Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have absolutely had it with m3p 20’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly recommend the apex 18x9.5 wheels. The ec7s are great, and I have no issues without hub centric spacers, on the street or track. Brake clearance is great. They are lighter and stronger than most other options. Simply a higher performance wheel than others at the price point. I run 235/40r18s due to tire availability and pricing.

L8d
That is an extremely small tire diameter and width especially for a 9.5” wide wheel. Not saying it doesn’t work well. It is just an unusual choice.

How much do those wheels weigh?

Reactions: Skavatar and Adam3
That is an extremely small tire diameter and width especially for a 9.5” wide wheel. Not saying it doesn’t work well. It is just an unusual choice.

How much do those wheels weigh?
18.4lbs!

IMG_5582.jpeg

-Danny

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and mpgxsvcd
That’s really good for that sized wheel.
The lightest p&p wheel out.

Are there so many that you're unable to swerve around or slow down before hitting them?
May seem like second nature to some of us who have driven lowered cars our entire lives. But keep in mind the majority of people come from SUV's or regular sedans with taller profile tires.

-Danny

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Are there so many that you're unable to swerve around or slow down before hitting them?
@S&B's M3 You didn't ask me, but on many roads 100% yes. You can't just swerve around a pothole when the whole road is a cratered mess, or when there's a huge lip across the whole road.

Not to mention highway potholes where the combination of speed and traffic and/or barriers might not give any safe option besides hitting the pothole.

And as much as I agree with paying focused attention while driving, realistically most of us have moments of distraction or tiredness or such and can't react safely in time for every big pothole out there. If you're not 100% aware of your surroundings in a given moment, better to just drive over the pothole than swerve and possibly hit someone.

I am on my. 12th pothole casualty. 4 in last two weeks. Anyone in here move down in size? Experience?
@brettinteriors Do it. Everything is better with some reasonable tire sidewall. I switched out our 2021 M3P wheels for forged 18x8.5" Titan 7 T-S5 in Satin Titanium. The ride, handling, tire cost, and of course tire + wheel reliability are all better with the smaller, lighter wheels and functional sidewall.

I've hit stuff hard enough to knock a suspension bolt loose without destroying any wheels or tires. (Yes the bolt was possibly undertorqued, but regardless the hit was HARD, and the bolt had gone thousands of miles without coming loose until that hit. The 18" wheels & tires survived just fine!)

18" is a snug fit over the M3P brakes, especially the annoying integrated parking brake in the rear. You will need to make it clear to sloppy tire techs where they can and can't put balancing weights, including emphasizing that you want to rotate wheels easily (I presume), so they need to take into account the rear parking brake for all four wheels. (Yes you'd think all of this would be automatic, a basic part of doing their job right, but in my experience you'd better point out all of this up front, or you're liable to have weights rubbing on your brakes.)

Sadly the base Model 3 OEM 18" wheels don't clear the M3P brakes (unless you're willing to shave off a few mm of brake housing - some have done it, but no thanks for me).

Here's a closeup pic of the 18x8.5" T-S5 wheel. Tire in this pic is 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport. Lug nuts are stock open ended with cheapo gray lug nut covers that match the wheel color pretty darn well.

Titan 7 T-S5 18x8.5 on 2021 M3P.jpg