Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feel like an idiot...(assumed 240V adapter still included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a few people say this, and I don't see where it makes any sense at all. Sure, there are the default, boilerplate wordings in house buying contracts about attached fixtures, but there's no reason you wouldn't make a change to exclude that. If you want to keep it, just put in a sentence that says the Tesla charging connector mounted on the garage wall is not being sold with the house and will be removed when you leave.

I sold my house in March, and took the charger. All specified in the purchase contract, of course. I offered to sell it for a reasonable price, but the buyer wasn't interested..

I initially installed a 6-50 because the 14-50 was out of stock at the time. I then inherited a HPWC from someone who had an extra one. I just added a short cord and 6-50 plug to it and plugged it into the existing socket and bolted the HPWC to the wall above the outlet. It works fine and can provide 40A (max on the 50A breaker I installed) whereas the mobile connector maxed out at 32A.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer
There’s a good reason why EV’s come with a 110v charger.. it’s because that’s often all that will be available if you find yourself in a pinch. If it were 240v, that would be great for at home, but useless in an emergency.

I’m just thankful that they were kind enough to allow the included charger to accept higher voltages by simply purchasing an adapter. I don’t know of a single other EV manufacturer that gives you the option to charge at 240v without requiring the purchase of a completely different charger. I’m one of the many that have no intentions on buying the adapter though since I already have a Juicebox for my i3, so it only makes sense to me that this adapter not be included since it would never be used. The only place I can see any one adapter being useful is at home, since the outlet I have will rarely, if ever, be available elsewhere when needed.

Agreed. My thought when starting this thread was that I was talking about home charging. Where I live A LOT of people have Teslas and it's even a detail in home listings (Tesla Ready Garage). I have a TRG so I should have been more clear.

I picked up my MY yesterday. I was so excited when I arrived at Space 24 and saw my new car but was a little disappointed to see that it was only charged to 49%. I let it go feeling like it might be partly my error - I was supposed to pick up the car last week but my appointment was canceled due to a system wide outage in the Phoenix area. I was unable to get in later in the evening when the system came back up and was scheduled to leave town early the following day. I was just happy that they didn't bump me and give the car to the next person on the list so...

As soon as I got home I plugged in the car because I knew I wanted to use the car last night. Much to my surprise I only had a 110v plug in the bag?! I immediately called the sales department and they proceeded to tell me that I could purchase a 240v for $38. Really!! I just paid $54,000 and the $38 converter is extra.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I hadn't owned the M3. I don't remember paying extra for the 240v converter when I got the 3 but maybe I did. I still feel like an idiot driving back to Tesla this morning. Lesson learned.
I TOTALLY agree with you! I sold my Model 3 with all of the adaptors it came with. Never gave it a second thought. When we picked up our Model Y my husband immediately noticed the 240 V was missing. We were informed that we could purchase it from Tesla - but when I checked these were out of stock thru Tesla. Love my Model Y - still think all adaptors should be included.

Reactions: KC0514
I am awaiting my MY and knew the adapater didn't come with the car and pre-ordered a 14-50 for $35.
I do think delivering a car with 49% charge is ridiculous. I am going to ask my SA to make sure mine is charged prior to pickup. I think I will make up a story about having to drive 250 miles right away;)

I picked up my MY yesterday. I was so excited when I arrived at Space 24 and saw my new car but was a little disappointed to see that it was only charged to 49%. I let it go feeling like it might be partly my error - I was supposed to pick up the car last week but my appointment was canceled due to a system wide outage in the Phoenix area. I was unable to get in later in the evening when the system came back up and was scheduled to leave town early the following day. I was just happy that they didn't bump me and give the car to the next person on the list so...

As soon as I got home I plugged in the car because I knew I wanted to use the car last night. Much to my surprise I only had a 110v plug in the bag?! I immediately called the sales department and they proceeded to tell me that I could purchase a 240v for $38. Really!! I just paid $54,000 and the $38 converter is extra.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I hadn't owned the M3. I don't remember paying extra for the 240v converter when I got the 3 but maybe I did. I still feel like an idiot driving back to Tesla this morning. Lesson learned.

We picked up a M3 SR+ in Jun 2019 and were told that the 240v adapter was not included already. It was no surprise that the MY didnt have that. We have the wall connector to charge anyhow.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KC0514
I was not happy that someone at the SC told me the day before I picked up my MY that the adaptor to plug into the NEMA 14-50 was included. I asked again the following day and got the same response. Of course, no such adaptor was in the trunk when I got home and looked. Fortunately they had one on hand I could buy/pick up at the SC. So it’s worth a call to check if they have one in stock if anyone needs one same day. I agree it’s very strange it’s not included.

The Universal Mobile Connector is quyite a bit cheaper.

You can get a federal tax credit when installing EV charging, my guess is the UMC doesn't qualify. Could make the difference for some people?

- About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

I have personally been using UMC with an old dryer outlet (10-30), just have to remember to grab it when going out of town... Also, I rent. If I owned my house I would most likely install a permanent charging solution.

Mine was at about the same charge rate when I picked it up in Scottsdale last week. Considering I had a 200 mile drive home to Kingman, I familiarized myself with how the super chargers work in Wickenberg. For those who haven’t used a super charger, they’re set up very well. You back in, plug in and it starts charging immediately. The car is linked to your account and bills the appropriate card automatically. There is no card reader at the super charger. Considering these stations are usually unmanned, the card swipes would be targeted by card sniffer equipment.

You’re going to get tired of dragging that mobile charger in and out. I’m in the process of putting a wall charger in with my electrician. No need to stretch cords and pack them in and out. Just back in, plug in and be done. A plugged in car is a happy car. That 110 mobile charger is painfully slow. Expect 2-4 miles per hour. The wall charger should be in the 30’s.

I haven't put the mobile charger in the car in a couple months. I bought the cradle and cable hook ( Cable Organizer ) and now it just hangs there on the side of the garage. Yeah, for a couple small pieces of plastic, it's expensive, but works well. And I just lift the connector off the hook and the one loop of cable that's now free gets me to the charging port on the car. I do keep the 5-15 plug and j-1772 in the case in the car.

I don't see much of any reason to buy the wall connector. Unless your daily driving demands are pretty much a full charge. At 32A from the mobile connector I can go from very low to near the top over night. Certainly there is no problem charging with my normal daily usage. And dealing with the cable isn't any with the wall charger than the plug setup.

If the pandemic ever goes away and I go on a trip, then I'll unplug from the wall, coil it up and put it in the bag. I suppose if I go on enough frequent trips, I could see springing for a second mobile, but not likely. That would, in my mind, be a better and cheaper choice.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You can get a federal tax credit when installing EV charging, my guess is the UMC doesn't qualify. Could make the difference for some people?

- About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

I have personally been using UMC with an old dryer outlet (10-30), just have to remember to grab it when going out of town... Also, I rent. If I owned my house I would most likely install a permanent charging solution.
You can take the credit for installing whatever infrastructure is needed for charging. We got the tax credit when installing three 14-50 outlets about 5 years ago. We claimed it again when we upgraded and installed wall connectors a couple years back.

Reactions: house9 and Rocky_H

You only get 30%. So everything else being equal, The wall charger final cost would still be around $100 more.

Another note. Time may be of the essence here. This was an extension that ends in 2020. AFAIK it has not be extended. They often do last minute extensions, but if you want to play it safe, best to get this done soon.

Reactions: house9