Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't want "hate mail" but I have some issues with the Model 3:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry but had to laugh at the list. Doesn't sound like you don't own a Model 3 and are looking for issues to pick at. If you drove one don't think you'd have to ask what's so great about the car :D . I'll humor with my answers to the list anyway.

The frunk -- closing really isn't a problem and anyone going into yours should of course know enough about the car to do so in the manner indicated. This is our second Tesla and we use our frunks often with no problems. Not that it matters but most people tend use the trunk area.

The heated seats -- We live in the same area as you and find either 1 or 2 is more than enough in the cold winter morning here. Only need to keep it on for a short time if we just get in and use it (sometimes precondition, so no problem there either) and the car's fan on heat or a/c works really fast to bring to temp. How sensitive is your personal "seat" that you need more "refined" temperature control?

Door release latches -- Are you talking about the emergency latch? It's not meant for regular door opening.

Spare tire -- None of our more recent cars had a spare. I guess it begs the question where have you been all these years or what have you been driving?

Last edited:
And all these explanations about the spare don't even mention how much fewer people each year don't know HOW-TO charge a tire anyway. Amazing how many people call for help when they have a flat EVEN when they have the spare there.
You're telling me that calling AAA and having them put on my spare isn't how it was meant to be done?

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

The first three things you mention in your issues list are complete non-issues in my opinion. The only valid thing is the lack of a spare tire, however as many others have already mentioned here a lot of cars don’t come with spares anymore. My 2012 Mustang did not come with a spare and instead had a tire repair/inflation kit included. That being said it would be nice if Tesla provided this with the vehicle purchase as well.

I’ve owned my 3 for over 9 months now and believe me, I have not babied it one bit. I regularly push its limits and it has never disappointed in terms of performance or reliability. That’s not to say I haven’t had a few issues (had the charge port and aero shield replaced), but I expected potential issues like this because the Model 3’s produced so far would be considered first year production vehicles. Most cars in the first year of production for an entirely new model will encounter some issues. I’m sure the Model 3’s rolling off the line now have updated parts that have been revised thanks to feedback from owners like myself. I knew the risks and decided to get a Model 3 anyway and despite the few issues I’ve experienced I wouldn’t change a thing.

Have you seen a Model 3 in person? Taken one for a test drive? If not I’d imagine your views may change once you get behind the wheel of one. If you already have taken a test drive and are still not sold then luckily there are several other options out there. But for the price I believe there is not a better EV on the market at the moment.

Reactions: Dre78
1. Frunk is a gimmick and there is no reason to use it IMHO
2. UI would be a pain and I can't see why this would be necessary.
3. I agree it's dumb.
4. They should have put the spare tire in the frunk or made the well in the trunk big enough. I'd be fine with it being optional.

I'm sure I could find way more things wrong with any car :p

Last edited:
1. Frunk is a gimmick and there is no reason to use it IMHO
2. UI would be a pain and I can't see why this would be necessary.
3. I agree it's dumb.
4. They should have put the spare tire in the frunk or made the well in the trunk big enough. I'd be fine with it being optional.

I'm sure I could find way more things wrong with any car :p
I use the Frunk all the time. It's great to have extra storage and those hooks come in very handy. I love putting leftovers in there so that it doesn't stink up the cabin.

1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..
4. No spare tire? People resort to patch kits and 12v inflation pumps? WOW.

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)
I'm adding a 5th complaint.

5. Can't control the cabin temperature in quarter increments (e.g., 72.25, 80.75)

WTF is up with that!?!?!?

I use the Frunk all the time. It's great to have extra storage and those hooks come in very handy. I love putting leftovers in there so that it doesn't stink up the cabin.

I'm on the other spectrum that I use the frunk for important stuff which I rarely use, like a blanket, warning cones, tire inflator, charging accessories.

Serious question: What would be the point of having more than three heat settings?

Anyone ever accidentally tap one more than your desired setting? Imagine having 6 settings. That's like 12 taps if you miss the one you wanted! Multiple this by five seats. A slider bar would be annoying too.

However, if the four items that you list are absolute deal breakers for you, then you may need to find a different vehicle or vehicle segment altogether.
I wouldn't say "deal breakers" but rather give me pause, as I wonder what other odd things are there about these cars. I've never driven one, but the other day I got to sit in one and that's when I thought maybe I should seriously consider getting one. I'd always thought I wouldn't fit (6'5").

Serious question: What would be the point of having more than three heat settings?

Anyone ever accidentally tap one more than your desired setting? Imagine having 6 settings. That's like 12 taps if you miss the one you wanted! Multiple this by five seats. A slider bar would be annoying too.
ah, we have 5 settings and each one has it's place. Do you live where it's cold enough to need heated seats? My Sienna sits in the driveway where it gets into the 20's and 30's--nothing like other parts of the country, but leather seats can be mighty cold if you aren't wearing ski pants. :)

1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)
For me, what is "so great overall" about Model 3 is that it will be completely paid off by fuel savings in 250k miles. That's wholly achievable and just incredible. It's also an indicator that gasoline prices will be under constant downward pressure in the world market as EVs continue to gobble up share of vehicles on the roads, but I digress. This is similar to my 2012 Nissan LEAF being completely paid for by fuel savings in 100k miles, but with a fundamentally greater experience and use flexibility in Model 3 of course. As to your engineering points:
1. Yeah I agree this is pretty lame. But my solution is to just not use it unless the trunk is maxed out (~never). It's not like I've ever had the ability to use a frunk before, so it being there as a novelty (unused) is just fine (with me). They'll fix this design on future builds I suspect.
2. Seems like plenty to me. My ass isn't too discriminating. I'd rather them add ventilated seats than worry about specific temps on the heated ones.
3. I thought the door releases would be a problem but in nine months I've not had a single person struggle with this topic. So it appears to simply not be a problem in real world use. Right as I explain to a newbie how to open the door from the exterior, I point out the button on the inside to open the door. Done. Not dissimilar to a pilot conducting a pre-flight with his passenger.
4. I'm used to no spare (2012 LEAF). Seven years of LEAF + 0.75 years of Model 3 and it's yet to be an issue. Makes me wonder why I've lugged around spare tires my whole life in other vehicles. I don't drive in the middle of nowhere, but I can see how those who do would not be interested in a lack of spare/jack/etc. The weight and space of this equipment is an obvious tradeoff for greater battery weight/range/performance attributes.

I don't need my Model 3 to be so fast. I do enjoy the quiet though (actually, I enjoy the amazing sound system...rarely if ever would my Model 3 be described as 'quiet.'). But I tip my hat to Tesla for making it such a quick car, because it helps to educate humanity what instant torque is all about as humanity continues to get educated about the clear superiority of EVs vs ICEs.

Reactions: landis and Dre78

How do your issues differ from the Model S and X?

You don't have a Model 3 issues.

You have a Tesla issues.

Didn't you get an explanation of the car before you purchased it? Or....are you just learning these things now? Did you research Tesla cars before you purchased one ( they haven't changed )? And if any of these questions are true...how it this now a Tesla issue?

Wait....do you even own a Model 3?

I wouldn't say "deal breakers" but rather give me pause, as I wonder what other odd things are there about these cars. I've never driven one, but the other day I got to sit in one and that's when I thought maybe I should seriously consider getting one. I'd always thought I wouldn't fit (6'5").
My son is 6'4"+ and finds the Model 3 to be exceptionally comfortable even on long trips.