Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you swap the front end from the gas one? Why did they make it fugly?!
So when "EVs don't sell" they can blame it on the "EV" part and not the part where they ruined the look?!

I'd happily swap the face for the gas one. What the heck Hyundai?! Hyundai_Kona_1.0_T-GDI_Trend_–_Frontansicht,_24._Dezember_2017,_Düsseldorf.jpg

So when "EVs don't sell" they can blame it on the "EV" part and not the part where they ruined the look?!

I'd happily swap the face for the gas one. What the heck Hyundai?!View attachment 291497
How are you going to access the charge port through that grille? It looks like the EV "cheese grater" has the same kind of door in the nose as the Soul EV.

-
The Kona EV has now been released in Korea.
Here's a photo of the price sheet.

Some details -
The standard car is the 64kWh version. It comes in two trims Modern and Premium.
To get the 39.2kWh version you tick the 'Light Package' option.
The 'Winter Package' is an extra that gives you heat pump and battery heater.

The 64kWh version has nominal voltage 356V and nominal capacity 60Ah.
The 39.2kWh version has nominal voltage 327V and nominal capacity 60Ah.

It seems highly likely given these figures that the cells used in the Kona EV are almost the same as the one we have seen in the Bolt EV.
Hence the 64kWh version has 3 cells in parallel to form a cell group and the the 39.2kWh version has 2.
For 64kWh version - 3.7V * 60Ah * 288 cells = 64kWh and 3.7V * 96 cell triplets = 355.2V
compared to the Bolt EV - 3.6V * 58Ah * 288 cells = 60kWh and 3.6V * 96 cell triplets = 345.6V
(I know the Bolt EV has a nominal voltage of 350V, hence cell voltage is higher than 3.6V, but am lowering it here to reduce the capacity to 60kWh because I don't want to argue about the actual capacity of the Bolt EV on this thread. Use the Bolt EV thread for that.)

Details on this cell here - Electric Revs Blog: Jaguar and Chevy have LG in common

[url=https://abload.de/img/htb1dby2ofxxxxxzxvxxq7mrdy.jpg]
[/URL]

• Informative
Reactions: arcus

I'd happily swap the face for the gas one. What the heck Hyundai?!View attachment 291497

And if they would have done that, people would complain that Hyundai can't let go of their traditional gas car looks. I'd prefer the gas car looks, too. But people seem to love the grill less face of a Model 3, so other car makers will follow.

This went out in Canada.

View attachment 296370

That doesn’t necessarily mean it affects the Kona EV, though it probably will.

Long before a car is built, the OEM and it’s supplies sign supply contracts based on the OEMs estimated demand.

Now Hyundai extremely underestimated demand for the IONIQ and now they have supply issues.

Let’s hope they learned a thing, or two and apply that to the Kona.

I think the Kona has a lot going for it but it's simply too small for me. I've seen the non-EV Kona and it's a compact car with zero room for legs in the back. That's a pass from me. Not a fan of silver plastic interior either (but then again I also can't stand the shiny and easily scratched piano black surfaces which sadly found their way into beautiful Model 3 so sometimes I guess you just have to compromise). The coming Kia Niro EV from the Korean sister company (which is based on much the same driveline as the Kona) looks more interesting from my perspective.

I have a Kona ev on order (for my wife) and have been told I should get it late July so I will let you know what it’s like. Been in the petrol one and I thought the interior wasn’t too bad to be honest. I also like the front grill.

Considering the other choices at present I think it’s the best option for her.

The Niro is the Kia version of the Kona in the same platform apparently but tuned for range whereas the Kona is tuned more for performance (not massive difference but some so I have been told)

The Niro is the Kia version of the Kona in the same platform apparently but tuned for range whereas the Kona is tuned more for performance (not massive difference but some so I have been told)
That's not exactly what I've heard and read. As far as I'm informed the Kona will come with a choice of two power trains and the Niro will only be offered with the most powerful of the two. However, since the Niro is a slightly bigger car the range might acutally be slightly less than the Kona with the same engine and battery pack. The size is what makes the main difference for me. The Niro is 7.5 inches longer than than Kona and its wheelbase is also about 3 inches longer. That makes a significant difference in terms of practicality and comfort when three fast growing kids have to share the back seat behind me (I'm about 6'5"). Already my 11 year old son was not able to sit behind me in the Kona without hurting his knees against the hard plastic on the back of the front seats. That's why I went away from it. If you don't need space I think the Kona will be good value for money.

Having watched both videos there is some encouraging news. Bjorn seems impressed with the quality and performance of the car. Efficiency is very high, surprisingly better than the Model 3. 500km mixed driving, 350km at 125kph (78 MPH) which is exceptional.

Steering assist seems to work very well. I notice that he skipped over the "driver attention" options. There is an "off" setting, I wonder if that affects the hands-on-wheel warning.

Charging also seems to be extremely good, maintaining 25kW even at 92% SoC. Shame he had some charger trouble on the trip but this car seems to have a very well engineered charging system and battery thermal management.

Reactions: daktari