Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW/City - huge consumption difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen many posts/reports where everyone is praising city consumption as being so good in comparison to the highway one. Don’t know if I should look into other possible issues, but as soon as I get in the city (summer or winter), the mountain in the consumption graph appears. The local cities are not particular busy or hilly.
If on the highway I can be at 180 Wh/km, city goes even above 250 Wh/km… and that with AC on manual, level 2, 19” square cinturato on a 85D.
Any ideas on what I should check?

Using friction brakes?

Low on refrigerant? You didn't mention what year your car is, but the newer cars with heat pumps will run a compressor to heat and cool the car. Low refrigerant will cause the compressor to run more often and suck up more power. This constant draw of power is amortized across greater distance on the highway since you're moving faster and the impact won't be as high. In the city it will suck up a bigger proportion of the energy required per mile.

Upvote 0
I would think that stop-n-go traffic, plus various speed limit changes throughout the city limits, plus traffic in general will cause any driver to always modulate speed/power to adapt to all the said above scenarios so it would be expected to use more power. On the highway, it's pretty much steady speed all the way with less variables.

Upvote 0