Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't want "hate mail" but I have some issues with the Model 3:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved it the first time I took some trash to the county recycle place and opened both the trunk and frunk, I don't think the attendant had ever seen such and he was literally running to ask/see where the engine was. The car was a mid-engined ICE.

You can hide Xmas presents for one person in the frunk and use the trunk to let them help unload the others. Or stash the booster seat in it when not in use.

1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..
4. No spare tire? People resort to patch kits and 12v inflation pumps? WOW.

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)

Let's feed the troll, shall we? ;)

As for
1. What's so special about that?
2. All the cars with heated seats I ever owned or drove had three settings. Which car provides more?
3. As others have pointed out, it's only the emergency door releases. Not the normal ones, so non-issue I guess.
4. Like with the heated seats I don't quite get where you're coming from. Almost all cars nowadays come without a spare tire, many even without a tire repair kit at all. Then again, the only time in twenty-three years I had a puncture was when I had to swerve off the road because of some oncoming overtaking maniac. I hit the curb very hard and ruptured both passenger side tires. Thankfully nothing like that has ever happened to me again since.

Yeah, 3 seems fine to me. I have an Acura TL and that only has a rocker switch - Lo and Hi. I use Hi to heat my seat up and when it starts getting too hot, I switch to Lo.

How could you drive a car with just two settings?

One of the cars I owned did have separate settings to turn the heat on for just the seat or just the back - it may have been an Acura MDX but can't remember. That was a nice setting to have as I have a bad back and could heat the back without warming the bum.

Reactions: JeffK
1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..
4. No spare tire? People resort to patch kits and 12v inflation pumps? WOW.

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)
You could at least bring up some real issues. The only ones I can think of are the phone as fob, rain running down back window into the trunk when trunk is open. Fred Lambert owning one. The fact that you will never want to drive a non-Tesla ever again. That's all I can think of for now.

1. I guess always driving a car with a an engine under the hood I would only open the frunk as often as I would the hood which is to say not once in the 3 months I have owned the car.

2. Never owned a car with more than 3 heated seat levels

3. Took me about 5 minutes to get used to the button at the top to open the door.

4. Haven't owned a car with a spare in this century.

My biggest winter complaint? No heated steering wheel. Best winter compliment? The heater works much faster and better than any ICE.

If OP is thinking of replacing his Toyota Camry hybrid with maybe a Model 3, I do hope he gets a chance to sit in and test drive the car and at least make a decision based on that. Moving up from a Camry to a Model 3 is a big financial jump. I know, as my husband did that last year with his Toyota Camry but to a Model S, and I went from an old fully loaded Toyota Avalon to my Model 3.

You can see making that kind of change if you have the funds but you want to say you'll not be bugged by differences in features and be happy in the end after spending much more (in the case of a Camry). For us we adapted to the changes, preferred many of them over our previous cars, have no regrets and really enjoy driving our Teslas and embracing the EV future. The freedom from gasoline feels great as does "filling up" at home. With a hybrid, OP knows some of that but the Model 3 will still be a big change for him. I'd have a hard time giving up the Model S and Model 3 great sized and high quality screens for one after owning these cars.

People hear all kinds of issues brought up in the press and on forums and if nothing else he asked his questions based on things he read giving us an opportunity as owners to give our feedback. Hope he's still reading the responses and gets that test drive and reports back.

I owned my Model S for 4 years and it is no more problematic than BMW or MBZ. My issues are all with the post sale service and the availability of parts. I am driving it with no right side mirror since my wife knocked it out on the garage side. An appointment to get an estimate is a month away and I am sure it takes another month to get a replacement ordered. Eventually any vehicle will need service. It is unacceptable to make owners wait months to get a repair. Who cares the heated seat has only three settings? I am more concern if my car is out of service for months because parts are not available.

Aside from OP potentially trolling, there are plenty of people for whom the Model 3 is simply NOT the right car in any way, shape, or form.

I have a good friend who recently purchased one (I was a big part of encouraging her) and she's too scared of it to drive it - the touchscreen interface is just too frightening and intimidating compared to the safety of all the knobs and buttons she was used to in her previous German cars. There are plenty of people who simply never transitioned to [naturally] using touchscreen UI. It's one thing when they fumble around with their phones or tablets but putting them in a Model 3, aside from being a subpar experience for them, might be simply too dangerous for the rest of us and they should probably stick to the vehicles they know.

Interesting, but part of the learning experience is you rarely need to touch the touch screen while driving.
Suggestion: Ride along and be the "driving instructor" and "touch screen operator" until she is comfortable with the setup. :)

Aside from OP potentially trolling, there are plenty of people for whom the Model 3 is simply NOT the right car in any way, shape, or form.

I have a good friend who recently purchased one (I was a big part of encouraging her) and she's too scared of it to drive it - the touchscreen interface is just too frightening and intimidating compared to the safety of all the knobs and buttons she was used to in her previous German cars. There are plenty of people who simply never transitioned to [naturally] using touchscreen UI. It's one thing when they fumble around with their phones or tablets but putting them in a Model 3, aside from being a subpar experience for them, might be simply too dangerous for the rest of us and they should probably stick to the vehicles they know.

Interesting. Is she going to keep it, I hope? Any car change can take a bit to get used to. ICE to Tesla just takes longer.
I hope you suggested Creep Mode on for her :)

My wife has not driven it alone yet, she's more nervous about dinging it than not knowing how to do something. But she worries about that some too. Personally, I don't like the new heater controls. Old ones were easier to see and operate while driving.

I worry about timid folks with AutoPilot, I think it works good but you need to stay on top of it and know where it's vulnerable.
I stay away from risky things like Summons and Auto Open/Close Garage door, not worth the risk of a glitch.

I also think people don't realize how many controls are at you finger tips. I keep meaning to count them out but I lose count there are so many. Here goes.

Left Wheel Left Click, Right Click, Left Hold, Right Hold, Click In, Click in Hold, Scroll Up, Scroll Down, Scroll Up Fast, Scroll Down Fast. Times 2. That's 20 Controls/Gestures right there. Now do Left Stem Down, Up, Double Down, Double Up, Button In, Button in Hold, Pull Stem, Push Stem. Times 2. That's 34 controls. And the controls are context sensitive. And sometimes they trigger bringing up the correct UI (like the Wiper Button, I always tap the wiper button to bring up Wiper UI). If you include the horn it's 35 controls on the wheel. And the controls are context sensitive (like Mirror adjust).

Also when clicking any button along the bottom of the screen I like to cup my fingers along the bottom of the screen to steady my hand and use my thumb to click. This steadies the hand and less likely to miss what you want. And you kind don't have to worry about missing in the Y direction when you do it this way. Probably should be some dimples on the that back of the screen to help know where you are without looking.

There are lot of hidden gestures on the screen that make it easier to operate. Like dragging the Apps Tool Bar button up automatically brings up the last app. Dragging the Music Up and down rather than Clicking. I find dragging easier than clicking.

I also try to have AutoPilot (again not for the timid yet IMHO) on in a known reliable situation if I do need to look at the screen for a moment. If I can't, I wait. Most complex things on the UI are not urgent.

There is a lot to the UI and I'm still learning and it will take time for anyone to get comfortable with it. She should know it's a lot for anyone to absorb and it's not her. I find overall it's pretty darn smooth to operate. And yeah the screen has a couple disadvantages but not many.

One other thing I did for common phone numbers is, I made unique entries in my contacts with only ONE phone number attached. Like I have one for my wife. Susie Mobile. Now when I say "Call Susie Mobile" it doesn't prompt for which phone number to click and it dials it right away without touching the screen. So much better.

Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited: