Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i3 Driving Dynamics: What A Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The looks of the BMW are questionable enough (but I might convince myself to ignore them)...the driving dynamics (or lack thereof) are just bizarre coming from BMW. Motor Trend's review is the same:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1307_2014_bmw_i3_first_drive/

An excerpt from above:

Golf cart. No, I'm not comparing the i3 to one. But I'm mentioning those two panic-button words to get BMW's attention. With all the challenges electric cars are facing -- expensive batteries, slow recharging, limited range -- they absolutely cannot afford to also be saddled with a vacuous driving experience like this. I would have fretted about the car's vanilla EV-feel if it were a Toyota. Coming from a BMW, it's baffling.
At Maisach's converted airstrips, which BMW had punctuated with cone-marked lane changes and slaloms, the car lolled through corners. Yes, its steering re-aimed the car, but observed a monk-like vow of silence about the particulars. Front-end grip washed away the instant I pressed it, and under acceleration (0-60 mph in about 7 seconds) there was a weird, warbling electronic sound that's exactly like a ray gun in an old black-and-white, 1950s sci-fi movie. I felt like ducking. It was almost comical. About the best thing you can say is that its short wheelbase and hyper-angling front wheels give it a heck of a turning circle, though the pan-like Bridgestone EP500 155/70R19 tires make it look a bit like an Automoblox toy while doing it. As it rolls, the i3 is a transportation zombie that might as well be an autonomous car. In fact, it'll be a great one once the technology's available. Until then, we expect more of a BMW, and so should the company. Let's call this first drive a Mulligan. Tee up the car's driving dynamics again, please

I care about review from ordinary folks driving i3 compare to paid or unpaid journalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm ... actually Leaf is already outselling Model S at the current price (6300 vs 5150 in Q2) - let alone "any price". Infact poor sales of RAV4 EV shows range is not the only criteria.

yeah I won't be surprised either to see better leaf in 2-3 years time i.e. more miles per charge and same price point (not comparing model S to leaf but maybe genIII let see)

But using lead-acid or NiMH batteries, wouldn't the "memory" effect totally hinder the battery pack's usefulness after a relatively low number of recharge cycles?
I can't speak for lead-acid but AFAIK, NiMH batteries suffer from no significant memory effects. Toyota's sold more than 5 million hybrids worldwide with the latter.

But, it doesn't matter now. NiMH batteries for PHEV and BEV applications seem pointless now. Their energy density is pretty low.