Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish Tesla Waze was the default map in the car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't help thinking how silly it is to have the Tesla map on the top and the TeslaWaze map on the bottom when I drive. 90% of the time I know where I'm going and what I really need to know are of any traffic enforcement areas.

I really wish when the car is not actively navigating, I can replace the Tesla navigation view with TeslaWaze -- or Tesla can please just pull in all the speed camera and other traffic hazards from the Waze database and display them on the map with a customizable alert time 30 seconds before you encounter a speed camera or other traffic hazard.

This would really be super useful and take some of the stress from driving i certain areas.
I share your "wish" for Waze to work better in the car. Question - has anyone figured out a way to get audible warnings like you get on your phone from TeslaWaze? Would love not to have to constantly glance down to check for warnings. TIA!

Reactions: PhilDavid
I share your "wish" for Waze to work better in the car. Question - has anyone figured out a way to get audible warnings like you get on your phone from TeslaWaze? Would love not to have to constantly glance down to check for warnings. TIA!

Yeah this is my problem with the current setup also. Waze is designed so that it forces you to look at the screen to really figure out what's happening and it is distracting and adds stress on a long drive as I'm constantly glancing down and scanning for the tiny speed camera icons.

It seems by design because they are now showing advertisements on the Waze navigation screen so they want you to pay attention.

'm looking for an Android app that I can have running and all it does is beep when approaching a speed camera and I have yet to find an app that can do this without navigating at the same time.

Imagine an app that you never have to look at and has different beeps for speed cameras, vehicles stopped ahead, and debris on roadway. This way you can use the Tesla maps and navigation and just listen to any warning audio alerts...

Or, Tesla can integrate Waze data and make us all very happy and reduce the stress of long distance trips.

Imagine Autopilot slowing down automatically when approaching a confirmed speed trap or road debris!

Yeah this is my problem with the current setup also. Waze is designed so that it forces you to look at the screen to really figure out what's happening and it is distracting and adds stress on a long drive as I'm constantly glancing down and scanning for the tiny speed camera icons.

It seems by design because they are now showing advertisements on the Waze navigation screen so they want you to pay attention.

'm looking for an Android app that I can have running and all it does is beep when approaching a speed camera and I have yet to find an app that can do this without navigating at the same time.

Imagine an app that you never have to look at and has different beeps for speed cameras, vehicles stopped ahead, and debris on roadway. This way you can use the Tesla maps and navigation and just listen to any warning audio alerts...

Or, Tesla can integrate Waze data and make us all very happy and reduce the stress of long distance trips.

Imagine Autopilot slowing down automatically when approaching a confirmed speed trap or road debris!
Oh, I can imagine it, just not sure it will ever be a reality on my car!

Speed cameras are one of the most stressful aspects of driving in the DC area. Just to illustrate how bad the situation is, there are about 650,000 people who live in the DC area and they issued 2.3 MILLION speed camera tickets in 2017 and the numbers keep going up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tran...meras-district-earning-city-more-than-million

They hide them behind trees, on what looks like a major highway with the speed set artificially low, going down hill, and even the entrance to some on-ramps. I pity anyone who visits the area not knowing where the cameras are.

We really need some way to get Waze alerts in the car.

Right now it is silly how I need to use Waze for navigation when Tesla has the best in car navigation display.

Not sure if it works in the US but here in the Netherlands we have an app called "FlitsMeister". You can configure it to detect your cars bluetooth so that it auto enables. It warns for (mobile) speed traps and more and it the most used speed trap app here and is even more used then Waze.

Reactions: Rick M
I’m assuming that full self driving would follow the speed limit. No need to worry about speed traps.

You will get overrun with traffic if you so that around here. It's more dangerous to drive the speed limit in certain areas than to drive the speed of traffic and flow with other vehicles.

This is all the more important for lane changes. It would be super dangerous around where I live to not accelerate slightly above the current speed of traffic when doing a lane change.

But this is a separate topic altogether.

Does anyone know if the Waze speed camera database can be accessed via any sort of an API? Or is there an open source speed camera database anywhere?

Anyone knows of an Android app that warns of upcoming speed cameras without having to be navigating somewhere? Waze only alerts speed cameras when it is along a route you are navigating and most annoyingly, only if you are going over the speed limit. So you can unknowingly accelerate past a speed camera with no prior warning.

*bump* If anyone knows of an Android App that gives better alerts of speed cameras without needing to have a destination typed in within the app for navigation, please let me know.

We have some trips coming up and would like to use Navigation on Autopilot without Waze also repeating everything. The problem with Waze is that is that you need to be navigating somewhere on the Waze App to get all the useful alerts in a timely way.

17 posts from this thread just snipped for partisan political content. Some relevant content fell with it because several people felt the need to tag the politics at the end of an otherwise reasonable post.

And to the member who asked "why don't the moderators control this stuff"...here's the thing, there are a relative handful of us and if the content isn't reported and it's not in a thread I'm personally reading, I won't see it unless/until it is reported. That is YOUR responsibility as a forum member. This crap went on for 3 pages before it was reported...this is on the membership, not the moderators.

Reactions: jebinc
17 posts from this thread just snipped for partisan political content. Some relevant content fell with it because several people felt the need to tag the politics at the end of an otherwise reasonable post.

And to the member who asked "why don't the moderators control this stuff"...here's the thing, there are a relative handful of us and if the content isn't reported and it's not in a thread I'm personally reading, I won't see it unless/until it is reported. That is YOUR responsibility as a forum member. This crap went on for 3 pages before it was reported...this is on the membership, not the moderators.

THANKS!

Thanks for cleaning up the politics! I come here partly to flee from politics :p

Does anyone know if anyone has ever asked Elon about the availability of Waze or Waze-like features in the car? A friend of mine bought a new Audi and the ONLY feature in his car that I'm jealous about is he has Waze on the Audi display!

I love Waze and still use it almost daily for information like road condition and police location awareness.

But I have to give Tesla huge credit since they updated the Nav system. In my daily drives through LA traffic, Tesla NAV is consistently giving me more accurate arrival time than Waze, and provides better route to stay or get off the freeway. I'm very impressed. If Tesla can add the incident location, and police location, I'll live without Waze.

I love Waze and still use it almost daily for information like road condition and police location awareness.

But I have to give Tesla huge credit since they updated the Nav system. In my daily drives through LA traffic, Tesla NAV is consistently giving me more accurate arrival time than Waze, and provides better route to stay or get off the freeway. I'm very impressed. If Tesla can add the incident location, and police location, I'll live without Waze.

This is exactly it though. Tesla had made their maps and navigation so good that it makes it silly to use Waze for navigation but that's what you have to do now if you want to get speed camera and police alerts.

This is exactly it though. Tesla had made their maps and navigation so good that it makes it silly to use Waze for navigation but that's what you have to do now if you want to get speed camera and police alerts.

Imagine if Tesla added a "data layer" that you can turn on and off with Waze data for speed cameras and traffic stops with a customizable prominent on screen warning or alert sound as you approach them... Ah. one can dream :)

Imagine if Tesla added a "data layer" that you can turn on and off with Waze data for speed cameras and traffic stops with a customizable prominent on screen warning or alert sound as you approach them... Ah. one can dream :)
I spoke with the VP of Waze and he said the CEO has a Tesla and has tried reaching out to Elon to allow the data feed into the Tesla Nav. Elon has not responded and so WAZE's view is that Elon has no interest in working with other companies for the navigation.