Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I May Try to Delay Delivery of My MY. Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just don't fill in the details on the "next step" delivery page... mine has been asking for my address since the day the NY lock-down started 6+ weeks ago. if they eventually cancel my order, who cares at this point... I'll reorder when QC is back up to acceptable levels.

In the same hour I posted this thread I received an email from Tesla saying I've been assigned a VIN and the car is on it's way. 26-29MAY. Very weird. Anyway, I'm pretty concerned to read about recent quality control issues and my car must have been one of the first built since they reopened the factory. I'm going to write back and ask about a delay. Please keep advice coming you you have any. Many thanks...

I'm sure they will hold it or you can request a refund. Either way it's just $100 which is worth far less than getting a car with bad paint, panel gaps, or the myriad of other QC problems the first bunch of Model Y's have had. My time is worth something and making multiple trips to the service center that is 1.5hrs from home to get something fixed that shouldn't be an issue in the first place will cost me far more than $100.

I'm sure they will hold it or you can request a refund. Either way it's just $100 which is worth far less than getting a car with bad paint, panel gaps, or the myriad of other QC problems the first bunch of Model Y's have had. My time is worth something and making multiple trips to the service center that is 1.5hrs from home to get something fixed that shouldn't be an issue in the first place will cost me far more than $100.
You do realize early reservation holders put down $2,500 not $100? That is not to say the OP paid the higher amount or that it would change Tesla's response but would be helpful to know before responding.

You do realize early reservation holders put down $2,500 not $100? That is not to say the OP paid the higher amount or that it would change Tesla's response but would be helpful to know before responding.
I delayed my car when this whole $hit $how blew up. They assigned me a VIN and even tried to force me into delivery. I chatted with the powers that be in Las Vegas and they took care of it. Of course they are holding onto my $2500 but after reading all the QC issues, I have no prob waiting. Also, the initial AWD with 20” wheels doesn’t seem to meet the range advertised so at this point the longer i wait the better, plus you never know, they may throw some incentives at us in the future. I’m lucky in the respect that i was buying this car as a toy don’t really need it. Altho I’m out $1400 for wall charger and wiring...

I paid the full $2,500 but aronth5 above has summarized my feelings pretty well. On another note, I just exchanged emails with my Tesla guy and he's happy to give the VIN to someone else. I asked if I could wait till January 2021 to take delivery and he said that was fine too. Really? Yep - that's what he wrote. They would honor the price provided I did not change the configuration. So, I'm pretty pleased at that. Surprised, but please. I Don't really need the car until then so I'm going to wait. The current QC are an issue. Would be nice to have a 2021 model too.

Reactions: NY_Rob
I paid the full $2,500 but aronth5 above has summarized my feelings pretty well. On another note, I just exchanged emails with my Tesla guy and he's happy to give the VIN to someone else. I asked if I could wait till January 2021 to take delivery and he said that was fine too. Really? Yep - that's what he wrote. They would honor the price provided I did not change the configuration. So, I'm pretty pleased at that. Surprised, but please. I Don't really need the car until then so I'm going to wait. The current QC are an issue. Would be nice to have a 2021 model too.

Not a bad idea to wait until QC improves, but there is no such thing as a 2020 or 2021 model...

I have a $2500 deposit for my wife’s MY. Tesla sent me an email, asking me to complete the registration info, and I ignored it. I then received numerous phone calls and text messages asking me to fill it all out - I asked to push out delivery a few months and they were fine doing so. I’m now supposed to take delivery in June - but am not certain I will.

I found it odd and somewhat funny that Tesla was fantastic at communication and follow up when they really wanted me to take delivery of the MY, and they screwed me and were unresponsive when i was trying to buy a MX.

^^^^ profit margins, cancellations and frantic?

OP

With the million mile battery possibly coming out in a year along with the info that the cost of those batteries will go down substantially making Tesla vehicles comparable to gas I can see many pondering this question. I am pondering it and the Hyundai 45. We will see how the process goes but if it is take what you get I may cancel not defer. The shut down has done more for climate change than Tesla could have done in years but that appears not to be their mission.

life is so unpredictable & due to impermanence in nature I am willing to take delivery anytime. I won't be sitting idle without MY-hence, i will welcome MY and enjoy life when I have it.
The slow life has been so enjoyable and I certainly do not need a Y to enjoy that; it is great without. Thankful for what I have and not too worried about wants right now. Enjoy, hope they contact you soon, I have heard they r gr8.

Reactions: NY_Rob