Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I know I am used to an Escalade but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely don't switch to 22" for less road noise. Plus your Wh/mile will increase significantly.

The 20" tires on a model x run about 41 psi, versus 35 psi for an Escalade. A significant source of the road noise are the higher-pressure tires - they're like drumheads. This is probably why Tesla put sound-absorbing foam strips inside the tires. The same brand/model of tires on my Audi Q5 hybrid run 33 psi (curb weight 4400 lbs).

Also, a Tesla is quieter than an Escalade so the road noise is more noticeable.

I was told the the high tire pressures on the Model x we're because the vehicle weight is high. Escalade curb weight is 5500 - 5800 lbs, and a model x is about 5700 lbs. Based on this, I suspect that Tesla runs the tires at such high pressures to enhance electrical drive efficiency. This is a trick used on Priuses (recent owner).

My (silly) suggestion: drive on more newly-paved asphalt roads in your Tesla. They're heavenly.

Reactions: Rossy

I would say drive only on freshly paved, smooth roads.

Coming from a BMW X5 w./adaptive suspension, the TMX is tuned too firm for my taste on less than ideally maintained road surfaces for comfort. It's not a dealbreaker--and more compliant than a TMS w./Air suspension--but if you commute over rough roads it doesn't cuddle you the way the Caddy or the BMW would. I wish there would be a truly adjustable--similar to GM's Magneto-Hydro suspension between Sport and Comfort ride tuning.

I love the TMX--I got the standard 20" wheels on a P75D--but that is the only feature I miss from my old car. I'm sure this is less of an issue in CA but around here there are potholes aplenty...

I love my wife's new X but the ONLY complaint I have is the road noise which I feel was overlooked by the engineers in the design process, The Escalade is many things, not all great but the Cabin is completely silent due to special sealing around all the openings(a Cadillac trademark)
Yes! I think this would be worth photographing a Cadillac to take a look at the seals on the hatch/doors.
Volvo does a great job on this as well. I could hardly hear the engine/road on my XC60.

My last three cars have been Escalades, platinum. I traded my 2016 for the X. Have owned the X for two months and 4100 miles. The X (100D) is definitely quieter. On some roads, especially groved ones, the X seems louder because all you hear is the tires. I am especially amazed at how little wind noise that there is. At first I thought that the X was a little stiffer but after a couple of hundred miles the tires broke in and it is at least as good a ride. I keep my tires at the recommended pressures.

On a humorous note: a neighbor has a vet convertible. The other day as I was pulling into our subdivision he stopped and was waiting for me to pull up next to him. Jokingly he asked if I wanted to run. I told him NO. He said that I must be chicken. I told him wasn't that, it's just that I only go for titles and I really don't have space for is vet. We both had a laugh.