.

I have the glossy black installed outdoors and it is a serious dust and fingerprint magnet. Your choice of silver would have less of that issue.

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of the dust issue. I can imagine that it shows the dust like the piano black center console now that you mention it. Yeah... that would drive me crazy,

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of the dust issue. I can imagine that it shows the dust like the piano black center console now that you mention it. Yeah... that would drive me crazy,

I went for silver 24 foot cable, and had my electrician install a separate NEMA 14-50 outlet as a back up to the wall charger.
20181201_115704.jpg

No dust magnet problem on silver faceplate.

Reactions: BobAbooey
I went for silver 24 foot cable, and had my electrician install a separate NEMA 14-50 outlet as a back up to the wall charger.View attachment 357068

No dust magnet problem on silver faceplate.

Nice! Looks like a clean installation! Exactly the one I'll order (24 foot Silver). I installed a 14-50 behind the bushes outside near where I park . I used a "in-use weather cover" for the outlet and it is actually under a roof overhang. I will swap it out for the HPWC and move the 14-50 inside my garage. The silver will definitely look cleaner especially being outside.

Thanks to all for your input! I was about to place the order online however I stopped by the Aventura location yesterday and asked if they had any to sell. Unfortunately they don't stock those but the employee told me to contact the delivery center up in Dania Beach. I called them at 9am and was told that they do have and that I could stop by today and get one. AWESOME! I was such in a rush, and excited, that I forgot to even ask if it was silver or black, or the 8 or 24 footer but when I got there after work they brought out one for me. They told me they only had the Silver 24 footer in stock and if I was ok with that :) I told them that is exactly the one I wanted. So, if anyone in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area is looking for one, I suggest giving Dania Beach a try.

Attachments

• Tesla HPWC.jpg
    Tesla HPWC.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 103
You could also buy those signature matte black wall connectors people got from referral... they seems to be cheaper than $500 price from Tesla shop. And no sales tax.

Correct! I had been contemplating that but I was worried how the warranty would work in that case since I wasn't the original recipient of the gift. I figured to play it safe and get one directly from Tesla.

Reactions: Need
Nice job!. It looks clean, at least in this pic. I am going to wall mount mine behind the bushes but within easy reach of the car.

Looks clean because I wiped it down before taking the picture. :)

I had to cut across a concrete driveway and trench it for wiring so I can mount the wall connector adjacent to the Model 3 chargeport on the far side of the driveway from the house. Lucky you have a wall to mount. I had no permanent structure on that side. So I mounted a post, concealed all the wiring coming up from underground in there, and finished it with a 6”x6” post sleeve and cap.

It was a fun project while we were waiting for the Model 3 to arrive. Enjoy the install. If you are a parent, it’s like putting together the baby crib before delivery. Exciting!

Reactions: Jaywlker