Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 computer warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should be the remainder of your factory warranty or 12 months.
How do you figure?

Per https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty:
Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
This doesn't mention AP hardware (like FSD upgrade being discussed here). But the document that this section links to (parts body & paint repair) says:
Any Parts or Used Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the applicable original warranty period of the repaired or replaced Part or Used Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days, whichever is longer.
So if FSD upgrade was considered a repair (but not a warranty repair), then the parts would be covered for the remainder of factory warranty or 90 days. OTOH, the New Vehicle warranty (linked higher up on the source page) says:
Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends, or as otherwise provided by applicable law."
So it would be even less favorable if the FSD upgrade was treated as a regular warranty repair. However, upgrades may not be treated as repairs at all, so neither of these documents necessarily apply to the FSD HW or even the MCU upgrade. That having been said, do you have a linkable Tesla source for your "or 12 months" statement?

How do you figure?

Per https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty:This doesn't mention AP hardware (like FSD upgrade being discussed here). But the document that this section links to (parts body & paint repair) says:So if FSD upgrade was considered a repair (but not a warranty repair), then the parts would be covered for the remainder of factory warranty or 90 days. OTOH, the New Vehicle warranty (linked higher up on the source page) says:So it would be even less favorable if the FSD upgrade was treated as a regular warranty repair. However, upgrades may not be treated as repairs at all, so neither of these documents necessarily apply to the FSD HW or even the MCU upgrade. That having been said, do you have a linkable Tesla source for your "or 12 months" statement?
My service invoice says all Tesla branded parts installed by Tesla are covered under the limited warranty for 12 months.

upload_2020-9-9_9-57-16.png

My MCU purchase and FSD upgrade were labeled as Customer Pay and Customer Pre-pay so that's the coverage that seems to most reasonably apply.

It was also my assumption that if more than 12 months remained on the vehicle's limited warranty, that any upgrade parts would be covered under that, since it would be hard for them to justify not honoring the warranty on the original MCU or FSD HW they replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: mxnym
My service invoice says all Tesla branded parts installed by Tesla are covered under the limited warranty for 12 months.

View attachment 586218

My MCU purchase and FSD upgrade were labeled as Customer Pay and Customer Pre-pay so that's the coverage that seems to most reasonably apply.

It was also my assumption that if more than 12 months remained on the vehicle's limited warranty, that any upgrade parts would be covered under that, since it would be hard for them to justify not honoring the warranty on the original MCU or FSD HW they replaced.
Similar story, Rear Camera stopped working, the techs say the computer needs to be replaced due to an "internal fault". $1680.00 to do the work! The HW3 computer in there is less than a year old (upgraded in Aug 2020) however they denied the warranty because they claim the feature was purchased not the hardware! Atrocious service!