Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was skeptical...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of all the sudden acceleration stories. When I read those drivers account, I always blamed it on drivers error (stepping on accelerator pedal and not the brake pedal or pulling on the cc stalk and not the signal stalk.

I had a sudden acceleration incident today, but luckily I reacted quick enough before hitting the car parked in front of me. I was driving my son to school this morning and was pulling up to park behind a car on the street. I slowly pulled forward, turning the wheel right to hug the curve and then left to straighten out the wheel. And as I let my foot off the accelerator, the car lunged forward, but I slammed on the brake before the car was able to move any further. Luckily the car in front of me was another 5 ft away.

I can concretely say that I did not press the accelerator or did my left hand touch the cc stalk when the car lunged forward. The incident left me spooked a bit, hopefully it won't happen again. I didn't call tesla to have the logs pulled because I was busy this morning. Maybe I'll call later to have the logs pulled and see what they say. You guys can interpret this how you want, I just wanted to share my account.

I have had an issue with the Driver Profiles and the key fob setting them. My wife drives with creep, and I do not. I have had times when I have entered the driver's side when she was getting into the passenger side. The seat was at a setting I could live with, so I put the car in go and drive away. I pull up to a stoplight and take my foot off of the go-pedal and the car starts moving forward.

Turns out the car did not properly recognize the driver from the fob and set it to my seat settings (or close to it) but her profile, with creep.

Not saying that's what happened here, but just relaying info.

I didn't call tesla to have the logs pulled because I was busy this morning. Maybe I'll call later to have the logs pulled and see what they say. You guys can interpret this how you want, I just wanted to share my account.
Please contact Tesla (call your local Service Center) and ask them to review the logs, giving them the time of the incident. Then please post what you hear from them after they review the logs.

Please keep in mind that Tesla does not retain vehicle logs indefinitely. You need to call them ASAP.

To those who asked about creep being on: even if it was on (and OP says it wasn't) that would not make the car "lunge" forward, as I understand the meaning of the word: "a sudden forward thrust".

Please contact Tesla (call your local Service Center) and ask them to review the logs, giving them the time of the incident. Then please post what you hear from them after they review the logs.

Please keep in mind that Tesla does not retain vehicle logs indefinitely. You need to call them ASAP.

To those who asked about creep being on: even if it was on (and OP says it wasn't) that would not make the car "lunge" forward, as I understand the meaning of the word: "a sudden forward thrust".

Called tesla, they said they will report back within 48 hours. I will report back when they do.

If tesla answers my B. It was sudden acceleration.

Would you
A short the stock
B let it effect your ownership (sell car or not rebuy)
C both
D nothing

I know they won't say that, but we have a week in Elon time to wait till tesla answers to talk about it.

Do you think you were going faster than 18 mph while making your parking maneuvers? Because that's the only way you could have engaged TACC accidentally.

Huh?

I don't think an accidental TACC engagement is a factor here, but I can engage TACC at any speed, from zero mph on up, as long as my foot isn't on the brake.

I think 18 mph is the lowest speed it can be set to, but it can be engaged below that.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and Cowby