Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am paranoid or is this a bad tint job?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tint.jpg
I just wanted to see if this is normal. I just had XPEL prime XR plus tint placed on my MX 2 wks agoView attachment 429027 . There seems to be a haze/cloudy appearance when the sun is directly hitting the window. Enclosed is a picture of the passenger front window with XPEL prime XR plus 55. This is my first time tinting. Is this normal? Thanks...

Is 55 the transparency %? That seems extremely light. As for the haze...doesn’t look normal. I got Xpel XR as well but at 25% transparency, no gradient or haze like that.

Maybe it’s different at such high transparency rate though.

Call or go by the installer and ask. It might need to cure? I'm no expert but after several tint jobs on several vehicles you'd be surprised what a few days can do for small bubbles and such. I'm hoping in your case the glue/adhesive just needs to dry. Keep us posted!

Before I reply, note that I am a shop owner, not the shop that did the work and I am not representing any specific brand.

Paranoid? No. Bad work? No.
Unfortunately, at certain angles with the sun in the sky, you will occasionally see a "haze" with ALL ceramic window films, especially with the lighter shades. That's the trade for getting high efficiency heat blocking ceramic tint. Before you say, "my other car doesn't have..." or something similar, most clients don't ever notice the haze. Some brands have it more noticable than others. It isn't bad tint or a bad installation that causes this. Over the last few years, I've only had a couple of clients notice or dislike the haze enough to point it out. I typically offer a darker film that doesn't have as noticable haze or I offer to remove it and refund for the cost of the job.

Call or go by the installer and ask. It might need to cure? I'm no expert but after several tint jobs on several vehicles you'd be surprised what a few days can do for small bubbles and such. I'm hoping in your case the glue/adhesive just needs to dry. Keep us posted!
I've been reading online it might take up to a month for it to fully cure. I've been parking the car outside to see if the sun can help cure it better than being in the garage. I'll wait another week to see if it clears up...

Reactions: byeLT4
Before I reply, note that I am a shop owner, not the shop that did the work and I am not representing any specific brand.

Unfortunately, at certain angles with the sun in the sky, you will occasionally see a "haze" with ALL ceramic window films, especially with the lighter shades. That's the trade for getting high efficiency heat blocking ceramic tint. Before you say, "my other car doesn't have..." or something similar, most clients don't ever notice the haze. Some brands have it more noticable than others. It isn't bad tint or a bad installation that causes this. Over the last few years, I've only had a couple of clients notice or dislike the haze enough to point it out. I typically offer a darker film that doesn't have as noticable haze or I offer to remove it and refund for the cost of the job.
Yes, I've been reading up on the low angle haze effect. However with this tint it is there all the time. Hopefully all it needs is a little more time to fully cure...thanks...

I was hoping the windows were dirty...but they're not. I've cleaned it and the haze/cloudiness is still there.
I've been reading online it might take up to a month for it to fully cure. I've been parking the car outside to see if the sun can help cure it better than being in the garage. I'll wait another week to see if it clears up...

You should still call the installer and text them a picture. If for no other reason, to hear what they have to say (another data point. They may say, bring it back right away so we can replace it before it cures!

Reactions: zoomer0056

Do you use soft water at your shop?

Do you use soft water at your shop?
We use filtered water, not chemically treated though.
Based on the original pic, that haze will not go away or reduce at all. The curing timeline of 30 days is based on winter/colder conditions. The odds are, after 2 or 3 days, it's done curing.

You probably should contact the shop and tell them that you don't like the haze. Hopefully they won't be negative about it. I honestly don't think this is hard water, bad installation, bad prep/cleaning, or bad film. It's just low angle haze more commonly found in high efficiency ceramic films in the lighter shades. With that said, it is pretty noticeable. If you're not happy with it, take it back and see what options that shop offers you.

I am just giving my professional perspective, not defending the shop, installer, or the film here. I'm not saying that you don't have the right to be unhappy with the finished results. Just giving more clarity so you KNOW specifically what the "issue" is. :)

I hope this helps. @XPEL, please chime in and help us out here?

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
View attachment 429028 I just wanted to see if this is normal. I just had XPEL prime XR plus tint placed on my MX 2 wks agoView attachment 429027 . There seems to be a haze/cloudy appearance when the sun is directly hitting the window. Enclosed is a picture of the passenger front window with XPEL prime XR plus 55. This is my first time tinting. Is this normal? Thanks...

Logie,

We're sorry to hear about the XR PLUS low angle haze. This is a rare occurrence but it can happen. Please take it back to your installer and have them re-do the tint on any window giving you that hazy look. That is covered under warranty no problem.

Reactions: Matty_USC