Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the kind caused by objects that are there like freeway signs got better but the kind of PB caused by things that aren't there (heat mirages) got much, much worse.
I use Autopilot for about 95% of my driving. I use it every day on my drive to work. It used to be perfect a few years ago but now it brakes everytime at a certain location on the highway. It is not an intersection, there is no overpass, it happens day or night, in any weather, there is not anything unusual about the road surface. The other issue is that now it brakes for emergency lights, which are cell phone towers. headlights of cars on the other side of the road, flashing lights on signs to let you know that there is an intersection ahead. If there are actual emergency lights it usually doesn't slow. I wish there was some way to turn it off. If there was just some way to go back to autopilot for 3 or 4 years ago I would do it.

I use Autopilot for about 95% of my driving. I use it every day on my drive to work. It used to be perfect a few years ago but now it brakes everytime at a certain location on the highway. It is not an intersection, there is no overpass, it happens day or night, in any weather, there is not anything unusual about the road surface. The other issue is that now it brakes for emergency lights, which are cell phone towers. headlights of cars on the other side of the road, flashing lights on signs to let you know that there is an intersection ahead. If there are actual emergency lights it usually doesn't slow. I wish there was some way to turn it off. If there was just some way to go back to autopilot for 3 or 4 years ago I would do it.
If it happens day or night, in the same location, it's a map issue, perhaps in concert with a GPS issue.

Reactions: JB47394
There is a place on our weekly commute on a newly constructed freeway where autopilot slows from 65 mph to something slower. I think it is a remnant of a location that required slowdown before the construction was finished. It would be good if Tesla could update these places. its been over two years since this freeway has been constructed.

Reactions: enemji
There is a place on our weekly commute on a newly constructed freeway where autopilot slows from 65 mph to something slower. I think it is a remnant of a location that required slowdown before the construction was finished. It would be good if Tesla could update these places. its been over two years since this freeway has been constructed.
I’ve a place where FSD wants to stop midway in the street. Used to have a traffic light there a few years back !

Reactions: enemji
I did my first road trip with my Model Y -- only 1000 miles round trip but I figure I used FSD 95% of the time on the highway. Lucky for me my dreaded fear of phantom braking never came to fruition. I had zero phantom braking incidents and had a great experience with FSD with only a couple of minor weird things. I loved the automatic lane changes and the driving was super smooth for the most part. It exceeded my expectations and since I only make one real road trip a year I get to savor the good experience for a while.

Since Tesla has removed the "Report" button, every time I get a phantom braking/phantom slowing event, I disconnect the system. When I get the "tell us what went wrong" prompt, I just narrate it with "Phantom braking."

I'm hoping that if we can get Tesla enough clips of this happening, they can figure out why.
... or.... maybe .... add radar back in.... if the car reads speed limit signs, radar verifiably doesnt show any object or other car in front of you (and works in rain, at night, fog) ... then the car shouldn't hit the brakes because of some hearsay of a traffic light once a long time ago having been there....

Reactions: beachmiles
... or.... maybe .... add radar back in.... if the car reads speed limit signs, radar verifiably doesnt show any object or other car in front of you (and works in rain, at night, fog) ... then the car shouldn't hit the brakes because of some hearsay of a traffic light once a long time ago having been there....
Maybe, but my radar-equipped and using Model 3 still exhibits PB to an amazingly annoying degree. PB was neither caused by radar, nor fixed by TV.

I rented a model Y from Hertz for a trip in Arizona two months ago and just used traffic aware cruise. On the trip from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Village the car would hit the brake every mile or so, daytime driving, nothing on the road, no car close. It got so bad I had to turn it off which is very annoying on a long road trip on a freeway. It would be better to just have the option for dumb cruise. Autopilot used to be good a few years back. I guess Tesla needs to dust off the version of Autopilot from 5 years ago and fire all of those engineers who spent all of that time and money to make things worse not better.

Reactions: beachmiles
The real solution for this and also for very difficult visibility is to depend on radar instead of cameras for evaluating exact distance to an object in front of you.
And ultrasonic sensors low on the the car are the only accurate way to see and avoid posts, parking space concrete blocks, and obstacles in a parking garage.

I am a retired very senior electronic engineer. I have told sales managers, service center managers and technical support that the radar modules and also the ultrasonic sensors should be restored and operational in all of the new vehicles. My previous car was a 2015 model S. Summons and parking assist worked perfectly. Avoidance of obstacles in a carport or a tight garage were never a problem. The autopilot never ever had a phantom braking issue as it did not have machine vision to determine whether there was a car or person a long way off in either very foggy weather or in mirage weather.
All Tesla employees told me that Tesla Corp refuses to reinstall and enable these. We need all customers to pressure them.

That's a new one for me. Even at the worst, never had PB in that situation. Had plenty on wide open roads on clear days, no other cars around.
I have experienced that defect MANY times. It is quite annoying to be slowed down to a crawl when the traffic is moving well. I told Tesla and they said to shut off autopilot and wait for another update. But none of the updates have fixed this.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I have experienced that defect MANY times. It is quite annoying to be slowed down to a crawl when the traffic is moving well. I told Tesla and they said to shut off autopilot and wait for another update. But none of the updates have fixed this.
Some believe the fix is in 4-D imaging radar (not the cheap kinds of Tesla radars):

Waymo, MobilEye... have been using 4-D imaging radars.

Reactions: DrChaos
Just had my 1st PB experience in my 2023 MYLR. Was driving at about 70 mph on a hwy with the fast lane blocked for construction with cones. I was in the #2 lane and had been in it for about a mile or two when the PB happened. My thought was the car confused the cones but they were not in my lane and it was pretty sudden. I have had issues with autosteer and now with cruise control, will probably not use those features again which is too bad.

Just had my 1st PB experience in my 2023 MYLR. Was driving at about 70 mph on a hwy with the fast lane blocked for construction with cones. I was in the #2 lane and had been in it for about a mile or two when the PB happened. My thought was the car confused the cones but they were not in my lane and it was pretty sudden. I have had issues with autosteer and now with cruise control, will probably not use those features again which is too bad.
I don’t use FSD when there are cones in the next lane for that reason. I worry that a cone will be out of place or the car will do what yours did. Someone above mentioned that the older cars with radar didn’t have PB as bad. They should put the radar back.

Please remember that this is a Level 2 driver assist feature. Use it for boring driving tasks. When near construction, cones, police traffic control, etc, disenge and drive manually. Once your back into boring driving tasks, reengage.

Were you using FSD or just TACC? @Teetoogrn and @Dewg assumed it was FSD. Your last sentence makes me think it was TACC - which matches my experience (I haven't paid for FSD). I've had PB on wide-open 4 lane highways and, like you, am now reluctant to use TACC. I wish the cruise control was as good as my 2018 Kia Niro PHEV but as @texas_star_TM3 says, you can't turn off TACC and make it plain ol' CC. Not sure why @finman100 gave me a thumbs-down when I said that earlier... but it really seems like they could do a software tweak to give us the option - and peace of mind.