Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope we didn't hear it here....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, but I didn't give you my evaluation percentage of Elon Musk. So you must think my percentage is something like 10%... So if Musk dies and the share price falls 50% you'd be closer...

You really think if Musk dies tomorrow Tesla share price will go from $650 to $65?

That would be a fall to a market cap to $61B which is still 20% bigger than BMW and only a little way behind BMW and EDF combined. Why is that so stupid?

Elon had said that all his shares would be sold to fund his mars mission when the time was right (unless somehow he stops being completely insane .. which is unlikely) . So I doubt he's had any interest in selling the company as a whole, when he can just sell his shares to relinquish any money he needs. And as he owns less than 30% even if another automaker bought all the shares in one go, they still wouldn't own a controlling percentage.

Not sure what we are debating -- whether the VW Group could buy Tesla, Inc.(the original topic) or whether the current share price of TSLA is justifiable. That devolved further into speculation as to what would happen to the TSLA price were Elon to depart. All interesting topics but quite different ones.

Not sure what we are debating -- whether the VW Group could buy Tesla, Inc.(the original topic) or whether the current share price of TSLA is justifiable. That devolved further into speculation as to what would happen to the TSLA price were Elon to depart. All interesting topics but quite different ones.
The original topic just came from an off the cuff brief conversation I had with a current Bentley subcontractor but no problem if the thread weaves all over the place.

As I mentioned previously this was most likely pure conjecture on his part, he specifically sought me out after asking if the Tesla driver was on site (but thereafter wanting to 'boast' about VAG acquisition & related battery tech. Maybe something else is happening at a less dramatic level, who knows)

Reactions: KennethS
If from a knowledgeable source, as is potentially the case here, rumours such as this quite often have some substance that started them, even if the rumour has evolved over time/iteration into something quite different from the original facts. No smoke without fire etc. even if the smoke originated from a discarded cigarette butt and has now been stubbed out.

The point was how much more is Teslas market cap with Musk compared to without. Any acquisition that resulted in Musk leaving, and lets face it, he wouldn't stick around if Tesla was acquired, would need to accept they were paying that premium which I'd argue is one of the reasons nobody will buy them.

If you don't think the market cap would fall significantly without him then he may as well jack it in and focus on building rockets. Bitcoin, FSD, all those things get the attention because Musk says them, not because Tesla says them. The company is a bit of a basket case otherwise.

Reactions: Beady3647
That would never happen, a) Tesla might have a high stock value but no cash to speak of (still theoretically possible see AOL buying Warner Brothers) and b) the Government of Lower Saxony (the Federal State VW is based in) has a controlling share in VW. Toyota once tried to by VW but the Government blocked that right from the start.
Last I looked Tesla had a cash on hand position of about $20B. VAG cash on hand position $70B-$80B