Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw the phantom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BridgeMojo

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
Monrovia, CA
I was in my 2018 S 100D a few months ago, cruising from Paso Robles to I-5 on what's known as the "James Dean Memorial" highway.

There was a long stretch of straight road, cutting through the central valley heading east, no traffic in sight, and the car started braking.

I glanced at the visualization screen, and in the distance, near what would be the horizon in the visualization, there was a bright dot, with star-like diffraction spikes. It was floating in the air like something out of Close Encounters, dead ahead.

Of course it was only on the visualization screen. There was nothing to be seen with my eyes.

I have no idea what sort of optical or algorithmic glitch would generate that sort of thing, and I haven't seen it since. I remember it being a hazy day, so I wouldn't expect a sun-lens flare to cause it.

But it's fun to get to say "I saw the phantom!" :)

I was in my 2018 S 100D a few months ago, cruising from Paso Robles to I-5 on what's known as the "James Dean Memorial" highway.

There was a long stretch of straight road, cutting through the central valley heading east, no traffic in sight, and the car started braking.

I glanced at the visualization screen, and in the distance, near what would be the horizon in the visualization, there was a bright dot, with star-like diffraction spikes. It was floating in the air like something out of Close Encounters, dead ahead.

Of course it was only on the visualization screen. There was nothing to be seen with my eyes.

I have no idea what sort of optical or algorithmic glitch would generate that sort of thing, and I haven't seen it since. I remember it being a hazy day, so I wouldn't expect a sun-lens flare to cause it.

Très cool!

Something kinda like this?

1695407067770.jpeg

What color was it? Could it have been the indication for a yellow traffic light or something like that?