Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have the 19s, thinking about the 21s. Recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking for the factory look of turbines so was thinking a replica set with the 21s. Having the stock 19s have been fine just not crazy about the look compared to the 21s. Don’t wanna go through tires every summer either, are they really that bad? (2014 P85)

If you’re looking for an OEM look but better style, consider the 20” Model X wheels as IMO they are the “Goldilocks” size for the MS offering more wheel than the 19s, more sidewall than the the 21s, wider stance that fills the wheel wells and can be found for a reasonable price. Tire options abound as well and with better wear profiles than the 21s.

Like you, I prefer the visual look of the 21”s over the 19”s and changed out from 19” to 21” turbines on a square setup and don’t have any regrets. There is some more steering effort and you can feel the weight increase. Noise levels…maybe a smidge louder. Ride quality…we have the air suspension and I’d say it is more pronounced on hard bumps otherwise is about the same.

There is an efficiency hit as there is more mass to turn. 20/30 Wh/mi more? You can look at offsetting that wheel weight gain with two-piece rotors.

Tire wear shouldn’t be any different provided you have a good alignment. That said, if you need more adjustment beyond the OEM eccentric books than you’ll need to look at the n2itive Toe and Camber arms. (Eliminate Inner Tire & Premature Half-Shaft Wear On Tesla X/S!)

AFCB2E0A-86DB-4F71-93F0-29738124F23D.jpeg

Reactions: Stayfly2407
I switched the other way on my previous 85D and had no regrets. I loved the look of the 21" turbines but after I took out two tires on a pothole decided to go to 19s. I felt the car rode more smoothly, and calculated a nearly 16% efficiency increase (unsure how much of this was due to the switch to Michelin Energy rubber though).

But the 21s do look great :cool:

Reactions: Stayfly2407
I'm looking to go the opposite way. I've had the factory grey turbine 21's since i got the car and I've been considering going to 19's for the smoother ride with the increased sidewall rubber. But rims are ****ing expensive and that's the only reason I've not done it. If mine were in better condition I'd offer to trade with you but I've got a bit of curb rash and scrapes on them from when i let my sister or mom drive.

For tire wear i can say for a fact the 21's wear like *sugar* but I'm 99% sure that is more from the shitty factory alignment than the tire size but i cant be sure. That's why I've done the N2itive and Truhart upgrades. Once i did that all 4 tires wear even and last insanely longer than they used to.

I'm looking to go the opposite way. I've had the factory grey turbine 21's since i got the car and I've been considering going to 19's for the smoother ride with the increased sidewall rubber. But rims are ****ing expensive and that's the only reason I've not done it. If mine were in better condition I'd offer to trade with you but I've got a bit of curb rash and scrapes on them from when i let my sister or mom drive.

For tire wear i can say for a fact the 21's wear like *sugar* but I'm 99% sure that is more from the shitty factory alignment than the tire size but i cant be sure. That's why I've done the N2itive and Truhart upgrades. Once i did that all 4 tires wear even and last insanely longer than they used to.
Hey I just got my car a month ago and It already has some curb rash on them. I’d be interested in trading though if you want to look into it. Letme know

I’m I. The same not too, I have the dark grey 19’s with curb rash on three wanting to go to 21’s. Just bought the car a couple weeks ago used.

Love the look of the 21s, so that is how I ordered the car. Looks even better in person particularly if you have someone with the stock 19s parked nearby. I live in Los Angeles so there are plenty of the new S’s around.
I wish there were better warnings when you get to close to a curb as I rashes both right wheels until I became accustomed to how wide this car is.
I think the 21s make the car look much sharper even if not as practical.