Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't really understand the software upgrades. Do I get FSD updates even though I only purchased EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also trying to determine if my 2023 HW4 EAP car will get builds that include FSD Beta code (it hasn’t happened yet). If you do get FSD Beta code, it won’t make any functional difference if you have EAP.
I’m really new to all of this, so don’t really know what I’m talking about. But it seems like the new code for FSD could impact enhanced auto pilot. So I guess I’m curious if they’re rewriting the code from the ground up for FSD it seems like that there would be some overlap with EAP but I have no idea and don’t know enough about it to ask intelligent questions. :)

I purchased the Enhanced Auto Pilot package for my 23 MYLR. I see a lot of chatter about all the new software upgrades coming out. Most of it's list as FSD. Since I only purchased EAP will I see any benefit from the new FSD updates?
There are two software versions of concern. First is the basic software for your car. This is probably something like 2023.20.8. You likely get an update of this every few weeks or so. These updates have bug fixes and often have new features.

Second is the FSDb software, usually referred to as something like 11.4.4. This is code that is included with the other software for the car. In your case, since you have EAP, but not FSD, that code will not be used for driving. And, at present, that code is not incorporated into EAP or TACC, so any updates to FSDb do not affect your car.

There does not appear to be much, if any, changes to the legacy EAP/AP/TACC for some time. It's likely that Tesla plans to incorporate code from FSDb into these functions at some point in the future. When, or even if, this occurs is anyone's guess. However, these legacy products have plenty of issues with things like phantom braking, so it's likely that Tesla wants to ditch the old code.

There are two software versions of concern. First is the basic software for your car. This is probably something like 2023.20.8. You likely get an update of this every few weeks or so. These updates have bug fixes and often have new features.

Second is the FSDb software, usually referred to as something like 11.4.4. This is code that is included with the other software for the car. In your case, since you have EAP, but not FSD, that code will not be used for driving. And, at present, that code is not incorporated into EAP or TACC, so any updates to FSDb do not affect your car.

There does not appear to be much, if any, changes to the legacy EAP/AP/TACC for some time. It's likely that Tesla plans to incorporate code from FSDb into these functions at some point in the future. When, or even if, this occurs is anyone's guess. However, these legacy products have plenty of issues with things like phantom braking, so it's likely that Tesla wants to ditch the old code.
Thanks! This is very helpful. I don’t currently have access to summon and parking features that I paid for. How do you guess this would be updated, code wise? Also, my car has HW4. Does my car Benefit from hw4 with EAP or only if I pay for fsd?

Thanks! This is very helpful. I don’t currently have access to summon and parking features that I paid for. How do you guess this would be updated, code wise? Also, my car has HW4. Does my car Benefit from hw4 with EAP or only if I pay for fsd?
Summon and parking features are disabled for cars that do not have ultrasonic sensors. You can expect these to be added in the future as Tesla refines the camera-only substitute. When this will occur is anybody's guess and is, understandably, a sore spot for many.

I don't know whether your car sees any benefit from HW4 at this point. I get the impression that Tesla is not yet taking much, if any, benefit of the additional camera resolution or autopilot computer speed.

I guess another way of asking what I’ve been curious of is… does my car use FSD software but a stripped down version of it because I’ve only paid for EAP? Or is the code for FSD and EAP completely separate?
I think that, for what you are asking, the answer is that the code is completely separate. I say that because I think what you mean by FSD is FSD beta.

Reactions: gad1976