Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai announces IONIQ price in the US: $29,500 before incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what this will cost:

Patterned after the way people get smartphones, the Unlimited Subscription Model requires no money down, and you pay a pre-determined monthly payment based on the model and features. That subscription is for 36 months, and includes unlimited mileage, plus free scheduled maintenance, free replacement of regular wear items (think windshield wipers, tires, etc.) and reimbursement for the cost of charging the car for the first 50,000 miles. The idea was that millennials may not necessarily feel the need to buy a car, so aren't as willing to deal with a multi-hour slog at a dealership.

Patterned after the way people get smartphones, the Unlimited Subscription Model requires no money down, and you pay a pre-determined monthly payment based on the model and features. That subscription is for 36 months, and includes unlimited mileage, plus free scheduled maintenance, free replacement of regular wear items (think windshield wipers, tires, etc.) and reimbursement for the cost of charging the car for the first 50,000 miles. The idea was that millennials may not necessarily feel the need to buy a car, so aren't as willing to deal with a multi-hour slog at a dealership.
More curious is what it could mean to the dealership model, if Hyundai starts selling cars direct on their website. That would be all too easy once these terms are implemented. Hello Michigan, and the rest?

The thing that keeps me from buying an Ioniq is the thing that will cause me to cancel my 3 reservation. Lack of fast charging infrastructure. No fast charging, road trips become a pain in the ass.

I may consider the PHEV version, depending on specs.

The thing that keeps me from buying an Ioniq is the thing that will cause me to cancel my 3 reservation. Lack of fast charging infrastructure. No fast charging, road trips become a pain in the ass.

I may consider the PHEV version, depending on specs.
The Ioniq Plug-in has some limitations in that it relies on waste heat from the gas engine for cabin heating and it's motor is limited to 44.5 kW (60 HP). The original Prius Plug-in also had no electric and had motor output limited to less than 38 kW. The new Prius Prime plug-in can do up to 68 kW (91 HP) from its battery pack like the Ford Energi models. The Chevrolet Volt can do 111 kW (149 HP) with 0-30 mph nearly as fast as the original Model S60.

The Ford Energi models are somewhat less efficient and can only do around 20 miles of electric range with a 0-60 mph of about 15 seconds in EVNow mode or 7-8 seconds with gas engine assist. The Ioniq Plug-in does about 27 miles and any 0-60 time kept all-electric would probably be 20+ seconds or maybe 9-10 seconds with gas engine assist. The Volt is EPA 53 miles and does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds either all-electric or in gas burning mode.

The Ioniq is likely competitive with other 20-something mile range plug-in hybrids depending upon final pricing which has not been revealed yet. Among the 3 Ioniq variants, it probably has the weakest marketing story versus its competitors.

The plain Ioniq hybrid is significantly cheaper (if you don't want to pay for advanced camera and radar-based safety features) and gets slightly better gasoline EPA ratings than the Prius and other competing hybrids.

The Ioniq Electric has nearly the highest range of the sub-200 mile range cars with 124 miles and the highest efficiency at 136 MPGe and includes a heat pump system to stretch the miles during the winter. It also charges faster, at up to 70 kW, than any other non-Tesla electric car when the new CCS stations begin showing up later this year.

The bottom line for plug-in cars is that the Volt provides a much better electric driving experience while still providing full-performance extended range for road trips in areas with poor DC charging coverage at 42 mpg.

• Informative
Reactions: William3

I'm also curious to know if this 'Unlimited Subscription Model' is substantially different enough from a lease that the $2.5k CVRP would no longer apply, or is this really just a case of rebranding what a 'lease' is to try to attract Millennials.

The Ioniq Plug-in has some limitations in that it relies on waste heat from the gas engine for cabin heating and it's motor is limited to 44.5 kW (60 HP). The original Prius Plug-in also had no electric and had motor output limited to less than 38 kW. The new Prius Prime plug-in can do up to 68 kW (91 HP) from its battery pack like the Ford Energi models. The Chevrolet Volt can do 111 kW (149 HP) with 0-30 mph nearly as fast as the original Model S60.

The Ford Energi models are somewhat less efficient and can only do around 20 miles of electric range with a 0-60 mph of about 15 seconds in EVNow mode or 7-8 seconds with gas engine assist. The Ioniq Plug-in does about 27 miles and any 0-60 time kept all-electric would probably be 20+ seconds or maybe 9-10 seconds with gas engine assist. The Volt is EPA 53 miles and does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds either all-electric or in gas burning mode.

The Ioniq is likely competitive with other 20-something mile range plug-in hybrids depending upon final pricing which has not been revealed yet. Among the 3 Ioniq variants, it probably has the weakest marketing story versus its competitors.

The plain Ioniq hybrid is significantly cheaper (if you don't want to pay for advanced camera and radar-based safety features) and gets slightly better gasoline EPA ratings than the Prius and other competing hybrids.

The Ioniq Electric has nearly the highest range of the sub-200 mile range cars with 124 miles and the highest efficiency at 136 MPGe and includes a heat pump system to stretch the miles during the winter. It also charges faster, at up to 70 kW, than any other non-Tesla electric car when the new CCS stations begin showing up later this year.

The bottom line for plug-in cars is that the Volt provides a much better electric driving experience while still providing full-performance extended range for road trips in areas with poor DC charging coverage at 42 mpg.
Your analysis is correct. I must note though, that I guesstimate that the Volt will be about C$10K more than the Ioniq PHEV.

I'll have to do an more detailed analysis of my finances by the end of the year and see where I stand when it comes to buying a new car.

I must also note that Ford Energi line is basically a compliance car that doesn't meet the needs of anybody with its limited range. Also they have a reputation for breaking down if you look at them wrong. My first vehicle was a Ford and it certainly wasn't a quality vehicle.