Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai to Launch 2016 Midsize BEV Powered By Next-Gen LG Chem Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Hyundai sucks anyway, not even out and already uses outdated tehnology, the M3 will be 10 years ahead of this crap

Easy on the anti-EV rhetoric. Some people need to walk before they can run.

Any new BEV is a step in the right direction. It means we're winning. Just because a legacy carmaker is unwilling to dedicate the resources that tesla has to the cause doesn't make their efforts a flop. And even if the vehicle itself is a flop [compared to the model 3], they're developing know-how that they will inevitably need in the future.

Some posts were moved to this thread from the Model 3 subforum.

But the Ioniq probably won't suck, for being what it is - a Leaf competitor. If the price is right, at least.

What's interesting about the whole thing is that Hyundai is making a BEV, while they still think HFCEVs are the way to go. This puts them in an awkward situation (although not as an awkward a situation as if Toyota were to make a BEV).

Hyundai Norway said they were a bit disappointed with the range, and proposed the solution that anyone who bought an Ioniq BEV would be allowed to borrow a ix35 FCEV if they needed to go long distance! Of course, the ix35 FCEV will likely be worse at going long distances for the overseeable future, even if the range of the Ioniq is pretty low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of Japan it seems new 107 mile range LEAF sales suck.

And LEAF 2.0 with 155-225 mile range is about a year away.

For the IONIQ BEV to jump into the fray with 107 mile range as the 200 mile EV parade starts sucks.

IF the Korean prices are any indication of American and European prices then IONIQ BEV will not be MSRP competitive. It will need an MSRP downward adjustment or dealers giving big discounts to move. A brand new model BEV becoming distressed merchandise sucks.

200-Mile Hyundai IONIQ Electric Coming In 2018

The article says the IONIQ Electric is delayed for US introduction. I think that skipping the 28kWh version in the US market and waiting for the 200+ mile version 1-1.5 years later would be a good move for Hyundai. Get people used to the Hybrid and Plug-In versions of the brand and then deliver a compelling BEV later. There is still a reasonable market opportunity for Hyundai in other countries with today's BEV version that will be getting the Bolt/Ampera-E and Model 3 later than the US.

I have no use for the 28kWh version (it's probably more like ~32kWh since 28kWh is the usable capacity), but the 200+ miles Ioniq could be great if the price is right. Although I prefer station wagon designs, and the Model 3 looks better than the Ioniq, it's still a great-looking car IMO. Nothing like BMW i3, Bolt, Leaf or Zoe.

Also, the Ioniq appears to be very efficient, probably due to low weight and good aerodynamics. The 200 miles version should hopefully make "even better" use of 100kW CCS chargers, since the 28kWh Ioniq already makes better use of CCS compared to e.g. the Bolt or i3.

So while I still prefer the Model 3 (superchargers, Autopilot, looks), the 200mi Ioniq might be a serious competition, depending on price. (Also assuming we have a nice CCS network by 2018, which appears to be the case in Germany at least.)

Did your assumptions hold up? In your opinion, does it have "decent" range to sell well at the announced price?

Ask your question again by 2018 when the Model 3 and the new/updated cars from Hyundai ship. Here are some articles. First:

200-Mile Hyundai IONIQ Electric Coming In 2018

And then:

Hyundai Announces Major Plug-In Push: 4 PHEVs Plus 4 BEVs By 2020

Note that these numbers don't even include new, upcoming PHEVs/EVs from sister brands Genesis (high-end) and KIA.

My sources pointed to these cars when I made my comments in 2015 and earlier this year. I didnt' know Hyundai would first ship a model (first IONIQ BEV) with a lower range before these upcoming models.

The important point however is: You can only compare the Model3 to competing cars in terms of range, price etc. when it (and the competition) actually ships in volume on a global scale. That will be in 2018-2020.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. There's A LOT to analyze here!

First, my suspicions were correct: the IONIQ is first and foremost designed around a gas/electric hybrid powertrain. If you look at the detailed graphic of the unibody structure, the floorpan is Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) rated for over 60 Kgf. You can see the tunnel built for the exhaust pipe, which exists in the powertrain diagram. This is important because it almost certainly rules out the use of a skateboard battery platform in the pure EV version of the IONIQ (deleting this floorpan to use a skateboard battery would have serious consequences for the rest of the body and chassis, basically requiring an entire re-design). This has several probable consequences for the BEV edition: worse weight distribution, higher center of gravity, and lower cargo space versus Tesla, GM, and Nissan.

Second, Hyundai is placing great empahsis on the hybrid powertrain: "world's highest thermal efficiency", "Dual Clutch transmission". The LiPO battery description takes a potshot at NiMH battery (used in Prius). It's obvious that Hyundai is gunning for Toyota and looking to take down the Prius.

It is likely than anyone who thinks the IONIQ will compete with Model 3 is likely in for a big disappointment. This car is NOT designed from the ground up to be a BEV. The EV version probably won't even be competition for the Chevy Bolt.

This is probably the best post about the Ioniq on this forum. Am impressed.

I know the Ioniq BEV has not been released yet in the US but here in Korea we are onto version 2.

see - 아이오닉 전기차 새모델 뒷좌석 천장 공간 넓힌다…가격대는 유지

Ionic Electric Car Next Month New Model Widening the Back Seat Ceiling Space
Hyundai Motors' electric 'Ionic Electric' increases the backseat ceiling space by more than 4cm. The battery in the back seat improves the complaint that the seat is raised structurally and the head reaches the ceiling. As new overseas models of electric cars are launched in succession, they reflect consumers' opinions...

The slip phenomenon, in which slippery wheels slip from steep slopes such as slopes, will be improved in a more structured manner over time. This is because it is not easy to solve the structural problem that loads a lot of batteries at the back of the car.

A Hyundai Motor official said, "Most of the inconveniences received from customers during the six months of the car launch are reflected in the new model in 2017,"...