Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC question. What does "AUTO" do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Knightshade You may be right. I'll try one last time...

BECAUSE YOU ARE LOOKING AT AN INSTANTANEOUS DIFFERENCE. RUN IT BOTH WAYS OVER TIME AND MEASURE YOUR KWH USAGE. Oh, and remove yourself from the equation (i.e. don't sit in the car) because you are introducing humidity that the car may be attempting to remove by cycling the A/C on and off.

ETA What temp do you have requested? 49F?

I don't care about over time.

I am asking a question about instantaneous.

I'm asking about a live situation.

Why can't you answer the question I'm asking about the instantaneous changing of the charge times?

Last edited:
I don't care about over time.

Or about how math or science work.

Or about why what you're checking, the way you're checking it, is pointless and tells you nothing useful.

Or about why everyone answering your question is presenting useful info about how to test thing actual thing you should be caring about if you really care about this at all and that you refuse to understand or accept.

There's a LOT you don't seem to care about!

Reactions: derotam
Charging your car is not instantaneous.

If you were to estimate your monthly electricity bull at the exact second that you're running the dryer, the A/C is on, the water heater is running, someone's watching Avengers: Endgame on the bigscreen TV and your dodecaphonic AroundSound system, etc., your expected power bill extrapolated out to the month will be astronomical.

Your rate of electrical consumption varies over time.

So too does the electrical draw of the A/C unit in your Tesla on Auto.

This is not a complex concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: derotam
Charging your car is not instantaneous.

If you were to estimate your monthly electricity bull at the exact second that you're running the dryer, the A/C is on, the water heater is running, someone's watching Avengers: Endgame on the bigscreen TV and your dodecaphonic AroundSound system, etc., your expected power bill extrapolated out to the month will be astronomical.

Your rate of electrical consumption varies over time.

So do does the electrical draw of the A/C unit in your Tesla on Auto.

This is not a complex concept.

Listen...I understand why you won't answer the question.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
To try to answer the question (not clear you want an answer), the reason the car shows longer to charge instantaneously in auto mode vs. whatever mode you are comparing to which shows a shorter time, is that the car at that particular instant (or over the short averaging period that Tesla uses), auto mode is using more power than whatever mode you are comparing to.

I'm pretty sure it's that simple. I'm sure it's also possible, if you set up the test conditions appropriately, to get a shorter result in auto mode vs. some other manual mode that you choose to compare to.

If you want an answer, you should post some pictures showing exactly what you're comparing (pictures of the climate control screen, etc....) along with details of the test conditions. But overall it's not that interesting... if the auto mode has higher consumption, it will show longer charging times. If auto mode has lower consumption than whatever you are comparing to, auto mode will show shorter charging times. There are many reasons why the two modes would have different power requirements over a particular interval of time (fan speed, specific ducting enabled, AC status, recirc status, rear seat climate status, etc.) .

To try to answer the question (not clear you want an answer), the reason the car shows longer to charge instantaneously in auto mode vs. whatever mode you are comparing to which shows a shorter time, is that the car at that particular instant (or over the short averaging period that Tesla uses), auto mode is using more power than whatever mode you are comparing to.

I'm pretty sure it's that simple. I'm sure it's also possible, if you set up the test conditions appropriately, to get a shorter result in auto mode vs. some other manual mode that you choose to compare to.

If you want an answer, you should post some pictures showing exactly what you're comparing (pictures of the climate control screen, etc....) along with details of the test conditions. But overall it's not that interesting... if the auto mode has higher consumption, it will show longer charging times. If auto mode has lower consumption than whatever you are comparing to, auto mode will show shorter charging times. There are many reasons why the two modes would have different power requirements over a particular interval of time.

if the auto mode has higher consumption, it will show longer charging times. If auto mode has lower consumption than whatever you are comparing to, auto mode will show shorter charging times.

Bingo...thanks. Finally.

It was indeed that simple.

Last edited:
My response was a "boilerplate" response which doesn't really address any specific situation or provide any insight. Sadly, after four pages, I don't really feel the warm fuzzies. I feel empty. I kind of understand the 10.7k post count though. ;)

you answered the question.

I asked the same question 3 pages ago and you finally stepped up to the plate and answered it.

That's all that was requested.

Thanks.

Last edited: