Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am sure you did it too.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my phone isnt synced to the 3 because I am logged into my account with the S. My wife's is because mainly her car.

sometimes to get a head start loading the car etc I use the card to open doors etc and when we get to our destination we just walk away.

THE CAR DOES NOT LOCK ITSELF IF YOU USE THE CARD TO OPEN. YOU MUST USE THE CARD TO LOCK.

This really irritates me. The 3 is missing features of the S. Car lights int/ext turn on at approach with phone, proximity. The 3 app missing remote access to driving. I miss this. This is super convenient at time when one of you is carrying the keys/phone to the car. I can't just log into my wife's account with the 3 because it requires the key card to sync.

Reactions: RealDeael
How does it know?
Proximity sensors. The same way the car knows that your phone is outside with you as you try to open the door. When the phone is inside the car will not lock. Clearly it *needs* to know where your phone is, or your phone could not work as the "key."

The Model 3 will alert you to close the console door more gently if you use more force than needed - why not add a message to remind you to take your phone if you put the car in park with a phone in the charging tray?
Great point. And I'm still trying to figure out how it senses that console door thing!

sometimes to get a head start loading the car etc I use the card to open doors etc and when we get to our destination we just walk away.

THE CAR DOES NOT LOCK ITSELF IF YOU USE THE CARD TO OPEN. YOU MUST USE THE CARD TO LOCK.
Ah... I'm glad you got this! I came here last night to post this very warning when I saw what you had written. But TMC was down, so I waited until today.

I found this out inadvertently just the other day as I was playing with my card keys. And sure enough, if you unlock with the card key, the "walk away" lock seems to be overridden. I guess you must lock the same way that you unlock. I suppose this will prevent you from locking your CARD KEY in the car, just like leaving your phone in there will prevent you from locking your phone in the car (Hmmm, now I need to go leave my phone in the car and try to lock it with the key...)

Anyway, yeah. Good warning for all: If you unlock with your key, don't expect the car to lock itself!

(Hmmm, now I need to go leave my phone in the car and try to lock it with the key...)

I walked up to the car with my phone, and opened the door. I put my phone on the console, closed the door, and then "locked" with my card key. The mirrors folded as if it were locked. But no lights flashed. And... the door is not locked. So don't try leaving your phone in the car even on purpose thinking that you can lock it in there with the card key!

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner