Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just saw a prototype for the redesigned Model S...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it has been a long day and I am just imagining things. Or maybe there is a matte black MS prototype driving around Los Angeles.

I was driving south on La Brea and Jefferson, not terribly far from Tesla's headquarters in Hawthorne, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a matte black Model S coming the opposite way. What caught my attention was the wrapping. It was very mismatched, with some panels glossier than others. At first I just thought "well, that is one sloppy wrapping job". But then something seemed odd about the shape of the car itself (can't pinpoint exactly what). By the time I looked again the car had already passed me and I could only catch it in the rearview mirror. And the rear lights were different from the usual Model S lights. They looked bigger. For an instant it crossed my mind that it might be some sort of new Mazda. But then I saw a Model 3 driving right behind it, also with black matte wrap.

So... that is the whole story. Sorry that I could not catch any more details or take any pictures, the entire adventure took about 5 seconds.

People in the LA area, maybe be in the lookout for a matte black Model S?

Screengrabs below. I think it is... something. The front lights seem a tad bigger and rounder, and the back ones, although it is hard to see from the pics, also seem taller and sitting higher than the current ones.

Plus, I had not noticed, but the trailing Model 3 has some weird tape around the back door window. It seems to be keeping some sort of plastic in place that covers the glass.

Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.04.42.png
Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.05.50.png
Screenshot 2019-06-14 23.07.42.png

Yes! I noticed the running lights. At first I thought it might be the sun reflecting weird. But after playing the video a few times it is clear that there is no sunlight hitting there. Also, I had never seen a darker chrome delete. The rims reflect no light whatsoever, they are absolutely impossible to tell apart from the rest of the wheel. SpaceX grade of matte paint. I will eat my hat if this is not a prototype.

About the other car, I think it is a regular 3. The proportions are a bit off because of the wide angle of the camera. But there is certainly something going on with the back door. Perhaps there is equipment there and they are covering the glass to hide.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Drax and JG T3SLA
Both cars looked a little tall to me, but then I noticed the wheels are not "round" -- partly because of the angle of the photo, but could also be some squeezing by the camera or processing. It would be interesting to overlay with Model S picture from the same angle and line up the wheels (assuming wheelbase doesn't change).

In fact you can see the white HOV sticker on the rear bumper
Which is what the older model s’s received.

Watching the video, the sticker could be purple, which is the current one. Good call in any case that Tesla would not go through the trouble of getting a sticker for a test mule. Unless it is part of the disguise...

I will try to just upload the snippet of the video when I have time. A model X it is not for sure.

Definitely there is no nosecone. Yes, it could have been removed with an upgrade fascia kit, but I did get a good look at the rear lights and for sure I had never seen those before. And as far as I know, there is no aftermarket replacement for them.

Watching the video, the sticker could be purple, which is the current one. Good call in any case that Tesla would not go through the trouble of getting a sticker for a test mule. Unless it is part of the disguise...

I will try to just upload the snippet of the video when I have time. A model X it is not for sure.

Definitely there is no nosecone. Yes, it could have been removed with an upgrade fascia kit, but I did get a good look at the rear lights and for sure I had never seen those before. And as far as I know, there is no aftermarket replacement for them.
The daytime running lights are the big giveaway, that’s the older style DRL

A1E7C214-999A-4872-81EA-8769E2EC64A7.jpeg

As for the nose cone, it could have been wrapped in matte black as well to match the whole car