Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I put 7k miles in 5-6 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I got the Tesla Model 3 delivered on Dec 31, 2018. And now 5-6 months later, I put so many miles on that damn car. I think mainly because I don't have to worry about gas.

Before that, I was driving a BMW M3, but I didn't like it too much and it wasn't comfortable getting around in. And it was very bad on gas, requires 16 gallons for a full tank, and gets like 10-15 MPG. And that car only had like 35-36k miles on it after it was sold, got it around Dec 2012 and sold it around Jan-Feb of 2019, so it stuck around for 6 years. The low miles probably b/c I still had an old Lexus GS (my high school / college car) I still used to put miles on (till my sister crashed it).

But still, I'm amazed I was able to drive 7000 miles in only 5-6 months. Especially with gas prices going crazy in CA, $4 is like the cheapest you can get if your determined for cheap gas stations. Some places it's nearly $5. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with gas anymore.

I did question Tesla before, thinking there was going to be more bad than good, but with 300 mile range, I never have to worry about recharging. Some days, I decide to not recharge b/c I may have 80-70% left and feel there is no need to recharge yet. But I don't feel confined by gas prices on how far I wanna drive my Tesla. So say I wanna buy something on Craigslist, I don't need to worry about the gas money spent, now it's more like if its worth my time.

How much does gas have to cost for it to be cheaper to go electric, even for the most broke person? I felt these crazy gas prices should convince people to go electric, even for those who doubt

Well, I got the Tesla Model 3 delivered on Dec 31, 2018. And now 5-6 months later, I put so many miles on that damn car. I think mainly because I don't have to worry about gas.

Before that, I was driving a BMW M3, but I didn't like it too much and it wasn't comfortable getting around in. And it was very bad on gas, requires 16 gallons for a full tank, and gets like 10-15 MPG. And that car only had like 35-36k miles on it after it was sold, got it around Dec 2012 and sold it around Jan-Feb of 2019, so it stuck around for 6 years. The low miles probably b/c I still had an old Lexus GS (my high school / college car) I still used to put miles on (till my sister crashed it).

But still, I'm amazed I was able to drive 7000 miles in only 5-6 months. Especially with gas prices going crazy in CA, $4 is like the cheapest you can get if your determined for cheap gas stations. Some places it's nearly $5. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with gas anymore.

I did question Tesla before, thinking there was going to be more bad than good, but with 300 mile range, I never have to worry about recharging. Some days, I decide to not recharge b/c I may have 80-70% left and feel there is no need to recharge yet. But I don't feel confined by gas prices on how far I wanna drive my Tesla. So say I wanna buy something on Craigslist, I don't need to worry about the gas money spent, now it's more like if its worth my time.

How much does gas have to cost for it to be cheaper to go electric, even for the most broke person? I felt these crazy gas prices should convince people to go electric, even for those who doubt

CA is different than the rest of the country.
Here in WI at the nearest Costco regular is $2.65. Come winter the efficiency hit on EVs is so bad that in January I am pretty sure my P85 cost as much to drive as my 2005 Sierra would have. Granted that is just a few deep winter months that efficiency dives hard but it eats into savings.
I don't stress over it I drive the car because I enjoy it. I don't need to rationalize and find a way to look down on other folks because they chose a different car.

Besides if people are of limited financial means the initial buy-in on a good EV in order to save money long term is out of their reach.

• Love
Reactions: Whitehawk
I agree with you largely, although currently the deterrent is the high upfront cost of going electric (also, gas is a lot less than CA in many parts of the country - here in DC it can be had for $2.80 if you're lucky - and I'm sure it is less outside of city limits). If you want a car that has the ability to be used on road trips, Tesla is still almost the only option. In some situations a Bolt might work (but is not significantly less than a Tesla, if at all) but it a pretty small vehicle in the scheme of typical American purchases. With a true SUV-sized vehicle still over $80k new, that's out of reach for most buyers.

Once the Model Y hits the market and other, more affordable options hit the crossover/SUV space, I think you'll see a much greater uptake in the US. Additionally, as S, X and 3s depreciate, EVs will become affordable for a wider range of buyers. I am trying to convince a friend that her next car should be a used S. She has a Subaru Forrester and wants something of a similar size or larger. AWD is a must. The Y is perfect for her but she's not going to drop $50k when you can pick up at $25k ICE that meets her needs just as well. And that's even considering she has a utility plan that would give her unlimited off peak charging for $30 per month. However, there is probably a case that can be made that an AWD S is big enough and the $30k range is probably justifiable with the fuel and maintenance savings.

If you're purchasing a premium vehicle anyway, then I agree that the case is airtight, particularly if a Model 3 works for your needs. But that's not the case for most folks who will weigh upfront affordability very heavily.

CA is different than the rest of the country.
Here in WI at the nearest Costco regular is $2.65. Come winter the efficiency hit on EVs is so bad that in January I am pretty sure my P85 cost as much to drive as my 2005 Sierra would have. Granted that is just a few deep winter months that efficiency dives hard but it eats into savings.

My power is 13c / kwh. For gas to be nearly the same cost, the car would have to use up 3 to 4x more power, that simply isn't possible. Are you running the cabin heater or something?

Picked up my S on 12/31 and it had 900 on the odometer. Right now it has 10,136. Definitely much more fun to drive than the minivan it replaced. As far as cost I have tracked my other vehicles using fuelly to get a breakdown of what the cost per mile is. Using my Lifetime trip counter I'm averaging 347Wh/m (granted I picked up the car in the winter so haven't really had a full summer to drive that average down). My minivan prior averaged 14.7 cents a mile. For my electric, after all fees and taxes are factored in, it comes out to 22cents/kW along with my 347Wh average it comes out to 7.6cents a mile. Quite a difference.

One huge thing for me is FUSC. It has totally changed our travel. It is literally free to travel,m wear and tear, which is "supposed" to be very minimal (but I'm starting to get nervous as car going into shop for 3rd time in a week after being in for a week...).

Trips that are 8-12 hour drives are now considered as that time is worth the savings in a flight (typically $400-$600 for two people) as leave more $ for the destination and AutoPilot makes the drive much more relaxing.

The combination of mild weather, sky high gas prices and dirt cheap off peak electricity makes EV’s a no brainer in Southern California. But we don’t need any more people here so please stay where you are.

There's another EV-friendly coast with similar, but MUCH cheaper cost of living than CA, we like to call it the 'right' coast !! Y'all are welcome here! :)

That is great! I but 15K miles on my car within 6 months! This car is too fun to drive!

Its too bad that the USA subsidizes BIG OIL vs other countries. Heck we even go to War in order to keep prices at record low rate compared to the rest of the world.

Its a GREAT thing that TESLA is an American Company! The cars are truly a game changer! All cars should be as smart and as fun!

It kinda like having a Supermodel, Ivy League education and Great Muscles all in one HOT babe! Starting at $35,400 USD!