Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai announces IONIQ price in the US: $29,500 before incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sat in an Ioniq Hybrid a week or so ago when I picked my car back up from the shop. Just wanted to see how much room the car had in case I wanted to ponder an Ioniq Electric. Amazing amount of room in the front seat. I'm 6'4" and I had at least 4" of headroom. Back seat was another story. Head was bumping the roof. Anyone over maybe 5'10" would have the same problem.

Kind of a shady dealership. Only 3 vehicles in the show room. Sales guy wanted to sell me the car even though I specifically told him I wanted the EV version. He wanted to know why I was only interested in the EV version. I just walked out. Felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home. Please Tesla, get that Model 3 out of the factory for goodness sake!

RT

Sat in an Ioniq Hybrid a week or so ago when I picked my car back up from the shop. Just wanted to see how much room the car had in case I wanted to ponder an Ioniq Electric. Amazing amount of room in the front seat. I'm 6'4" and I had at least 4" of headroom. Back seat was another story. Head was bumping the roof. Anyone over maybe 5'10" would have the same problem.

Kind of a shady dealership. Only 3 vehicles in the show room. Sales guy wanted to sell me the car even though I specifically told him I wanted the EV version. He wanted to know why I was only interested in the EV version. I just walked out. Felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home. Please Tesla, get that Model 3 out of the factory for goodness sake!

RT
Oh yeah. I know what you mean. I bought my car 7 years ago, and I'm still irritated at the sales guy.

Hyundai rolls out 58-mpg Ioniq Hybrid for 2017

"The first version to arrive is the Ioniq Hybrid, which is now on sale at Hyundai dealerships nationwide with a starting price of $22,200 (plus $835 freight) and a maximum EPA fuel-economy rating of 58 mpg.

Coming in April will be the 2017 Ioniq EV, with a starting price of $29,500 - or just $22,000 after a $7,500 federal tax credit. It will be available at dealerships in California, or by special order only at dealers outside California.

Powered by a lithium-ion polymer battery pack, the Ioniq EV has a published range of 124 miles on a full charge. Like other pure electrics, it will not have a gasoline backup engine, so it will need to be recharged from an external source once the battery runs down.

Coming this fall, as a 2018 model, will be the Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid. No prices have been announced yet, but it will have a range of 27 miles on battery power alone, which means that owners who have short daily commutes might not need to buy gasoline very often. The gasoline engine kicks in when the battery gets low, or the driver switches to "Sport" driving mode.

As for the regular Ioniq Hybrid, which doesn't require outside charging, there are three trim levels: the base Blue model ($22,200), the midlevel SEL ($23,950), and the top-of-the-line Limited ($27,500)"

• Informative
Reactions: William3
Here are the details for the charging reimbursement credit. You have to click on the small * to see the fine print for all the areas that have fine print...

charge%20credit_zpsdljwe4hv.jpg

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Zoomit
Ok, the calculator shows that the $/mile works out to: (28/124) * 0.186 = $0.042. Or 4.2 cents per mile for every mile driven. It is limited to the first 50,000 miles so the maximum reimbursement would be 50,000 * 0.042 = $2,100.

You have to stay in the program the entire time. You need to have an OBD monitor installed. It looks like if you self generate solar you still get paid for the reimbursement, since no electric bills need to be submitted.

For the $275/mo plan, the $2,100 total reimbursement would cover about 7.6 months of the 36 month lease cost.

I think this is Hyundai's way of moving these very efficient cars that get rather low (124) range. The unlimited mileage will appeal to those with long commutes. Looks like they thought this through. Not a bad price either. I think they will sell a good number of these.

The Unlimited+ plan is only available in California ;)

RT

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Jeff N
Thank you for the updates! So the only remaining question then is how much does the Blue Link service cost each month?

More questions than answers here. There are 3 different levels of Blue Link service. I had initially thought a OBD dongle was required, but it looks like Hyundai now has this capability built into most of their cars. What is unclear is which of the 3 Blue Link services are required, if any, to allow for the mileage reimbursement...

blue%20link_zpslza8usxj.jpg

Kind of interesting how now everyone is getting into the "monthly subscription" model of business. Here we have Hyundai offering 3 different packages for $99 each per year. So $8.33 per month, if you get all 3 thats $25 per month. I imagine they are hoping that the owner will carry these all going forward and simply forget that they show up as monthly charges. If they work the "deal" like cable and satellite companies do, they will make you put up a credit card, and then you agree to automatically start paying after the "trial period" unless you cancel the service. Good luck trying to cancel the service once the billing starts.

Taking off my cynical hat for a moment, some of the things being offered have a lot of utility. Automatic crash detection and calling is obvious. For my Soul EV, being able to remotely turn on the heating/AC is really nice, though the car has to be plugged in. Not sure how that would work on the Ioniq Electric. The Blue Link pulldowns do not even list that car as one of the options yet, so YMMV.

If they insist of having you sign up for all 3 services thats $297 per year. The mileage reimbursement for 12,000 miles per year is $504. Possibly a case of nickle and diming you via the fine print and a required monthly subscription.

RT

Last edited:
So Hyundai is a regular hybrid advertiser on Jeopardy here in SoCal. One of the few programs I record and watch. Last Monday they ran a commercial for the Ioniq EV Unlimited + plan. This one only ran one time. Its not available on the Hyundai Youtube channel, so I recorded it and you can see it here. Lots of fine print at the bottom...

• Informative
Reactions: gene