Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw my 1st Rivian R1T in NYC yesterday..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I spotted the Rivian R1T in NYC yesterday as I was driving around doing some errands. it was the "Super Mario" blue color. :cool:

looked nice. unfortunately the ride height is so high I couldn't get a good look at the interior.

I am very interested in the Rivian R1S but I worry that I wont be able to charge (let alone "supercharge") as easily as my Model S, since Tesla has installed HPWC all over NYC and getting a charge is still problematic at times. I worry that 6.6 kW chargers that are kind of scarce will just not cut it.

of course, Tesla was quite considerate when they installed J1772 chargers along with the HPWC in most locations so it may be less of a problem than I'm making it out to be.

I spotted the Rivian R1T in NYC yesterday as I was driving around doing some errands. it was the "Super Mario" blue color. :cool:

looked nice. unfortunately the ride height is so high I couldn't get a good look at the interior.

I am very interested in the Rivian R1S but I worry that I wont be able to charge (let alone "supercharge") as easily as my Model S, since Tesla has installed HPWC all over NYC and getting a charge is still problematic at times. I worry that 6.6 kW chargers that are kind of scarce will just not cut it.

of course, Tesla was quite considerate when they installed J1772 chargers along with the HPWC in most locations so it may be less of a problem than I'm making it out to be.
Where are the pictures

I think one of Rivian biggest mistakes is not working with Tesla SuperCharger Network.
I'd suspect Jeff Besos of Sue Origin would not allow - Sad for Rivian.

Maybe the fact that Tesla is suing Rivian for IP theft and poaching employees is a reason they are not partnering with Tesla on the Supercharger Network.

The "I can't consider buying a BEV without access to the Supercharger Network" pearl clutching is a bit overblown.

Whenever I drive by an EA charging station they always have at least one 350kw station and two 150kW station. Half the time there is no one there and half the time there is 1 person charging. This is greater LA. In most of the country I bet it is empty 90% of the time. So you can charge even if 1 or 2 chargers are out of order.

Several SC stations in greater LA have a wait on a regular basis. Because there are so many more Teslas than other brands of BEVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando

The "I can't consider buying a BEV without access to the Supercharger Network" pearl clutching is a bit overblown.

Whenever I drive by an EA charging station they always have at least one 350kw station and two 150kW station. Half the time there is no one there and half the time there is 1 person charging. This is greater LA. In most of the country I bet it is empty 90% of the time. So you can charge even if 1 or 2 chargers are out of order.

Several SC stations in greater LA have a wait on a regular basis. Because there are so many more Teslas than other brands of BEVs.

Based on user reports part of the reason no one is at EA brand charger is that they are broken.

Maybe the fact that Tesla is suing Rivian for IP theft and poaching employees is a reason they are not partnering with Tesla on the Supercharger Network.

There was a video of Marques Brownlee trying an Audi vs. Mach-E vs Tesla road trip of 1000 miles. Half of EA stalls were out of order when the MachE was trying to charge. That might explain why we never seen anyone actuator charging in a defective stall.

Reactions: cusetownusa
There was a video of Marques Brownlee trying an Audi vs. Mach-E vs Tesla road trip of 1000 miles. Half of EA stalls were out of order when the MachE was trying to charge. That might explain why we never seen anyone actuator charging in a defective stall.

And the Mach-e charged at every EA station in the Brownlee 1000 mile test.. Here in LA there are usually 6-8 stalls per station.

Based on user reports part of the reason no one is at EA brand charger is that they are broken.

Over the course of 2020, Electrify America saw a substantial increase in customer activity and station utilization, whether measured by the number of sessions or kWh delivered. Between January and December, the number of monthly charging sessions rose more than 80% (from 11,580 to 20,936), and the number of charging sessions per open charger increased 48% (from 8.3 to 12.3). These gains were accomplished despite an approximately 60% reduction in utilization at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Electrify America expects that station utilization will continue to rise as the public health conditions improve.

Page 10

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...lectrifyAmericaNationalAnnualReportPublic.pdf

There is zero doubt when EA issues there 2021 report it will show significant increases in usage.

Interesting to know.
Rivian might has its prime time in California however not to do a road trip across USA on the east coast, yet.

Out of Spec Motoring has done many road trips across the USA using many EA stations.

Many times they do find problems. They are always able to charge.

As usage rates go up the ROI on fast repair on broken/out of order charges goes up.

• Informative
Out of Spec Motoring has done many road trips across the USA using many EA stations.

Many times they do find problems. They are always able to charge.

As usage rates go up the ROI on fast repair on broken/out of order charges goes up.
that was not the message thé by the Sandy Munro and MKBHD videos I saw about EA.
I would have to watch Out of Spec motoring to see their experience

• Helpful
For whatever it's worth, this is the data I have from looking at composite Plugscores for EA (recording the number of 0, 1, 2, and so on through 10 plugscores and averaging network-wide):

This is the raw-ish data, how much of the network by percent is at each plugscore, both as a percent of all chargers, and as a raw value:
unknown.png
unknown.png

This leads to the following averages, with the blue line being the average of all chargers, and the green being the average of chargers excluding those rated 0, which mostly means "not yet open/recently-open & not enough check-ins for a rating yet" though it can also mean "under extended overhaul due to issues". The red line is chargers rated 1, 2, 3, or 4 as a percentage of all chargers on the network with a rating above 0.

unknown.png

Speaking of Marques, it may have been him in the driver's seat when I had my sighting bc he did have his "test drive" on the day that I saw the R1T. of course most of the footage from the YouTube video is in NJ, and as I said above, I didn't get a good look at the interior.

fun times.. :cool:

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Speaking of Marques, it may have been him in the driver's seat when I had my sighting bc he did have his "test drive" on the day that I saw the R1T. of course most of the footage from the YouTube video is in NJ, and as I said above, I didn't get a good look at the interior.

fun times.. :cool:
Fun times tech reviewers are now the first to review EV pick up trucks. The world has been changing.

The R1T looks awesome and for $73k (minus rebate if it passes), while a lot of money, seems like an amazing truck for the price. Seems like they are providing a lot of value for the price and almost wonder if they will be able to make a profit off of it.

I have a model y on order but now debating of getting a R1T instead. Being a new company and no supercharger network does concern me though. But so many awesome features(power frunk, ton of storage, 3sec 0-60, nice interior and exterior look, air suspension, 2 display screens, etc)

Reactions: Merrill