Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're just getting to people with VINs under 2xxx now? That's disenheartening for those of us with VINs around 100xxx or higher, which means I'll likely see my upgrade around the time the Cybertruck is released. Does anyone have any metrics as to the split between those who purchased FSD and those who did not?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
They're just getting to people with VINs under 2xxx now? That's disenheartening for those of us with VINs around 100xxx or higher, which means I'll likely see my upgrade around the time the Cybertruck is released. Does anyone have any metrics as to the split between those who purchased FSD and those who did not?
I don't think they are upgrading those who haven't purchased FSD since they wouldn't have any need for the new hardware.

Reactions: PoitNarf

They are upgrading mcu2 S and X first. Then model 3. Then older S and X if they can get HW3 to work with MCU1. Otherwise expect a shitstorm of FSD refunds and an apology.

That's concerning - any current updates ? I'm in the 80XXX vin range and I hope my install works out better than the 16 rear spoiler attempts on my Model 3....
I saw 2 app push notifications after I posted that that said the firmware update completed successfully so I’m hopeful we can pick it up today. But I haven’t heard that from Tesla. Fingers crossed!

I assume the upgrade rate will pick up once they get all the kinks worked out for the 3. It sounds like it is still in a trial phase right now.

I am just glad I will be getting hardware 3 before my factory warranty runs out. Some of the 2016 owners may already be out of warranty by the time Tesla gets to them, unfortunately.

They are upgrading mcu2 S and X first. Then model 3. Then older S and X if they can get HW3 to work with MCU1. Otherwise expect a shitstorm of FSD refunds and an apology.
Understood - I'm just trying to quantify the speed of work here. Are there 50k cars to upgrade across the lineup - more? Less? Are they doing 10 a week? 100 a week?

Mobile service just came to my house to swap out bad front USB ports and swap my loaner wheel back with my stock tire. They could have easily swapped the FSD computer if service centers were stocking them. If there are still software upgrade kinks to be worked out, then that's a different story...

I am just glad I will be getting hardware 3 before my factory warranty runs out. Some of the 2016 owners may already be out of warranty by the time Tesla gets to them, unfortunately.

I was just thinking about that this morning. I asked my SA about that and he said it was covered by the original warranty (50,000 miles / 4 years). I think they should include FSD retrofit in a separate warranty.

But I did get confirmation that my car is ready for pickup so hopefully I'll find out a few more details on what was the challenge.

I was just thinking about that this morning. I asked my SA about that and he said it was covered by the original warranty (50,000 miles / 4 years). I think they should include FSD retrofit in a separate warranty.
On my old Honda, I had a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. There was an issue with the emissions systems of some cars so they provided two tune-ups after the warranty and extended the warranty on the emissions system for something like 15 years or 150,000 miles. I took my car in and got the tune-ups at 75,000 miles and right before 150,000 miles and didn't have to pay anything.

Surely Tesla would offer a similar warranty on the FSD hardware that extends past the original vehicle warranty.

Just got the Model 3 back from service. They couldn't provide any more details on what specifically went wrong, but I did notice that they had to downgrade the firmware from where it was previously.

36.2.4 -> 32.12.6

So with that older firmware, I didn't have cone visualization. I did have 40.2.1 available to be installed, but didn't have time to install that. I couldn't really tell any difference in AP performance.

Also, it seems that the car was "partially" reset. User profiles were reset, HomeLink reset, music was still there (didn't check music levels), and I'm guessing most other settings went back to defaults.

Parts:
NUT,HF,M8x1.25,[10] G1409,LOCK(2007104-00-B) 4.0

ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,M3(1518762-00-A) 1.0

TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 - PROV-Retrofit(1462554-R0-H) 1.0

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Las Vegas NV. Early VIN.

xuzOmWo.jpg

There was a point starting retrofits before then. Now that there is a delta, thousands of 2.X FSD customers are waiting for the upgrade.
I'm exited and disappointed at the same time!!! :)
Certainly, various reports of them starting and getting the procedure down at each Service Center. KEY POINT ... "in earnest" since now there is a 'delta' (difference) in 2.x and 3.