Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need a 12VDC high-amperage source for my ham radio 2023 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I just traded in my 2017 MX. I had my ham radio connected to the trailer brake port under the carpet on the outside wall under the dash. It worked fine. I understand that Tesla no longer uses a 12VDC battery but now uses 16VDC (too high for my radio). Is this trailer-brake 12VDC outlet available on the 2023 MX?

The 12v battery is maintained by 16 volts.
Wow, looks like I should have done a search before entering my thoughts, as it looks like with the change in battery chemistry they have indeed increased charging voltage to a maximum of 16 VDC. I would review voltage input specs on any gear you were considering to install. If the gear can not handle it I would use a DC to DC convertor, but beware as they can induce noise on the DC power. Get one that is sell designed.

Reactions: Beta V
Upvote 0
I just traded in my 2017 MX. I had my ham radio connected to the trailer brake port under the carpet on the outside wall under the dash. It worked fine. I understand that Tesla no longer uses a 12VDC battery but now uses 16VDC (too high for my radio). Is this trailer-brake 12VDC outlet available on the 2023 MX?
Yes. The tail for the brake controller is available. But like everything else on the car it will be 16 volts. Some ham gear today has wide range input power, like 8 - 21 volts. But you may need to drop it back with a converter. The biggest challenge for me is where to mount the thing. I thought about sacrificing the cell phone charger deck, I never use it. But then I remember that is the deck for the key card too. For the antenna, I can drill through the spline above the rear hatch. But rig placement is tricky.

Upvote 0
I plan to mount the antenna on the frunk lip. I didn't want to drill any holes and a mag mount
won't work for obvious reasons.
So, 16 VDC. Not cool. I'll look for a converter. The cigarette lighter outlet says it supports 12VDC @ 12-14 Amps. That might be enough as the radio draws about 10 A on the UHF frequencies.

Upvote 0
I plan to mount the antenna on the frunk lip. I didn't want to drill any holes and a mag mount
won't work for obvious reasons.
So, 16 VDC. Not cool. I'll look for a converter. The cigarette lighter outlet says it supports 12VDC @ 12-14 Amps. That might be enough as the radio draws about 10 A on the UHF frequencies.
I tried a lip mount on the rear hatch, but it worked quite poorly. The spline appliquè (looks like glass between the FWD) is plastic and can be easily drilled. You will need a long throw mount to secure it to the metal spline underneath. I found it quite difficult to get the hole exactly centered, so mine was off center a bit. But the antenna worked very well. I left the mount on the car when I traded it in. It had no impact on my trade-in. In fact, it never came up during the trade-in ceremony. I would do the same thing on my 2022, except I don’t know where up front, I could mount the control head.

My radio of choice is a Kenwood TM-V71A, because I already have one, but I have not come up with a method to mount it. Other radios might work better.

Upvote 0