Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4, Phoenix and Glass Roof update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, new here, but have been benefiting from all the discussion, so I thought I would give you all an update. Ordered Model S second week of March. VIN confirmed and car shipped. Pickup is this Friday. I texted my advisor to inquire on HW4, radar and roof. She said she couldn't see and would not be able to tell me, but "it had the latest hardware". I already knew what that meant...precisely nothing. So I started a chat with a regular Tesla rep online who was rude and basically hung up on me, saying, "talk to your advisor". I finally texted my advisor back and said that unless I can confirm the new hardware was in my car, I was not going to schedule a pickup and I would reorder next month. I'm in no hurry. So this is the part that some of you will find interesting:

My advisor called me and said, "HW4 is actually known as "autopilot 4.0". Your car has all of it including the Phoenix radar. But we are not allowed to tell you that, which is why no one is texting you the information. I don't want you to cancel your order, so I'm calling to tell you verbally. Until Tesla officially releases the new hardware in their marketing, we are not allowed to talk about hardware. If I call, then I won't get in trouble.".

Good enough for me and I appreciated my advisor's candor. I thought many of you tracking this would find it interesting.

Be prepared for months of delays of certain features that will require complete reprogramming of code . The old radar code would not work with the new radar anyway. I don't know if the new cameras can be immediately used, or if some autopilot and self parking features will be disabled. I think the new cameras have a different field of view and wider field. It will be interesting to learn of your experiences. BTW, it is very unusual to have Tesla worried you might not accept the car. Just a few months ago the customer would be threatened that if they didn't immediately get the car, it would go to the next buyer and you would start over in the queue. The lack of demand is completely new.

Reactions: aerodyne
No lack of demand for MY or M3, but MS and MX is a different story. They are not moving those. Fed tax incentives ending this month. Plus, I think she just wanted to be nice, which I appreciated after hearing about all the apathetic Tesla employees people have come across lately. I am also getting 10k free supercharger miles by picking up my car by the 31st. Nice little bonus.

Hi everyone, new here, but have been benefiting from all the discussion, so I thought I would give you all an update. Ordered Model S second week of March. VIN confirmed and car shipped. Pickup is this Friday. I texted my advisor to inquire on HW4, radar and roof. She said she couldn't see and would not be able to tell me, but "it had the latest hardware". I already knew what that meant...precisely nothing. So I started a chat with a regular Tesla rep online who was rude and basically hung up on me, saying, "talk to your advisor". I finally texted my advisor back and said that unless I can confirm the new hardware was in my car, I was not going to schedule a pickup and I would reorder next month. I'm in no hurry. So this is the part that some of you will find interesting:

My advisor called me and said, "HW4 is actually known as "autopilot 4.0". Your car has all of it including the Phoenix radar. But we are not allowed to tell you that, which is why no one is texting you the information. I don't want you to cancel your order, so I'm calling to tell you verbally. Until Tesla officially releases the new hardware in their marketing, we are not allowed to talk about hardware. If I call, then I won't get in trouble.".

Good enough for me and I appreciated my advisor's candor. I thought many of you tracking this would find it interesting.Let
Let us know after you picked up your car and confirm that it indeed has the new hardwares

My 3/10 build (picked up 3/14) came with the much lighter (10% VLT) roof glass and HW4 with Phoenix. So assume all cars built afterwards have this too, in fact later Feb build US cars with the near rear appliqué definitely did too, but there may have been some outliers that did not.

If nervous, one glance at the bigger red/magenta camera lenses and roof will confirm as they're impossible to miss. First Tesla was an MYP which we loved, this one is even better. They're not perfect cars, but they're way ahead of the EV competition overall...for now.

Good enough for me and I appreciated my advisor's candor. I thought many of you tracking this would find it interesting.
Don’t own a Tesla yet nor will I get model S any time soon. I wonder what else Tesla is not telling us publicly. Maybe my soon to be Y end of May will come with the latest HW4? 😉

So I picked up my S today. I cannot tell from the info screen what hardware I have, but I do see the little red lenses in the cameras, so I think that may be it? Also can't tell anything by looking at the glass roof, but boy is it pretty! What a nice car. Did a launch getting on the highway and it made me dizzy. Took about 30 seconds for the smile to go away.

Attachments

• 2023-03-31 10.40.06.jpg
    2023-03-31 10.40.06.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 510
  • 2023-03-31 10.49.36.jpg
    2023-03-31 10.49.36.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 2023-03-31 10.49.22.jpg
    2023-03-31 10.49.22.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 353

wish they would have called and told me that. I refused to pay $90k for a car when I didn't even know what I was getting. I texted 4 times asking what hardware was included until they finally just said they would put my order on hold.

If they told me maybe I would have been able to schedule in time for the free 10k miles.