Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I received my proposal summary today (central Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Granted, I haven't gotten my PTO yet but this doesn't seem right. This morning we
had a momentary outage which registered on my UPSs. What the system does is
turn off the inverter and no power is coming from the solar or the batteries. The batteries
were at 24% and the solar was producing 1.3 KW. First I noticed my UPS on the
computer had come on so I went to the app just in time to see the solar & powerwalls
disappear from the power flow. After 5 minutes (inverter restart) the system is producing
power once more.

Maybe I'm not doing it right?

67076467_10161999654720082_8314019106856632320_n.jpg

I am switching off the breaker marked "main" and when I do I lose both the inverter & the powerwalls.
Which leads to me pulling energy from the grid.

This test I did with the Powerwalls at 65% and solar producing 4.8kw.

I don't know where your loads are connected, but there's a good chance that by throwing the breaker labeled "Main" that you are cutting off the solar and battery from all your loads. If you want to simulate an outage, turn off the main breaker closest to your utility meter.

• Helpful
Reactions: hodad66
I don't know where your loads are connected, but there's a good chance that by throwing the breaker labeled "Main" that you are cutting off the solar and battery from all your loads. If you want to simulate an outage, turn off the main breaker closest to your utility meter.

That would be the breaker inside the Gateway? I tried the main breaker in what used to be the
main box and that removed all of the loads. The only other is the one inside the Gateway.

Got the answer Yes.. the breaker INSIDE the gateway!!

The battery is powering the house & the AC compressor switched on without issue.

:cool:

Last edited:
That would be the breaker inside the Gateway? I tried the main breaker in what used to be the
main box and that removed all of the loads. The only other is the one inside the Gateway.
My gateway does not have any breaker installed in that cutout window, so I don't know what that one does. Didn't the installers test the Backup mode?
You really need to figure out the power flow in your installation. There are different ways to install the Powerwall system. In my installation, the main panel is still the main panel and all the breakers therein are not backed up. However, I have heard of other installs where they re-routed the main breaker to the Gateway and then the original main panel breakers are backed up. This is one way to install a whole house backup system.

There is really no way for us to figure it out for you unless you post pictures of all your electrical boxes with the covers on and off.

Reactions: hodad66
My gateway does not have any breaker installed in that cutout window, so I don't know what that one does. Didn't the installers test the Backup mode?
You really need to figure out the power flow in your installation. There are different ways to install the Powerwall system. In my installation, the main panel is still the main panel and all the breakers therein are not backed up. However, I have heard of other installs where they re-routed the main breaker to the Gateway and then the original main panel breakers are backed up. This is one way to install a whole house backup system.

There is really no way for us to figure it out for you unless you post pictures of all your electrical boxes with the covers on and off.

That is what they did and your hint at being closest to the meter helped. They ran
out of the meter to the back of the Gateway & installed a 150 breaker. We did a 27 minute
off grid test but I became paranoid that my AC compressor might not have tried to kick in
during that 27 minutes.

48363851522_945484572b_c.jpg

I got this email yesterday... so far so good.

The odd thing is that I asked the installers how I could tell when the meter was changed out?
The answer was that the new meter would be sealed with green tags.
A week or more ago I found that the tags on the meter had changed to
green tags. To me, it looks like the paperwork is trying to catch up with
what has already been done.......... :D

48363851522_945484572b_c.jpg

I got this email yesterday... so far so good.

The odd thing is that I asked the installers how I could tell when the meter was changed out?
The answer was that the new meter would be sealed with green tags.
A week or more ago I found that the tags on the meter had changed to
green tags. To me, it looks like the paperwork is trying to catch up with
what has already been done.......... :D
Take pictures of your meter
I had a non-racheting meter prior to my new meter. It spun quite merrily __backwards__ counting down, and i ended up "gifting" a lot of kWh to the grid.

Just saw this thread, congrats on the solar hodad66.

I had solar on my house in IL, but we live in Palm Beach County, FL now and are looking at a solar/powerwall setup. Are you on a standard rate plan or a TOU (time of use) plan?

I am waiting for my Tesla quote and callback this week and I am trying to find out if you, or anybody else, knows whether FPL will allow a TOU plan with a solar system (NetMetering). I researched FPL's website and could only find basic info on TOU. An FPL rep in the NetMetering dept said they don't allow TOU with NetMetering, but she wasn't sure when I first asked and to be honest she didn't seem confident in her answer even after she "talked to someone about it".

Anybody with FPL and solar in FL know the answer?

I had solar on my house in IL, but we live in Palm Beach County, FL now and are looking at a solar/powerwall setup. Are you on a standard rate plan or a TOU (time of use) plan?

I am waiting for my Tesla quote and callback this week and I am trying to find out if you, or anybody else, knows whether FPL will allow a TOU plan with a solar system (NetMetering). I researched FPL's website and could only find basic info on TOU. An FPL rep in the NetMetering dept said they don't allow TOU with NetMetering, but she wasn't sure when I first asked and to be honest she didn't seem confident in her answer even after she "talked to someone about it".

@gnxs
I waited for Tesla powerwall and solar panels for a few years but am in area of Florida they didn’t service so went with other company to get 30% tax credit after hurricane Irma took parts of my roof so I needed new one.
I found company that was knowledgeable and fast. I’m on LCEC elec cooperative (lee county)
Text me at 301-251-6671 and I can give you contact name if you wish

I posted about this a few weeks back. The answer was that FPL does allow it and there are only like 10 customers that do this. I'm planning to switch after my install in September/October. I asked Tesla yesterday if they could do that with my install and they said I needed to request it after they finished.

Reactions: winfield100