Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyperloop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as an underground tube of any sort is concerned -
I thought Mr Musk has said some words about it being "crash-proof". I also thought you Californians have some interesting seismic occurrences. In my opinion, those aren't two cuddly companions.

Also, how do the ideas proposed in the prior dozen or so threads conform to his comments about the system being "effectively" energy-positive (not, obviously in a 2ndLawThermo sense)? I don't see that.

Other than that objection, I like Hasse's depiction. Run it directly above some extant highway corridor?

Also, how do the ideas proposed in the prior dozen or so threads conform to his comments about the system being "effectively" energy-positive (not, obviously in a 2ndLawThermo sense)? I don't see that.

Effectively means that the solar panels feeding the system will create more energy than the system uses. This is no different than the supercharger plan today.

No way it can be underground because it's supposed to be 1/10 the cost of high speed rail. Anything underground is very expensive.

Underground tube != tunnel
There is no need for very expensive boring, one just needs to dig a ~20 feet deep and 30 feet wide trench, build a tube and cover it with earth. Still not cheap but orders of magnitude cheaper than tunnel boring.

Very true that trenching is orders of magnitude less expensive than boring....but consider the land build-up along that corridor. What could be less expensive than utilizing the extant air space above freeways?

Very true that trenching is orders of magnitude less expensive than boring....but consider the land build-up along that corridor. What could be less expensive than utilizing the extant air space above freeways?

That is a reasonable idea but you have to keep in mind that the tubes must me MUCH straighter than a freeway at hundreds of MPH.

My guess right now is for a hyperloop concept is a magnetically accelerated vehicle that has ground effects and inductive energy transfer for onboard fan motors that operates within a deep trench.

Ground effect vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically a big bobsled with wings. Instead of requiring enough thrust on board to accelerate, the departure from the station is like being shot from a railgun. Kind of like the Ferrari Rossa roller coaster:

Formula Rossa | World's Fastest roller coaster| Ferrari World Abu Dhabi

That way the vehicle doesn't have to carry big enough engines to bring the vehicle to speed. Then, it has enclosed fan thrusters that are electric and it uses inductive transfer to zap charge some ultra capacitors. This helps maintain the ground effect "flight" as the vehicle decelerates from the initial boost. The wings change shape, changing from a little bit of downforce to increasing lift as the vehicle slows. The trench is deep and broad enough so that the vehicle is extremely unlikely to come out of it, like a bobsled. The final configuration of the track may even look like an infinity symbol (hence loop). Since the vehicle "flies" the track doesn't have to be extremely expensive unlike a monorail or a maglev. It doesn't even need to be reinforced concrete, it could be more like salt flats. If it had to, it could actually fly the length of the loop using just the fan motors, but it would be much slower and not nearly as fun.

All of the energy consumed is electric and therefore it can be powered by photovoltaic panels and recycled Tesla car battery packs.

Some reasons I get to this conclusion:

To hit speeds over 300mph with reasonable cost and efficiency, ideally the bulk of the energy to get to speed is not on board. Therefore railgun acceleration.
To hit speeds over 300mph without building ultra expensive track, it is better to be in a roughly prepared trench that is big, deep, and wide enough (think bobsled roller coasters). Ground effect is terrific for increasing efficiency and the fact that you are riding on air is going to be far more efficient that dealing with the friction of wheels at that speed. Maglev would be even better, but the cost of laying down that much maglev track would be cost prohibitive (think of just the metal costs). Zapping in electricity through inductive charging to ultra capacitors means that the vehicle weight can be kept down - it doesn't have to carry as much energy.

Beeing a ground-effect afficionado, I agree on its usefulness. However, the speeds needed to fulfill Elon Musks travel times, suggest that you would be moving very close to the speed of sound. This would be dangerous and possible create unpredictable behaviour in the vehicle (Transonic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . UNLESS IT TRAVELS IN AIR THAT MOVES IN THE SAME DIRECTION YOU ARE GOING. This also reduces parasitic drag in the vehicle which is the main energy-thief.

What could be less expensive than utilizing the extant air space above freeways?

One word: safety.
It is *much* easier to warrant safety of a covered trench (even if only covered with a few feet of earth) than of an elevated tube that is practically freely accessible from all directions.
What stops some kids to set fire under such a tube? It is enough to overheat the construction and all hell could brake loose when a multi k-mph bullet train shoots through it.

Beeing a ground-effect afficionado, I agree on its usefulness. However, the speeds needed to fulfill Elon Musks travel times, suggest that you would be moving very close to the speed of sound. This would be dangerous and possible create unpredictable behaviour in the vehicle (Transonic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . UNLESS IT TRAVELS IN AIR THAT MOVES IN THE SAME DIRECTION YOU ARE GOING. This also reduces parasitic drag in the vehicle which is the main energy-thief.

Yeah, I believe he's said it isn't a vacuum tunnel, but I don't believe he's ruled out a pneumatic tube. A capsule is launched into the airstream and it's continuing momentum is purely provided by the air pressure. It couldn't collide with a capsule in front because a stuck capsule would automatically cause a pressure differential and slow the capsule. It's hard to see how it could be any cheaper than building high speed rail, though.

It should be a separate entity to make a name on itself.
In a decade or two all will/would be joined under Elon Enterprises umbrella, the man who connected the world and planets.

starkindustries.jpg

In the most recent Reuters interview Elon mentioned that he'll be discussing Hyperloop details in mid-July (grain of salt required). He also states that both TM and SpaceX will be taking a week off for July 4th and that will be his first vacation in 5 years.