Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we plan to keep our 2017 S 100D with MCU1 for another $60K miles, we'd be willing to pay something for an MCU2 upgrade, to bring it up to the same level as our 2018 X 100D...
I would be willing too with my 2016 MSP100D, I asked about an MCU replacement when I was getting the yellowing around the edges of the screen, I seem to recall they wanted $2500 to upgrade my mcu vs just replacing the screen.

I would be willing too with my 2016 MSP100D, I asked about an MCU replacement when I was getting the yellowing around the edges of the screen, I seem to recall they wanted $2500 to upgrade my mcu vs just replacing the screen.

When was this? I asked the same question when I was getting the yellow border fixed a while ago (before the UV fix was available, they just replaced at the time), and they said there’s no way to retrofit an MCU2 into my car.

Took my car in for 2 year service today. No HW3 upgrade available for me. Service advisor said the service center has only done 4 or 5 so far. Says they are going slow to make sure that things go well before a mass rollout. Again was told it would be by vin. My vin is 12xx ... anyone’s higher with the upgrade? Don’t forget to change your vote on the page 1 poll above if you do get the upgrade!

When was this? I asked the same question when I was getting the yellow border fixed a while ago (before the UV fix was available, they just replaced at the time), and they said there’s no way to retrofit an MCU2 into my car.
It was about a year or so ago when the yellowing was happening, I decided to wait and certainly didn’t want to pay $2500 at the time. I seem to remember seeing a post that someone actually had their mcu upgraded tho I could be mistaken

Took my car in for 2 year service today. No HW3 upgrade available for me. Service advisor said the service center has only done 4 or 5 so far. Says they are going slow to make sure that things go well before a mass rollout. Again was told it would be by vin. My vin is 12xx ... anyone’s higher with the upgrade? Don’t forget to change your vote on the page 1 poll above if you do get the upgrade!
What is actually done on the 2 year service?

What is is/was the UV fix?
I just had mine in for the fix a month ago. They have a tool that subjects the screen to intense UV. It made the yellowing significantly less noticeable. Careful inspection shows there is still some faint yellowing there. At the time Tesla service indicated there was an “improved” tool in the works, I opted not to wait for it.

Doing it by VIN probably doesn't mean that they are doing it in order from oldest to newest (or vice versa).

I suspect they are trying to pick a representative sample. Could also be people that they have identified as being easy to deal with.

I have an early 2017 ms75 with enhanced autopilot 2.0 with mcu1. When the FSD option for 2k became available I jumped on it.

I took my car in today for some cosmetic warranty work and decided to add to my service request the FSD upgrade. Good and bad news.

Bad news - they had no parts for this upgrade for ap2 mcu1 so the rest est was canceled- Not surprised.

However the service advisor at coral gables said that the plan was to not only replace the ap2.0 computer with FSD 3 but new cameras would be installed and the mcu1 computer would be upgraded to mcu2. The screen would stay the same but the computer in the back would be swapped. He said the missing features such as teslas theater and games would then Become available. I’m not sure all of that’s true as the drivers center screen is integrated with mcu2 but not mcu1 and I would think it too would need to be replaced.

He didn’t mention that but maybe they have worked around it. That would be great.

He said CA cars will go first and they don’t have all the details but it looks like January they will start retrofitting ap2.0 mcu1 cars on the east coast.

So we should be looking for someone on the west coast who has an AP 2.0 upgrade in the next several weeks.

I have an early 2017 ms75 with enhanced autopilot 2.0 with mcu1. When the FSD option for 2k became available I jumped on it.

I took my car in today for some cosmetic warranty work and decided to add to my service request the FSD upgrade. Good and bad news.

Bad news - they had no parts for this upgrade for ap2 mcu1 so the rest est was canceled- Not surprised.

However the service advisor at coral gables said that the plan was to not only replace the ap2.0 computer with FSD 3 but new cameras would be installed and the mcu1 computer would be upgraded to mcu2. The screen would stay the same but the computer in the back would be swapped. He said the missing features such as teslas theater and games would then Become available. I’m not sure all of that’s true as the drivers center screen is integrated with mcu2 but not mcu1 and I would think it too would need to be replaced.

He didn’t mention that but maybe they have worked around it. That would be great.

He said CA cars will go first and they don’t have all the details but it looks like January they will start retrofitting ap2.0 mcu1 cars on the east coast.

So we should be looking for someone on the west coast who has an AP 2.0 upgrade in the next several weeks.

If the MCU upgrade is included, that is a pretty good deal for the original $3k FSD cost. Even more so for those that caught the firesale.

I wonder if Tesla will discontinue allowing folks to buy the FSD upgrade on the MCU 1 cars.

If the MCU upgrade is included, that is a pretty good deal for the original $3k FSD cost. Even more so for those that caught the firesale.

I wonder if Tesla will discontinue allowing folks to buy the FSD upgrade on the MCU 1 cars.

I wish this was true, but I highly doubt they are going to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 even if you bought FSD. They can't afford it. They will likely find a solution to get MCU1 to work but it will take time, or ask us to pay for the MCU upgrade.