Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I scratched my rear bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea how much would it cost to have this repaired?
It’s mostly a scratch where paint went off on the black round bit and the rest are tiny cracks I assume.

Or is there a DIY version of the repair?

It doesn’t have to be perfect, but I don’t want to see black basically.

This is a Tesla Model 3 SR in white UK

Attachments

• 2A6C275A-CE19-4237-AE67-449C7DE58CA2.jpeg
    2A6C275A-CE19-4237-AE67-449C7DE58CA2.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 448
Cheapest way is just touch-up paint. Tesla sells it, but you may find it cheaper from third parties.

You can also take it to a body shop and they can probably do body filler if necessary and spray the bumper, but obviously that will cost more. There may also be mobile repair services in your area (I know in US there are some).

• Helpful
Reactions: Sambub
Upvote 0
Cheapest way is just touch-up paint. Tesla sells it, but you may find it cheaper from third parties.

You can also take it to a body shop and they can probably do body filler if necessary and spray the bumper, but obviously that will cost more. There may also be mobile repair services in your area (I know in US there are some).
Do you have any cost ideas?
Just to get an idea what we’re talking about really.
I thought of DIY paint touch up. Just unsure about any prep work or how to deal with the tiny lines under the dot

Upvote 0
Do you have any cost ideas?
Just to get an idea what we’re talking about really.
I thought of DIY paint touch up. Just unsure about any prep work or how to deal with the tiny lines under the dot
It is $60 USD from Tesla here in US, but not sure the UK price:

You can see the video in the listing for how prep is done.

One set might not be enough for yours though.

I would look however if there are mobile paint/bumper repair services in your area, it might not be much more and they'll probably do a lot better job.

Upvote 0
Lol.
Doesn’t work if you want to trade in/
Sell your car for a model Y 😭
Stickers are available in white. ;)

Planning on trading in/selling the car soon? If so, I'd probably go the touch up route. Doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to not be eye-catching. If not and it's your daily driver, don't worry about it. I'd probably still do a touch up to make it not so obvious, but I try not to worry too much about paint defects on my daily drivers.

Upvote 0
Google for local "mobile bumper repair" or "paintless dent repair" (PDR shops often have their own PU bumper repair or know their local counterparts.)
A good job will cost twice what a cheap job might be, so expect a quote from $200 to $500.
Choose the shop with online photos of crisp work. Ignore "Billy Bob does great work. Fast and Cheap!" reviews. : )
Just the book by the cover. Well-presented, organized, professional … goes 100% to the quality of the work.
I've been in the mechanical service side of the auto industry for years. I've done countless customer cars. The results can be invisible.
Treat the car to proper detail inside and out, get the paint cleaned and sealed.
If the vehicle is going to be off the road for a day (typically 2-4 hours) consider using the time to get wheels refinished to remove curb rash.
The next time you see the car, the honeymoon starts afresh! : )

Reactions: DocHolliday
Upvote 0