Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tow bar question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

We're in the market for a 2020/2021 Model X long range Plus and are wondering if all Model X's in this range were sold with at least the tow bar and wiring in place from the factory? (I understand that the actual tow hitch that snaps into the tow bar may not have been sold with the Model X's and may have to be bought separately.).

For us having the OEM tow bar and wiring is an absolute requirement as we will be using this vehicle to tow our 3400 pound camper. We also require the 6+ seating capacity this vehicle offers in order to haul around family and extended family/friends. Finally we're looking specifically at the Long Range Plus as to my understanding, this was the largest battery configuration ever sold for the Model X and we'd like to maximize our towing range, knowing that our towing range may be a third to half of actual stated range.

Basically the question is if I buy a model X Long Range Plus that is not listed as having a tow hitch, is it actually the case that the only thing missing is the snap-in hitch adapter and not the actual tow bar / wiring harness which is concealed under the underbody of the vehicle? (Knowing that I can buy the snap-in hitch adapter fairly easily of course.)

Many thanks!!!

Hi everyone,

We're in the market for a 2020/2021 Model X long range Plus and are wondering if all Model X's in this range were sold with at least the tow bar and wiring in place from the factory? (I understand that the actual tow hitch that snaps into the tow bar may not have been sold with the Model X's and may have to be bought separately.).

For us having the OEM tow bar and wiring is an absolute requirement as we will be using this vehicle to tow our 3400 pound camper. We also require the 6+ seating capacity this vehicle offers in order to haul around family and extended family/friends. Finally we're looking specifically at the Long Range Plus as to my understanding, this was the largest battery configuration ever sold for the Model X and we'd like to maximize our towing range, knowing that our towing range may be a third to half of actual stated range.

Basically the question is if I buy a model X Long Range Plus that is not listed as having a tow hitch, is it actually the case that the only thing missing is the snap-in hitch adapter and not the actual tow bar / wiring harness which is concealed under the underbody of the vehicle? (Knowing that I can buy the snap-in hitch adapter fairly easily of course.)

Many thanks!!!
The towing package is standard equipment

Thanks. Does that also apply to the 7-pin trailer electrical connector?
Yes. The towing package was optional on early Model X, but sometime in 2017 the towing package became standard. Now that does not mean the hitch receiver comes on your specific vehicle. Some folks tend to lose them. So it is worth asking the seller specifically, if he has it. It comes in a special soft case, usually in the trunk somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weighit and Araman0
Thanks. If the seller has lost their hitch receiver, is it an easy replacement to buy from Tesla? Or are they “keyed” to match the bult-in tow bar?
The key and its lock are part of the receiver. So if you buy a new receiver, you should get new lock and key. But I don't know how readily available they are, I've never lost mine.

Reactions: Araman0