Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I like Nexen tires on my Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just posting this in case anyone else was wondering if they can or should use Nexen tires on their Model X.

I just ran Nexen N’fera RU5 for the last 50k miles and now I’m running Nexen Roadian GTX tires.

You get a little bit more road noise than the Conti’s but it doesn’t bother me at all as I usually have music or audiobooks playing.

I’m a highway driver for all my miles, and these tires held up very well.

The new Roadian tires even seem a little quieter than the N’fera tires.

They wore evenly, never gave me any issues and lasted a long time!

For a little more road noise and a third the price of Conti’s I’m very happy with my Nexen tires.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I’m just posting this in case anyone else was wondering if they can or should use Nexen tires on their Model X.

I just ran Nexen N’fera RU5 for the last 50k miles and now I’m running Nexen Roadian GTX tires.

You get a little bit more road noise than the Conti’s but it doesn’t bother me at all as I usually have music or audiobooks playing.

I’m a highway driver for all my miles, and these tires held up very well.

The new Roadian tires even seem a little quieter than the N’fera tires.

They wore evenly, never gave me any issues and lasted a long time!

For a little more road noise and a third the price of Conti’s I’m very happy with my Nexen tires.
How are the efficiency of these tires compared to the stock Continentals?

How are the efficiency of these tires compared to the stock Continentals?
I know that this post is over a year old but I can answer that as I just switched to NEXEN Roadian GTX tires on my 2022 Model X Plaid.
I don't find them to be more noisy.. They are quiet enough for my needs. Handling seems fine as well.

As far as efficiency goes, they do consume over 5% more than the Conti's. Maybe even close to 10% more.
I will take them to the track (drag strip) soon and see if the traction is worse compared to the Contis.
The reason I went with the Nexen Roadian GTX tires was because I was not happy with the tread life on the Conti's.. While the front ones still had about 4k - 5k miles left, the rear ones were worn more than the front and due to the extreme camber/toe on the factory alignment, they were worn completely on the inside. I did add shims to space out the camber arm and hope for a better wear pattern on the Nexens. The Nexens are 70k mile tires.. Let's see how they hold up. If I get 35k miles out of them, I'll be happy. Changed my Contis at 28500 miles.

I used stock sizes 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear. Nexen have identical load and speed rating as the Contis.

I know that this post is over a year old but I can answer that as I just switched to NEXEN Roadian GTX tires on my 2022 Model X Plaid.
I don't find them to be more noisy.. They are quiet enough for my needs. Handling seems fine as well.

As far as efficiency goes, they do consume over 5% more than the Conti's. Maybe even close to 10% more.
I will take them to the track (drag strip) soon and see if the traction is worse compared to the Contis.
The reason I went with the Nexen Roadian GTX tires was because I was not happy with the tread life on the Conti's.. While the front ones still had about 4k - 5k miles left, the rear ones were worn more than the front and due to the extreme camber/toe on the factory alignment, they were worn completely on the inside. I did add shims to space out the camber arm and hope for a better wear pattern on the Nexens. The Nexens are 70k mile tires.. Let's see how they hold up. If I get 35k miles out of them, I'll be happy. Changed my Contis at 28500 miles.

I used stock sizes 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear. Nexen have identical load and speed rating as the Contis.
Your main mistake? "...on the factory alignment." There is no factory alignment. You have to get that done after you take delivery. The difference it made for me, was huge, albeit not a Plaid.

Your main mistake? "...on the factory alignment." There is no factory alignment. You have to get that done after you take delivery. The difference it made for me, was huge, albeit not a Plaid.
They can't really align the camber as it's fixed. The only way to change the camber is shims/washers or aftermarket adjustable camber arms. The toe arms are adjustable but not the camber.

Last edited:
They can't really align the camber as it's fixed. The only way to change the camber is shims/washers or aftermarket adjustable camber arms. The toe arms are adjustable but not the camber.
That may be true. However if all the other adjustments are correct, it minimizes the negative effects of the fixed camber. I just replaced my original Contis with Hankook evo ion after 16,000 miles. I was surprised at how even the wear was on my rears. Especially since I always drive with suspension low. There is no doubt my OEMs could have made it to 40,000. I just wanted to try the Hankooks due to all the good reviews. So far, it has been a good decision.