Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally bought a tow bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I actually got it from a thrift store, with a ball and a pin for about $5

I took the cover off (nice warm day so nothing broke) and offered it up. It fitted perfectly, but I have to say if you grab hold of it and push/pull it back and forth, there's a little play in it. I guess when driving there's a fair amount of clunking to put up with

Doh! I meant tow hitch not tow bar

I actually got it from a thrift store, with a ball and a pin for about $5

I took the cover off (nice warm day so nothing broke) and offered it up. It fitted perfectly, but I have to say if you grab hold of it and push/pull it back and forth, there's a little play in it. I guess when driving there's a fair amount of clunking to put up with

Doh! I meant tow hitch not tow bar
Probably not a good idea to attach a $5 hitch to a $60K vehicle. Especially if there is a lot of play when inserted into the receiver.

A new hitch with ball is what, $30-40? Don’t mess around with towing components.

Probably not a good idea to attach a $5 hitch to a $60K vehicle

Your words of caution are well received

but . . .

it's this one ($26.88 from Walmart apparently)

thumbnail towhitch 1.jpg

thumbnail towhitch 2.jpg

...or just stick it on craigslist

I got the tow hitch when I ordered because I'm always going to Home Depot to get stuff and I figured I could maybe rent a trailer if necessary so the inside of the vehicle didn't get torn up

I can see me not ever using it though