Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 in EU model3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, if only he'd been telling us the exact same thing over and over again, clearly, since at least last fall.... sure is a shame nobody noticed he'd been doing exactly that and pointing it out huh?

Even funnier is his remark elsewhere that initially at least having the HW3 computer is actually worse because current code is optimized for the 2.x computer....

Elon Musk on twitter said:
Retrofits will start when our software is able to take meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer, which is an order of magnitude more capable. For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2.

Mind you- I wouldn't expect that period where that's true to be terribly long... but while it is it means folks who chose to listen to Elon and not "wait" for HW3 are actually better off than those who didn't.

Reactions: destructure00
Musk stated it, but Tesla hasn't put it on their website or in a document have they?

Initially I thought HW3 was supposed to launch around end of Q1 2019 or mid Q2. If it was really in the next 3 months why didn't Musk allude to it being so close?

Another confusing issue. Musk stated on the Q4 conferance call that he was testing HW3 on his personal car and that it handled city roads well and could identify like 98% of stop lights. Currently, Youtube videos are suggesting that HW2.5 is only picking up about 10% of lights during the day and about 50% at night. Does it sound like HW2.5 with current 2019 8.3 is really performing anywhere close to as good as HW3 with the software build Elon is testing?

Sounds like HW3 with new software is magnitudes better than what people are seeing with HW2.5, so what is the holdup with the rollout?

the code is x64 now right ? And it will use arm instructions for next version ? That alone would mean very long time to adapt the visual algorithms.

My car is at my dealer today and i pick it up on the 19th. I believe i have 0 chance for it being HW3 but i did received a text from tesla saying they are offering me full self driving ( also i kinda believe they are not going to update my car)

Some interesting developments. This is less ambiguous than the other more recent Elon Musk statements about HW3–very likely will turn out that Knightshade was correct all along.

Here in CA it’s tempting to pull trigger on a discounted inventory FSD car but now that the release of HW3 seems imminent (and with the upgrade timeline still being very uncertain) I am going to continue to be patient and wait just a few more weeks. I do expect prices to come back down to within at least $500-1000 of the pre-price-rise prices (since Tesla won’t have to in essence pay for two HW boards for each FSD vehicle as they do now).

I’m also reminding myself that Tesla improves the car with each and every passing week and who knows what I’d miss out on if I got a car built a month or two ago.

I’m also reminding myself that Tesla improves the car with each and every passing week and who knows what I’d miss out on if I got a car built a month or two ago.

What you are missing out on, is driving a tesla ;)

Like most technology things, there is always something better, later. I would rather get a car right now, and get the new hardware next year sometime when they do the retrofits and let everyone else "beta test" it for the next year... but if you would rather beta test it for me by waiting to get a car with it now, so that I get the better version in my retrofit next year sometime, thanks, I appreciate it :D

I’ve never been sorry when I’ve waited a minute for the next iteration of a tech product. I’ve only ever had the experience of kicking myself afterwards when pulling the trigger too early.

It’s unlikely they fiddle with the HW3 board over the next few months (changing a microprocessor’s miniaturized innards midstream is more complicated than manufacturing changes to a car’s body) or provide any new wiring/sensors to those who retrofit HW3. More likely is that they continue to make incremental and potentially non-publicized changes to the production vehicles themselves, potentially including the sensors, as we saw with change from HW2 to 2.5. I don’t believe Elon Musk has said that he will never make any changes to the model 3’s sensor suite, just that HW3 swap doesn’t *require* said changes.

There probably is no wrong answer, actually, on ether waiting or buying now. Depends on personal preference like so much else.

I’ve never been sorry when I’ve waited a minute for the next iteration of a tech product. I’ve only ever had the experience of kicking myself afterwards when pulling the trigger too early.

It’s unlikely they fiddle with the HW3 board over the next few months (changing a microprocessor’s miniaturized innards midstream is more complicated than manufacturing changes to a car’s body) or provide any new wiring/sensors to those who retrofit HW3. More likely is that they continue to make incremental and potentially non-publicized changes to the production vehicles themselves, potentially including the sensors, as we saw with change from HW2 to 2.5. I don’t believe Elon Musk has said that he will never make any changes to the model 3’s sensor suite, just that HW3 swap doesn’t *require* said changes.

There probably is no wrong answer, actually, on ether waiting or buying now. Depends on personal preference like so much else.

I deferred my Model 3 Performance order that I made earlier this month until May or June to make sure I had HW3... until Elon's tweets last night: Elon Musk on Twitter He clarified in no uncertain terms that the only difference between HW2.5 and HW3 is the computer, no changes in sensors, wiring, etc.

So I now have all of the clarity and assurance I need that I shouldn't wait any longer. I called Tesla and I am picking up a Model 3 Performance this evening!!! Plus, who knows, they may improve the HW3 processor before I get my retrofit (unlikely, but possible.)
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 1.15.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 1.15.18 PM.png

So when do people think the HW3 is coming? Elon said, "when our software is able to take a meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer". While adding that currently (it's slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer as software ruined for HW2). Seems like it could be a long path.

So when do people think the HW3 is coming? Elon said, "when our software is able to take a meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer". While adding that currently (it's slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer as software ruined for HW2). Seems like it could be a long path.
HW3 is already happening for some cars. They have been delivering some Model X with HW3 for over a week.

HW3 upgrades probably won't be happening any time soon.