Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 3.0 Upgrade Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our Model S with FSD and are excitedly waiting for the HW 3.0 upgrade along with enhancements to FSD that will be delivered in the coming months!

From what I understand, they have begun the HW 3.0 upgrades and they are rolling them first on the West Coast before they are available on the East Coast. So for the benefit of everyone else excitedly waiting, if anyone has received the HW 3.0 upgrade, could you please share the following:

VIN Range, excluding last 3 digits: i.e. 200,xxx
Geographic Location: i.e. Philadelphia, PA
HW version BEFORE upgrade: i,e, HW 2.5
MCU version BEFORE upgrade: i.e. MCU 2.0
Upgrade Process: Received message from Tesla to schedule update or HW upgraded during unrelated service appointment or hardware upgraded after scheduling service request solely for the HW 3.0 upgrade.
Any other useful information: ???

Thanks for sharing the info!

I got my HW 3 upgraded in my 2018 Model S HW 2.5 MCU2 car yesterday at Springfield, NJ service center. I had bought the FSD option earlier this year and was stoked to hear they would upgrade the HW. I made an appointment a couple of weeks ago to get my winter tires mounted and asked about HW 3 upgrade. They said "sure!" and had the hardware ready when I dropped off my car.

Upgrade took less than a day. I picked it up this morning. It had to go through AP calibration which it did quickly. When calibration completed, visualizations appeared as usual. I just so happened to pass some traffic cones and they showed up! Very cool.

I attached an image of the new hardware in its bag prior to installation. It was labelled with my VIN and the date/time of the appt. I'm very happy with the service and feel Tesla completely lived up to their promises here.

Work was documented as follows:

Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1) Full self driving computer retro fit completed. Customer is advised drive calibration needed before all autopilot features are available.

Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-G) 1.0

Card_Top.png

Tesla upgraded my Oct 2018 build S100D (Dec delivery) with FSA computer retrofit, AP3, two days ago. So it is happening.
As a side note, because of buying the car end of 2018 I have to subscribe for premium connectivity starting Jan 2020. I am guessing- It seems like those that bought the car before June 2018 if they have AP2.5 and MCU 2 they may get AP 3 and also it is possible they get to keep their life time free premium connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Tesla upgraded my Oct 2018 build S100D (Dec delivery) with FSA computer retrofit, AP3, two days ago. So it is happening.
As a side note, because of buying the car end of 2018 I have to subscribe for premium connectivity starting Jan 2020. I am guessing- It seems like those that bought the car before June 2018 if they have AP2.5 and MCU 2 they may get AP 3 and also it is possible they get to keep their life time free premium connectivity.
^It shoud be FSD not FSA.

Reactions: Gt1948
I made an appointment a couple of weeks ago to get my winter tires mounted and asked about HW 3 upgrade. They said "sure!" and had the hardware ready when I dropped off my car.
Lol I did the exact same thing at Paramus two weeks ago and they told me I had to wait for Tesla to issue a bulletin for my VIN. Guess I'll be making another appointment haha.

With this HW3 upgrade, in addition to traffic cone visualization, the cameras do make a distinction between a tall truck, an SUV like Highlander, and 4x4 truck like a Ford truck with flat bed.

View attachment 486552 View attachment 486553
hmmmm, Ok, but my X with HW2 also makes that distinction between sizes of cars, so I'm guessing that is not due to you having HW3. I don't get the cones though (which I understand is probably an HW3 thing.)

• Helpful
Reactions: bhakan
hmmmm, Ok, but my X with HW2 also makes that distinction between sizes of cars, so I'm guessing that is not due to you having HW3. I don't get the cones though (which I understand is probably an HW3 thing.)
I have seen the distinction between the tall truck and some cars. But identifying the flatbed truck is new, I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Requested the upgrade from the app, got a text back telling me to sit down, shut up, and wait my turn, lol.

Hello ,

My name is [NAME] and I am reaching out to you from the Tesla Virtual service team. The retrofit for Model S's is available in small batches. You will be notified once this is available for your vehicle! This will require a visit to the service center as mobile service cannot perform that repair.

Thank you!

EDIT: Also 2018 MS w/AP2.5 & MCU2

Reactions: Gt1948
I got the upgrade appointment upon request a month ago. My car was made 3/2019 and the SA said it was on the upgrade list, came with AP2.5 according to the VIN. Shortly after I dropped off the car, I got the message from my SA that it had been upgraded at the factory the first week the HW3 boards were available, and there was nothing for them to do. I can only assume it was done as an early compatibility test.

I have a 2016 AP2.0. I must have been one of the earliest to buy FSD. I had a service appt last week for another issue and requested the upgrade on the service form. I got a reply back that upgrades are only being done when my VIN is identified by their system and they can't do anything until then.
It sounds like they aren't going in order of FSD purchase as newer HW2.5 are already getting upgrade. I am impatiently waiting...

VIN Range, excluding last 3 digits: 171,xxx
Geographic Location: e. Costa Mesa, CA
HW version BEFORE upgrade: HW 2.0
MCU version BEFORE upgrade: MCU 2.0? not sure
Upgrade Process: TBD

I have a 2016 AP2.0. I must have been one of the earliest to buy FSD. I had a service appt last week for another issue and requested the upgrade on the service form. I got a reply back that upgrades are only being done when my VIN is identified by their system and they can't do anything until then.
It sounds like they aren't going in order of FSD purchase as newer HW2.5 are already getting upgrade. I am impatiently waiting...

Currently no upgrade path for MCU 1 vehicles. So you and me both :)

I bought FSD on my 2017 in early 2018....waiting received the same info...

Requested HW3 upgrade along with some standard maintenance work. I'm scheduled for a SC visit on January 22nd. I did not receive any notice that I would not receive the upgrade but am not that hopeful. I paid for FSD over 3 years ago so I am getting impatient. I was told at the time that my car possessed all the necessary hardware for full self driving like Tesla was showing in their promotional video... This is what I expect.

NJ
HW 2.0
MCU 1.0
Oct 2016 build

Have MX 2018 build 04/2018 AP 2.5, MCU2. I was not contacted by Tesla about HW3 retrofit availability. However I asked if I was on the "list" to receive HW3 retrofit. Was told, yes so I set up Service Center visit. Preliminary paperwork for that visit indicates HW3 will be installed. That paperwork shows current part number of HW3 computer is: ECU 3.0 MSX (1655000-70-H).

Requested HW3 upgrade along with some standard maintenance work. I'm scheduled for a SC visit on January 22nd. I did not receive any notice that I would not receive the upgrade but am not that hopeful. I paid for FSD over 3 years ago so I am getting impatient. I was told at the time that my car possessed all the necessary hardware for full self driving like Tesla was showing in their promotional video... This is what I expect.

NJ
HW 2.0
MCU 1.0
Oct 2016 build

MCU1 cars are not compatible yet

Your car has MCU 1, not 2.0

Reactions: 2BEnhanced