Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I received my proposal summary today (central Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need more solar. The solar was sized for the house and my budget 6 years ago. It does not generate enough to cover charging two EVs.

With recent Powerwall software on Time Based Control, they don't charge to full until the weekend because it is trying to save money by earning Part-Peak NEM credits M-F. On the weekend they charge to full because most of the day is Off-Peak. If I used more energy during the Peak period, the behavior would be different.

Does your PW discharge during off-peak times? I pay much less for power starting at 9PM, and my rate goes back up again at 6AM, so I'm wondering if my PW will "save" its power and not discharge during this period, if I program it correctly for time-based control.

Does your PW discharge during off-peak times? I pay much less for power starting at 9PM, and my rate goes back up again at 6AM, so I'm wondering if my PW will "save" its power and not discharge during this period, if I program it correctly for time-based control.
My system does not discharge during Off-Peak at all. Some people have had trouble with this though. I don't know what is different about their system that allows Off-Peak discharge.

My system does not discharge during Off-Peak at all. Some people have had trouble with this though. I don't know what is different about their system that allows Off-Peak discharge.
According to the Tesla's updated Time-based Control page, it may discharge during off-peak if it thinks it needs room to storage excess solar energy for the upcoming day. It certainly happens to my PW.

Powerwall Time-Based Control | Tesla Support

According to the Tesla's updated Time-based Control page, it may discharge during off-peak if it thinks it needs room to storage excess solar energy for the upcoming day. It certainly happens to my PW.

I have 27kWh of battery and 4.3kW (5 to 25kWh/day) of solar. Certainly if your solar ratio is higher, the behavior could be very different. It probably also depends a lot on whether you have Off-Peak generation or not. My weekday generation is all Part-Peak or Peak, so that also affects the Powerwall behavior.

I have 27kWh of battery and 4.3kW (5 to 25kWh/day) of solar. Certainly if your solar ratio is higher, the behavior could be very different. It probably also depends a lot on whether you have Off-Peak generation or not. My weekday generation is all Part-Peak or Peak, so that also affects the Powerwall behavior.
I have 9.24 kW solar and 2 PW. Whether it will discharge during off-peak depends on my PW's SoC. e.g. last night, SoC is 20% (10% reserved). It didn't discharge off-peak. Only started to discharge when it was peak. I have no morning shoulder. Last Fri, SoC is 77%. It discharged during off-peak, about 2 hours before peak started.

I wonder why they rewrote that page. I can say it is definitely wrong in one way: my Powerwalls charge from all solar, not excess solar, during off-peak. I'm in cost-savings mode.

I have 9.24 kW solar and 2 PW. Whether it will discharge during off-peak depends on my PW's SoC. e.g. last night, SoC is 20% (10% reserved). It didn't discharge off-peak. Only started to discharge when it was peak. I have no morning shoulder. Last Fri, SoC is 77%. It discharged during off-peak, about 2 hours before peak started.
My system also starts discharging early at higher SOC, before Peak starts. However, in my case, that is a shoulder period which earns me significantly more money in NEM credits than Off-Peak. I have written about this in other threads. This is new behavior that started this winter and I first noticed it in the Spring. Last Summer in TBC-Balanced, it would never start discharging until the Peak period started. Instead it would just charge to full and then to to Standby until Peak started. It does save me a little more money by earning additional Part Peak NEM credits late in the week and replacing that energy with Off-Peak generation on Sat/Sun. In good weather, that is clearly the right strategy, but today the weather is bad and I would rather save the energy for backup, so I raised the Reserve to prevent discharge while the solar is generating. I will drop the Reserve again when the sun goes down so I can ride out the Peak period without grid consumption.

40914917923_0f4ddef460_b.jpg

They made it my choice but I don't know enough to pick the optimizers over more simplicity
for a 3% gain. This isn't something that I have been investigating for a long time, hence my
sharing my story so that those with more technical knowledge may share their viewpoint.
This is late, but remember, you're going to lose 5%+ just on gathering dust, especially over summer; about 0.4% per year on natural panel degradation; 66%+ when it's cloudy; 0.6% for ambient temperatures higher than nominal (about 25C). It's going to be up there for warranty years of 25? years.

My take is every bit of extra margin you can put up there now is tolerance that will absorb all of these problems later.

Reactions: hodad66