Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just said €#@# it, and ordered an LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We used to have a Honda Civic Hybrid back in the day. We just got our Model 3 on Thursday. It is an amazing car. What has surprised me so far is how much like a car it feels. It took two miles to get used to one pedal driving. It took virtually no time to get used to the UI. It just feels like it should feel. And that got me thinking. Anybody who sees these things think they are like a spaceship. However, it is so intuitive that you just fall into the thing. It will be somewhat shocking/disappointing to get back into our other ICE car. Congratulations on ordering the 3.

Reactions: SMAlset
You drive a hybrid, and going full electric seems the next logical step. I test drove an AWD in Sarasota a couple of weeks ago. That sold me. I thought it would be longer, but I acquired the necessary funds more quickly than anticipated.

Reactions: Dr. J
Yeah yeah, I know. I’ll miss the tax credit. I could get lucky, albeit I think that is very unlikely. Projected delivery is 4-7 weeks. I look forward to moving from my Prius.
I turned in my 2012 Prius Advanced w/Adaptive Cruise a year ago Nov 6th. My Michelin Energy tires were useless in the snow (not a huge surprise) so I put on some Nokian WR-G3 which were fantastic but my mileage on battery dropped to 8 miles for 90 mins of charge. I'd driven Prius' since 2005. The LR-AWD is fantastic in snow. I did, however, put on Nokian Hakka R3s so that'll hurt mileage along with winter electric heat. But the car is 100% sure footed. Ah, Bama! No snow there. So many things I (we) could warn you about but probably first and foremost, put the car in chill mode, look it up. You can get a M3 Owners manual as a PDF for your desktop or tablet. I wouldn't advise reading an owners manual on your phone. The acceleration will throw you so chill mode helps moderate it. With the Prius you're used to fairly hard acceleration from a light or stop sign. Ask whoever delivers your car and sets up your phone to put it in chill mode and watch him/her do it. The web based controls will also throw you. READ THE MANUAL three times. The Michelin tires it comes with are fine tires. For where you are they'll be year round tires. In CT, not so much. Technically they are only 3 season tires. There are a good bunch of very helpful people on here, don't be shy about asking advice.

I also ordered an inventory M3 LR AWD located in Fremont too! Hoping to get delivery by EOY...
I undertand you worry for getting the $1,875 Tax rebate, but Q1 2020 is a very slow sale.

So Tesla will certainly lower the selling price like last year at the same time to compensate the Tax rebate loss.

However, if you get both a 2020 model and the Tax credit, this would be the best.

That's the thing, unlike Ford, GM, Chrysler, Tesla doesn't do model years. They do very periodic refreshes.None so far on model 3.

Yes and no.

Yes, they don’t change the features or appearance of the car at the start of a new model year like other manufacturers.

However, when you need to sell the car years from now having a 2020 will be a benefit to you. Remember most people are not educated on how Tesla builds cars, so they will simply look at a 2020 as being one model year newer than a 2019 without bothering to check the month of manufacture.

And, if you list the car on a website that filters by age, someone who is looking for a car that is 4 years or newer in 2024 will see your 2020 car show up in their search, but the 2019 car will not make the cutoff.

So while I agree that there is no actual difference between a car built in November with a 2019 date versus a car built in December with a 2020 date, the average consumer will think otherwise. So if you can get a 2020 car this year and still get the tax credit, why not?

I undertand you worry for getting the $1,875 Tax rebate, but Q1 2020 is a very slow sale.

So Tesla will certainly lower the selling price like last year at the same time to compensate the Tax rebate loss.

However, if you get both a 2020 model and the Tax credit, this would be the best.

Q1 sales of the Model 3 may slow anyway of the Model Ys start shipping in Q1 as rumored.

So if you can get a 2020 car this year and still get the tax credit, why not?
I get your point it is just wierd to talk tesla in terms of model year. It's a 2018 model you just manufactured in 2019. Yes, you'd be very hard pressed to get a car manufactured in 2018 at this point. You won't see a 2020 until late January at the earliest. On the riveted plate on the driver side it has month/yr of production. It will say, likely, Nov 2019. In January 2020, they will likely say December 2019. Actually, you won't see Jan 2020 stateside period. First of the quarter cars go overseas due to transit time. Stateside cars are produced maybe last 6 weeks of quarter. Anyone buying it or taking it in trade will look at the manufactured date. The driver can say whatever they want, the riveted plate will say the year it was manufactured.