Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming Noise Model 3 Performance Michelin Pilot All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to replace my tires on my 2020 model 3 performance and decided to go with Michelin Pilot All Season 4s instead of the pilot sport 4S.. Ever since i replaced them i have this loud humming/vibration that starts around 60mph, gets rally bad and loud at 67-68, and then goes down a bit past those speeds. Tesla claims its because they are not acoustic tech tires but i really find this hard to believe. There is no noise from 1-55mph... And at 67-68 the noise really resonates causing a vibration feeling, it also seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. I had a bad impact with a pot hot around 65mph on the passenger side.. Tesla looked at the car several times along with the tire shop that put on the new tires. Tesla of course found nothing wrong other than that i didn't put acoustic tires on. The tire shop found i have a VERY SMALL bend in the rim, almost not noticable (it went unnoticed the first time they looked at it), and they put that tire in the back but it doesnt seem to stop the noise. Tesla also rotated all 4 tires to each position and nothing is fixing it. I feel like something is bent or out of place even though tesla claims to have replaced wheel bearings and other things they thought could be the problem (find it hard to believe they just started replacing parts on my car with only 18k miles..). Anyone have any experience with this. Its unbearable to drive im at the point where i don't even want to drive the car because it can become so loud. I have a video of the noise as well I will post in the comments..

I wish I could offer real help. All I'll say is you're right that the problem is definitely NOT the lack of acoustic foam in the tires. Most tires don't have a foam liner, and they still don't sound like that. As you clearly realize!

I've no experience with the PSAS4 but they're somewhat popular on these forums, I feel like if they usually sounded like that, it would have come up here already.

That said, it could be a defect in one or more of the tires. Or as you say, a lingering wheel issue. Here's a few ideas for isolating it to the wheels+tires:

1) Mount an action cam near each wheel, see if it's able to pick up the noise better closer to one of them. Note, a microphone outside the car usually just picks up major major wind noise in my experience! But it's worth a shot. Can also try different mounting points inside the car and see if the noise is clearly louder in one corner. (I wouldn't put much stock in front vs back differences, more side vs side.)

2) Can you arrange to swap wheels? Do you have another set? Could you borrow a set from someone? If you're desperate, ask Tesla if they could temporarily swap your wheels with a fleet car and see if the sound follows the wheels+tires or stays with your car?

I wish I could offer real help. All I'll say is you're right that the problem is definitely NOT the lack of acoustic foam in the tires. Most tires don't have a foam liner, and they still don't sound like that. As you clearly realize!

I've no experience with the PSAS4 but they're somewhat popular on these forums, I feel like if they usually sounded like that, it would have come up here already.

That said, it could be a defect in one or more of the tires. Or as you say, a lingering wheel issue. Here's a few ideas for isolating it to the wheels+tires:

1) Mount an action cam near each wheel, see if it's able to pick up the noise better closer to one of them. Note, a microphone outside the car usually just picks up major major wind noise in my experience! But it's worth a shot. Can also try different mounting points inside the car and see if the noise is clearly louder in one corner. (I wouldn't put much stock in front vs back differences, more side vs side.)

2) Can you arrange to swap wheels? Do you have another set? Could you borrow a set from someone? If you're desperate, ask Tesla if they could temporarily swap your wheels with a fleet car and see if the sound follows the wheels+tires or stays with your car?
I guess ill try to see if they will swap them with a fleet car. Not sure if they have any performance 3s in fleet though... they already rotated all 4 so if one tire was bad you'd think the noise would follow that tire. Noise always comes from the front passenger side where the impact was. Im scared im gonna lose a wheel mid drive...

Reactions: CO2 ZERO
I have the same problem on 2 separate sets of aftermarket rims even tried hub centric rings with self centering lugs. Les Schwab has balanced 4 separate times. Been to the SC had them go through the entire car prolly looking to switch back to Tesla rims wished I kept my inductions now

Here is the video of the noise, if you have some good subwoofers you can really hear it. It’s a low full vibrating hum
Hi, I came across this post by accident, which meant that I had to write that Michelim Pilot Sport 4s tires have this problem not only in the case of Tesla.
I live in Poland, I picked up a Ford Mustang in December - the car has Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires as standard (front 255/40/19 and rear 275/40/19.
I noticed the problem when I put serial tires on the rims in April, because I had been using winter YOKOHAMA since December, the tire was quieter and most importantly did not have those annoying rumbling sounds like MICHELIN.
In my case, the sound appears at a speed of 146 km / h or about 92 mph. at a speed of 100 km / h it is audible delicately (you have to listen)
Thanks to the fact that I had the opportunity to use other tires (YOKOHAMA), I can confirm that the problem did not exist.

Could it be that they are all season, which make more noise than a summer tire? OP why did you have to “replace my tires on my 2020 model 3 performance and decided to go with Michelin Pilot All Season 4s”?

All season tires are noisy compared to summer performance tires, in my experience. No way around that.

Hi, I came across this post by accident, which meant that I had to write that Michelim Pilot Sport 4s tires have this problem not only in the case of Tesla.
I live in Poland, I picked up a Ford Mustang in December - the car has Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires as standard (front 255/40/19 and rear 275/40/19.
I noticed the problem when I put serial tires on the rims in April, because I had been using winter YOKOHAMA since December, the tire was quieter and most importantly did not have those annoying rumbling sounds like MICHELIN.
In my case, the sound appears at a speed of 146 km / h or about 92 mph. at a speed of 100 km / h it is audible delicately (you have to listen)
Thanks to the fact that I had the opportunity to use other tires (YOKOHAMA), I can confirm that the problem did not exist.
The tires I currently have are the michelin pilot sport all season and the noise still exist. Are you saying the problem is with the pilot sport 4s? I am no longer using the pilot sport 4s and the issue was not there when i was using them..

Could it be that they are all season, which make more noise than a summer tire? OP why did you have to “replace my tires on my 2020 model 3 performance and decided to go with Michelin Pilot All Season 4s”?

All season tires are noisy compared to summer performance tires, in my experience. No way around that.
I really do not think its from the tire, I can hear the tire on the road its a completely different sound, this sound is like a low humming almost like a motorized vehicle exhaust noise driving next to me.

The tires I currently have are the michelin pilot sport all season and the noise still exist. Are you saying the problem is with the pilot sport 4s? I am no longer using the pilot sport 4s and the issue was not there when i was using them..
Pilot Sport All Seasons are definitely louder than Pilot Sports, whether A/S 3 to PS3 or A/S 4 to PS4

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2