Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got HW 4.0 but NO FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if anybody (ie employees) are testing FSD beta for HW4? Does the software even exist yet for HW4? Any inside info on when to expect it?
Many people have FSD Beta 11.4.x and HW4. There are probably several dozen of them on the forum. You just had to have bought one of the first HW4 cars sold before the factory installed software passed 23.7.x.

Reactions: vanca
I have a 2020 Y and have been on the beta program for a long time. 95% of my FSD drives are 100% no intervention since I've received 2023.7.20 Beta 11.4.4.
Taking advantage of the FSD transfer program and should get my 2023 Y in the next week or two. Wondering if they will transfer that version to new car which I believe supports HW4.
Anyone thoughts?

I have a 2020 Y and have been on the beta program for a long time. 95% of my FSD drives are 100% no intervention since I've received 2023.7.20 Beta 11.4.4.
Taking advantage of the FSD transfer program and should get my 2023 Y in the next week or two. Wondering if they will transfer that version to new car which I believe supports HW4.
Anyone thoughts?
You’ll be waiting until they have something stable enough for your HW4 Y. I’m thinking about doing the same thing as you (but trading in a 2022 for a 23). I did the stupid safety score thing twice now, which is now gone, but now you’ll just have to wait until who know when FSDb is available for your car. Kinda sucks.

Anyone thoughts?
I'm on an early 2020 Y (VIN 15k) so it was a fairly easy decision to upgrade to 2023 Y with HW4 and FSD. Lots of Y enhancements in the last 3.5 years. Initiated the order last week and waiting for a delivery date but I'm in no hurry. I figure the later the delivery the greater chance I have to get FSD fairly soon after getting the car.

Anyone thoughts?
I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Red LR-AWD Model Y with the 20" induction wheels, 7 seats, and white interior. I have a 2018 MSM LR-AWD with FSD that I got by upgrading EAP (ordered with car) to FSD for $2000 when they offered it. I'm also in the early FSD-Beta program via "the button" and safety score stuff a while back. Model 3 is on 2023.7.20 as of now and I was wondering this same thing. Sadly, I think they will remove the early access stuff and just provide whatever the most updated public release of FSD is. Does anyone know if that includes city-streets as of now? I'm out of the loop in understanding the differences between the early access FSD vs public version.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but anyone know if there's a chance the $2000 performance upgrade 4.3s to 3.7s 0-60 might transfer as well?

I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Red LR-AWD Model Y with the 20" induction wheels, 7 seats, and white interior. I have a 2018 MSM LR-AWD with FSD that I got by upgrading EAP (ordered with car) to FSD for $2000 when they offered it. I'm also in the early FSD-Beta program via "the button" and safety score stuff a while back. Model 3 is on 2023.7.20 as of now and I was wondering this same thing. Sadly, I think they will remove the early access stuff and just provide whatever the most updated public release of FSD is. Does anyone know if that includes city-streets as of now? I'm out of the loop in understanding the differences between the early access FSD vs public version.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but anyone know if there's a chance the $2000 performance upgrade 4.3s to 3.7s 0-60 might transfer as well?
The AB doesn't transfer, no.

New cars are getting firmware higher than 2023.7.X, so if they have HW4, you will have to wait for FSD Beta. The timeline is unknown as the newest 11.4.6 are still in 2023.7.X build.

New cars are getting firmware higher than 2023.7.X, so if they have HW4, you will have to wait for FSD Beta. The timeline is unknown as the newest 11.4.6 are still in 2023.7.X build.
The only part of FSD Beta I think I will really miss was being able to go more than 5mph more than speed limit (or was it 10mph?) on city streets (suburbs). Highway navigate on autopilot is pretty much the same as FSD Beta, maybe other than having to confirm lane changes on NOAP - I don't know what the current state of things are on either stack. As far as actually using it for City-streets FSD, it rarely worked well anyways, so I can wait a bit longer (hopefully not too long) until they release a version that FSD Model Y can use and works well. What is AB?

The only part of FSD Beta I think I will really miss was being able to go more than 5mph more than speed limit (or was it 10mph?) on city streets (suburbs). Highway navigate on autopilot is pretty much the same as FSD Beta, maybe other than having to confirm lane changes on NOAP - I don't know what the current state of things are on either stack. As far as actually using it for City-streets FSD, it rarely worked well anyways, so I can wait a bit longer (hopefully not too long) until they release a version that FSD Model Y can use and works well. What is AB?
Acceleration Boost and it's 5 mph without Beta.

Reactions: GateFather

Maybe the delay in rolling out the next upgrade is so the FSD team can provide HW4 support to new cars. Seems reasonable since so many current FSD testers are now getting new HW4 cars.

Last edited:
11.4.6 also has some serious safety bugs. My car wants to launch out after a super far creep into traffic. Chuck Cook experienced the same.
Experienced this as well. Always have to be ready to disengage and hit the brakes. Mostly why I am OK losing the preview FSD Beta on the Model 3 when I transfer to the Model Y. Hearing Elon say on the last earnings call (one before most recent) that he rarely intervenes on FSD had me scratching my head big-time. Only thing I can think is that he's on many versions ahead that they won't release to public, even preview FSD-Beta people. Or that he's lying. Even the rate of acceleration after it slams on the brakes for a car turning into your lane 300 feet away then accelerates too slow to where cars behind will honk.

11.4.6 also has some serious safety bugs. My car wants to launch out after a super far creep into traffic. Chuck Cook experienced the same.
My car on 11.4.4 likes to stop and instead of creeping FSD just launches without looking. But the behavior isn't new since FSD has been doing this for awhile.
I always say on average the best creeping behavior for me is when there is NO Stop sign. FSD stops pretty close to the creep line and then moves forward slowly before proceeding. It's done in such a way that I feel reasonably confident it isn't going to just launch. Recently the town added a new Stop sign and FSD does a pretty bad job now. Before with no stop sign FSD worked really well at this T intersection.

If you have HW4 and higher than 23.7.x software you can't get FSD Beta as of now. HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4.x or higher to work and 23.20.x has FSD Beta 11.3.6. FSD Beta 10.3.x or lower is pre HW4 and doesn't work.

FSD Beta 11.3.6 is considered more stable and is the "general" FSD Beta release.

All HW4 with 23.7.7 or higher will have to wait until 11.4.x or higher is released in a newer software.
So is it better to delay updates if you have a HW4 vehicle to avoid moving to a newer branch?

Isn’t the acceleration boost from 4.8 to 4.2s? This is what I see in the app