TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I think I just saw a prototype for the redesigned Model S...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Vinc, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Vinc

Vinc Member

Maybe it has been a long day and I am just imagining things. Or maybe there is a matte black MS prototype driving around Los Angeles.

I was driving south on La Brea and Jefferson, not terribly far from Tesla's headquarters in Hawthorne, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a matte black Model S coming the opposite way. What caught my attention was the wrapping. It was very mismatched, with some panels glossier than others. At first I just thought "well, that is one sloppy wrapping job". But then something seemed odd about the shape of the car itself (can't pinpoint exactly what). By the time I looked again the car had already passed me and I could only catch it in the rearview mirror. And the rear lights were different from the usual Model S lights. They looked bigger. For an instant it crossed my mind that it might be some sort of new Mazda. But then I saw a Model 3 driving right behind it, also with black matte wrap.

So... that is the whole story. Sorry that I could not catch any more details or take any pictures, the entire adventure took about 5 seconds.

People in the LA area, maybe be in the lookout for a matte black Model S?

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Tesla Cam? Dashcam?

• Like x 1
  3. Vinc

Vinc Member

Totally forgot! I do have an IRO! Finishing something now but I will check ASAP.

• Like x 1
  4. Vinc

Vinc Member

Screengrabs below. I think it is... something. The front lights seem a tad bigger and rounder, and the back ones, although it is hard to see from the pics, also seem taller and sitting higher than the current ones.

Plus, I had not noticed, but the trailing Model 3 has some weird tape around the back door window. It seems to be keeping some sort of plastic in place that covers the glass.

Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.04.42.png Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.05.50.png Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.07.42.png

• Informative x 18
    • Like x 4
  5. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

Notice the different graphic of the daytime running lights on the larger car!

I can't help it, but the Model 3 seems quite high. Based on the proportions - could this be a Model Y prototype?

• Like x 8
  6. Vinc

Vinc Member

#6 Vinc, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Yes! I noticed the running lights. At first I thought it might be the sun reflecting weird. But after playing the video a few times it is clear that there is no sunlight hitting there. Also, I had never seen a darker chrome delete. The rims reflect no light whatsoever, they are absolutely impossible to tell apart from the rest of the wheel. SpaceX grade of matte paint. I will eat my hat if this is not a prototype.

About the other car, I think it is a regular 3. The proportions are a bit off because of the wide angle of the camera. But there is certainly something going on with the back door. Perhaps there is equipment there and they are covering the glass to hide.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

The 2nd one looks like the Y.

• Like x 6
  8. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Both cars looked a little tall to me, but then I noticed the wheels are not "round" -- partly because of the angle of the photo, but could also be some squeezing by the camera or processing. It would be interesting to overlay with Model S picture from the same angle and line up the wheels (assuming wheelbase doesn't change).

9. Jffurlan

Jffurlan Member

DBEDF19B-4276-4600-96C0-263A7CDCE66A.gif Best I could do, tried to keep wheels and headlights aligned.

• Like x 17
    • Informative x 2
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Looks like a matte Black pre facelift model s to me

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Tes La Ferrari

Thanks @Jffurlan. That’s a cool animation.

Could it be an x ?

• Like x 1
  12. mvotb

mvotb Member

Cool thought, but you probably should keep a hat around that is made out of chicken.

• Funny x 1
  13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

In fact you can see the white HOV sticker on the rear bumper
    Which is what the older model s’s received.

• Love x 1
  14. trayloader

trayloader Member

Can You show us moving images?

it´s definitely an "S" from the bullish looks in the back.

15. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Yea any chance you could post the dash cam video here or on Youtube? I assume it's short, but might provide some different perspectives.

16. Vinc

Vinc Member

Watching the video, the sticker could be purple, which is the current one. Good call in any case that Tesla would not go through the trouble of getting a sticker for a test mule. Unless it is part of the disguise...

I will try to just upload the snippet of the video when I have time. A model X it is not for sure.

Definitely there is no nosecone. Yes, it could have been removed with an upgrade fascia kit, but I did get a good look at the rear lights and for sure I had never seen those before. And as far as I know, there is no aftermarket replacement for them.

17. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Hey, Fred from elecktek picked up this story... How's funny
    My guess is this a modified classic S by the aftermarket company right there next to SpaceX

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

The daytime running lights are the big giveaway, that’s the older style DRL

A1E7C214-999A-4872-81EA-8769E2EC64A7.jpeg

As for the nose cone, it could have been wrapped in matte black as well to match the whole car

19. Vinc

Vinc Member

Oh! Wow! No pressure or anything... Funny thing is I had just finished this week's Electrek podcast right before it happened :)

20. Vinc

Vinc Member

#20 Vinc, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Video is here. First the MS, then the trailing M3. It is very quick, don't know if it will help much. I resized it a bit to focus on that side of the road.

Box

Maybe we should rename this thread "Is this your car?” :)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1