Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Vampire Drain During the day??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turn on Data Sharing on the road, but not when I’m parked at work or while inside my garage.

Also some Nav features require it on, so if you forget it will let you know.

Fred
I thought video data is only shared when you’re on WiFi, so just turning it on when you’re on the road probably doesn’t help. Most of us have never touched the data sharing control, it’s always on, and have no problem with vampire drain. You probably just had a glitch. Try again keeping it on after a reboot?

I turn on Data Sharing on the road, but not when I’m parked at work or while inside my garage.

Fred
I thought video data is only shared when you’re on WiFi, so just turning it on when you’re on the road probably doesn’t help. Most of us have never touched the data sharing control, it’s always on, and have no problem with vampire drain. You probably just had a glitch. Try again keeping it on after a reboot?
will give that a try and see how much it kills the battery

You should only see a parked daily battery usage of about 2 -3 miles per day (4 - 5 km). That's keeping the car just enough awake so it'll be responsive to your connection attempts, but that requires you allowing it to go into a deep sleep.

Start activating features and your parked usage will go up, but you need to understand this and do so willingly.

There's really no such thing as "vampire drain" and I wish people will stop using that terminology.

Note: Having overheat protection on is usually a good thing, unless you are planning to leave the car parked for a week or so.

That is correct. Turning off data sharing when you are at home will result in no data being shared, even if you turn it on when you’re driving.

[QUOTE="M3BlueGeorgia, post: 3727865, member: 92327]

Note: Having overheat protection on is usually a good thing, unless you are planning to leave the car parked for a week or so.[/QUOTE]
Cabin overheat protection only runs the A/C for a maximum of 12 hours, so it doesn’t matter how long you leave the car parked, you’re not going to get additional battery drain from it. Just leave it on, there’s no need to think about it.

Reactions: Big Earl
Apparently the "Hugh" battery drain is a result of the Cabin Overheat Protection with AC "enabled" see data below:

Battery Drain.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Hkbruin and Matt L
So I believe I have it figured out. The large drain (please no more Hugh Jackman quips) is due to two things

1. Cabin Overheat with AC was turned on;
2. AC does not work properly.

The Cabin Overheat was trying to keep the inside temperature reasonable. Turned off the AC for the Cabin Overheat and the drain went back to reasonable.

The AC was barely keeping up when the outside temperature 85 degrees while driving and seemed to be getting worse. now the AC doesn't work at all just blows hot air. Having the windows down in 90 degree heat is better than windows up with air on.

Turned on climate control from my office 15 minutes before leaving today and when I went outside the car was making a lot of noise (AC system was apparently on full blast) and the interior temp was still 135 degrees blowing hot air.

Service scheduled.......three weeks from now is the soonest available selecting from 5 different service centers within 100 miles of my location!!!

Tap Auto for the AC a couple times and also take your thermostat from hottest to coldest and anywhere in between. Try tapping the auto button on/off a couple more times and your AC should be cold again. This happened to me after the software update and once o got it to work after the initial hot air pumping it’s been fine.

I also have now verified that my drain was attributed to ‘Cabin Overheat - No AC’ was in fact on. For some reason i assumed the w/AC was the protection. Once I turned it off altogether the drain went away and my car is back to being silent after charging and while it sits in the garage.

With that being said, it was a hot day in SoCal and the cabin Overheat Protection is sure to help when needed and enabled!

So I believe I have it figured out. The large drain (please no more Hugh Jackman quips) is due to two things

1. Cabin Overheat with AC was turned on;
2. AC does not work properly.

The Cabin Overheat was trying to keep the inside temperature reasonable. Turned off the AC for the Cabin Overheat and the drain went back to reasonable.

The AC was barely keeping up when the outside temperature 85 degrees while driving and seemed to be getting worse. now the AC doesn't work at all just blows hot air. Having the windows down in 90 degree heat is better than windows up with air on.

Turned on climate control from my office 15 minutes before leaving today and when I went outside the car was making a lot of noise (AC system was apparently on full blast) and the interior temp was still 135 degrees blowing hot air.

Service scheduled.......three weeks from now is the soonest available selecting from 5 different service centers within 100 miles of my location!!!

Last edited:
Tap Auto for the AC a couple times and also take your thermostat from hottest to coldest and anywhere in between. Try tapping the auto button on/off a couple more times and your AC should be cold again. This happened to me after the software update and once o got it to work after the initial hot air pumping it’s been fine.

I also have now verified that my drain was attributed to ‘Cabin Overheat - No AC’ was in fact on. For some reason i assumed the w/AC was the protection. Once I turned it off altogether the drain went away and my car is back to being silent after charging and while it sits in the garage.

With that being said, it was a hot day in SoCal and the cabin Overheat Protection is sure to help when needed and enabled!

Tried everything you suggested including a reboot and nothing worked.

Just tested the Tesla with a Meat Thermometer and the best I could ever get was 76.2 degree air from the front or rear vents with the AC set to LO. Tried changing temp, auto on/off/ rear on/off never could get better. Tested my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and within minutes the air was blowing at 46.9 degrees, then tested my wife's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe limited and within minutes the air was 48.4 degrees.

Anyone ever tested the temperature output of the AC in a Model 3?

Thanks in advance.

For last measure, can you try holding the fan icon on the bottom dock for 3-5 seconds to toggle the fan on/off? Then try to heat the car as hot as you can, and then press auto, then adjust down to Lo with AC and then tap Auto, and then check flute temps while manually cooling?

Tried everything you suggested including a reboot and nothing worked.

Just tested the Tesla with a Meat Thermometer and the best I could ever get was 76.2 degree air from the front or rear vents with the AC set to LO. Tried changing temp, auto on/off/ rear on/off never could get better. Tested my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and within minutes the air was blowing at 46.9 degrees, then tested my wife's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe limited and within minutes the air was 48.4 degrees.

Anyone ever tested the temperature output of the AC in a Model 3?

Thanks in advance.

For last measure, can you try holding the fan icon on the bottom dock for 3-5 seconds to toggle the fan on/off? Then try to heat the car as hot as you can, and then press auto, then adjust down to Lo with AC and then tap Auto, and then check flute temps while manually cooling?

I tried every possible combination adjusting every control bot in AUTO and in Manual and nothing seems to make a difference. I believe I must have a FREON leak somewhere.

Hi,
On Vacation in South of France and not using the car. Vampire draining around 10-@13 miles a day...
Wifi is always off although the car always activatie this. Never use wifi unless for updates. Settings are set like everyone does.
What's in do not understand:

In the 5 weeks that i am in La Grande Motte i need to drive twice to Nimes, some 22 miles to Supercharge and back.
Still charge free. Many amonst us have the same problem and this must cost Elon Musk a lot of money. Wasted money. We have 3 Teslas and one Zoe EV(Renault) and even after a month only a few miles are gone from the Zoe.

Just wanted to join in here.

Francois